What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm counting down the mins until I can leave work. (102 mins left.) Then home to prep boat for fishing tomorrow and pick up pizza for dinner. Maybe I'll even put together the new shelving unit I got. Let's hope I still have some motivation when I get home. 😆

AmishHeart, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.

My brain just forgot every other thought... People talked about movie theaters. We had one in town in the 80s but it could only show one movie at a time. Closed down a very long time ago. The only entertainment for young people in town slowly shut down. The skating place shut down and was turned into a warehouse. Teen pregnancies spiked. I never liked going to movie theaters though-- too many people talking over the film, standing up and getting in the way, not a fan of the snacks available, and can't pause if I need to get up. Can't rewind if I missed something. I much prefer watching stuff at home without all the people. But then, I don't really like being around people.

Went to Samsclub yesterday. Convinced Mom to go with me so we could go to the Walmart up there afterward so she can look at TV Dinners. Lots of empty space in the freezer section in both stores. Found stuff that is not available locally though. She had a salad for dinner and I racked out bc I had to load and unload all of the groceries. My brother refused to help when I got home. I had to unload stuff from the last trip (stuff like cat food & bottled water) before I could even go to Samsclub. I still have more stuff -- tp, paper towels, toilet cleaning stuff, etc-- to bring in but my back said "no".

I had a little trouble sleeping last night because my dog was having trouble getting comfortable. She kept moving around on the bed. At one point she got on my pillow and laid on my head, another time she climbed on my side (I'm a side sleeper) and started shivering uncontrollably. I wrapped her in a blanket and petted her until she stopped shivering. She moved around on top of me a few times and I kept adjusting the blankets to keep her warm. Cats wanted to sit on me as well. The dog is currently in her nest next to my bed under some pillows.

I got up and fed the cats. Found the pain patches for my brother's shoulder/arm. Biscuits came running to me for safety bc he was being chased by Yasuke. If I'm awake I break up the fights. Biscuits knows he can jump in my arms and Yasuke will stop chasing.

I'm tired and trying to wake myself up but I think I'm going to lie back down. I will have to cook for mom later and I want to be awake enough for it.

This is the space blanket I mentioned previously.

20221014_153351_HDR.jpg

Looks Like I have almost enough. But as usual plans change. The Princess summoned me to look at the ice maker.

20221014_133152_HDR.jpg

A miniature frozen Niagra falls. At some point the water feed did not shut off and over filled the ice cube tray and froze everything up solid.

Hair dryer time to defrost the glacier and get a better look. Hob nobbed with my brother and two theories resulted.

When the pressure regulating valve in my house went bad the valve for the ice maker failed to shut off the water.

The solenoid valve for the ice maker is bad.

The valve on the back of the fridge looks like this.

20221014_135433_HDR.jpg

Checked my cache of spares and found this.

20221014_135228_HDR.jpg

Checked Repair Clinic and discovered the connections are not the same as what is used in the fridge. Ordered the spare so I have it on hand.

I proceeded to put the fridge back together and so far it looks like theory #1 may be valid. Time will tell if we are OK. If not the replacement valves are being shipped.

Gotta roll with the punches. :thumbs:

Ben

This is the space blanket I mentioned previously.
Looks Like I have almost enough. But as usual plans change. The Princess summoned me to look at the ice maker.

A miniature frozen Niagra falls. At some point the water feed did not shut off and over filled the ice cube tray and froze everything up solid.

Hair dryer time to defrost the glacier and get a better look. Hob nobbed with my brother and two theories resulted.

1. When the pressure regulating valve in my house went bad the valve for the ice maker failed to shut off the water.

2. The solenoid valve for the ice maker is bad.
The valve on the back of the fridge looks like this.
Checked my cache of spares and found this.

Checked Repair Clinic and discovered the connections are not the same as what is used in the fridge. Ordered the spare so I have it on hand.

I proceeded to put the fridge back together and so far it looks like theory #1 may be valid. Time will tell if we are OK. If not the replacement valves are being shipped.

Gotta roll with the punches. :thumbs:

Ben
Do not rule out a power glitch causing a software problem.
Every several months, our fridge will stop flowing water into the icemakers, and make them 'dry-cycle' continuously, making nothing. :mad:
It has 2 ice makers and neither one works.:confused:
I unplug the fridge for 15 minutes and plug it back up... problem solved.:thumbs::p
(Oh, on topic: I paid bills today.:ghostly:)

Last edited:
Having a BLAST today, I got to relive some of my youth, scored some primo photos & video of riding that ditch, picked up a data transfer cable at WallyWorld for the ancient flip-phone pic transfer, just firing on all cylinders today... oh, wait, I was on my pedal bike and not the thumper, lol. ;)

I'm gonna be a POSTING FOOL this afternoon, now that I'm back at the ol' hacienda, showered up (again) with cold beer in hand... I have some HILARIOUS anecdotes to post too, but they will be in other threads. Cheers to alla youse H&CL knucklehaids, I hope you're having a good time today!!! :cool:

I woke up and found out that our state extension service has a brand new blog. It's being done by my former county extension service agent. He presents both conventional and organic methods if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.uaex.uada.edu/yard-garden/arkansas-garden-blog/posts/dry-weather-tips.aspx
Ordered pansy seed. Live plants are hard to find here.

Went to work and found out the construction crew changed my route to work again. Which means coming home will get interesting. I'm tempted to put my SUV in sport mode to see if it will simulate driving a tractor on a torn up road.

I woke up and found out that our state extension service has a brand new blog. It's being done by my former county extension service agent. He presents both conventional and organic methods if anyone wants to check it out.

https://www.uaex.uada.edu/yard-garden/arkansas-garden-blog/posts/dry-weather-tips.aspx
Ordered pansy seed. Live plants are hard to find here.

Went to work and found out the construction crew changed my route to work again. Which means coming home will get interesting. I'm tempted to put my SUV in sport mode to see if it will simulate driving a tractor on a torn up road.
Thanks for the blog link. The topic is one I need to research for sure. I'm sure I could help my fruit trees out.

Long week at work. Lots of stuff going on and taking the class. Just trying to not drop anything critical. Our Fire Department just got a new ambulance and are getting rid of the oldest current one. My guys are swapping all the radios and computer gear around, new antennas. I had 4 guys on it 3 days, 2 today. Mostly got it done, other than a few little things we are waiting on parts I ordered. They button it up in one more day. Had to dig for a while to find a radio faceplate. No one had them, even called the manufacture who won't sell to us. They did recommend another vendor and finally heard back from them. Got the order placed before noon.
Class is hectic, but learning a little and have a ton of web links to refer to in the future. One thing for sure is how rapidly the assigned spectrum changes. It has been stressed multiple times to ALWAYS search the internet for the most up to changes rules. Might be a frequency change, bandwidth, or a complete band change. And much of this is tightly linked world wide.
Laid back tonight, Vacation started at 3:30.
:ghostly: :dancing: :cool:

Gonna be an easy day here at the ol' hacienda, I did a lot in the past few days and my body needs time to recover, lol. But I got stuff done AND had a blast, so it's all good. Never made the hot & spicy burrito mix last night, so that's on the agenda for today, the ingredients are all fresh so an extra day won't hurt. Think I'll have some Raisin Bran Crunch for breakfast, with fresh banana & blackberries on it... oh, yeah!!! :)

I will post those trail-riding pics and that ditch video later as well, I ran outta time last night, lol. I just looked out the window and the sky is all overcast & gray, so this will be a good day to chillax on the property and not worry about going anywhere. I sure had fun the last few days though, and the clouds moving in yesterday actually kept me cool while I was riding that ditch. That was a good workout, but it came under the heading of 'Fun!' :cool:

Cleaning my building today to avoid going out in the rain tomorrow. Hopefully it rains!! Have another small job after this one! The lady's room in the downstairs part of the building is getting WAY out of hand! Only 5 women use it!!😮 WOW!! When I get home I'll bring some firewood in ahead of this week's cold front! Just a test run Tuesday night for the wood stove since it will be in the lower 30's! 90's today so I'll slip some pool time in with a few cold ones!!

I had a very productive day yesterday..
Took a long walk with the dog.
Got a few groceries
, hit the thrift store n found a coco colored sheet that's all cotton. Good for rug making.
Got a coworker one of those western shirts with the snap buttons that were popular in the 70's for 99 cents. He is a young man with a old soul. He runs the trimsaw n knapps obsidian arrows n knives when it's slow.
He wears his grandpa's old shirts n asked if I ever saw any in the thrift stores to snag them for him. I finally found one!
I picked up more chicken food from a neighbor who grinds n mixes themselves. 50 pounds for 14 bucks.
Then spent the rest of the day on the garden gate n fence project.
I have to clean up the mess today n finish tearing down about 20 feet of old fence I replaced. But it's much better n looks good.
The dog has a vet apt at 1030 so well get our walk in after since I still need to get going n coffee.
Its windy outside n chilly..its in the 40's. Will warm up to a beautiful 77 . Reminds me I have to set up the water heaters for the goats n chickens..

I’ll be plowing for 3-4 hours after the first snow storm of the season. Then beer and college football!

It's 92°, brought firewood in the house for Tuesday. Covered some firewood to keep it dry! Only saw one snake, three lizards! Hopefully didn't bring too many spiders in the house! Heading for the pool float, will miss it for about a week thanks to the cold front coming!
You are heading to the pool, I am washing my Thermal undies :p

Was not as productive as I wanted to be today. I only got half the laundry done...

I did work on the attached greenhouse, I made a wooden diffusion plenum to distribute warm air from under the yet to be installed solar panels to under the concrete floor stones. I also finished cutting a placing all the stones, that space is so out of square it isn't funny. The floor sloped 4" corner to corner and the recessed space (which is 4'x8') is an inch out of alignment on the short side. I was just thankful to get all the stone cutting done, without breaking any...

I went to HD this morning and asked for some plumber's tape, the metal stuff with holes in it for hanging pipes and ducts. They didn't have a clue..... I wasted over 30 minutes looking before I gave up and ordered it from Amazo.... But it will delay my installing my solar panels/thermal collector array on the roof of the greenhouse.

I have 2 loads of laundry yet to do before I can get a shower, my hair feels like it has been dusted with concrete..... yuck....

I'm pooped and I don't feel like I did anything......

Loaded up the camper to head to the lake tomorrow. Got it out in the driveway and got it exactly level and was going to put some of the small RV levels on the front and side. First one I took out was almost 3" off. The other nearly 1". I've done these before and they are normally very close to right.
Picked 5 gallons of various peppers last night and almost 3 gallons of maters today. Going to be around 30 Tue and Med morning, so I fully expect a frost if not a freeze. 2022 garden is 0ffically done

The Princess and I took the side by side to The Ridge last and watched the sun drop. The Leaves were changing as we discussed how to weather the crash of the dollar.

20221014_173609_HDR.jpg

Yes we tend to the nerd side. After returning home we immersed ourselves in the Rings of Power season finale.

She woke me this morning to inform me the freezer door was frozen shut. The ice cube maker problem was back with a vengeance and had filled the ice xube bin and over flowed in the dispensing shute through the door. I cleared enough to get the door open then shut off the water feed then went back to bed.

When I got up I cleared the ice cube bin and sae evidence that the ice cube maker had run a few cycles before the drip reoccurred. Good news is the solenoid valves are in transit. Bad news is I will have to survive without filtered water.

I did do some searching for information about the ice maker problem and the top two suspects are the solenoid valves and low water pressure. I just checked the water pressure at an outside hose bib that is literally within 18" off the shutoff valve for the fridge within the last month to be 55 psi which is in the range of 20-120 psi needed by the valves. So I have to sit on my hands and wait for the parts 5o be delivered.

I did learn that the type of ice maker I have has a small heater built into the tray/forms to loosen the cubes prior to extraction. Cleaver thing modern appliances.

With. the threat of " incoming" granddaughters for a sleep over I settled on full spectrum LED lights for the greenhouse and placed the order. Two 4' fixtures for each of two 4' shelves and 3 2' fixtures for each of the 3' shelves. That gives me 2' of LED lights for each linear foot of shelves.

And then the girls showed up.

Ben

Regular animal chores this morning, then got going on winterizing the chicken coops. Colder nighttime weather starting up tomorrow night. Went into the bigger town to get the Challenger washed and vacuumed, and gassed up. My sister will be visiting Wednesday, and she'll be driving my car while she's here. It's easier to get mom in and out of, and I'll drive the pickup truck. Also loaded up on more game bird feed at Tractor. Got my big bins of peppers, greens, and kale hauled into the greenhouse before the freeze hits. Tomorrow will be the pick everything in the garden day. Expect it to take most of the day. Enlisting little granddaughter's help, and she is not impressed. Ha. Neighbor was over and was impressed with my sage plant. I gave her lots of big bunches of it that she said she'd dry and put in the pork sausage this winter. She usually brings some over for us when they do pigs.

Worked all day, weird day. Nap. Dinner. Nap. Have been working with people that have cv19 and they are now quarantined.
Have fun camping @Bacpacker . Sounds like you had a good harvest.
Also taking some time off, just in time for chilly temps and rain.
@UrbanHunter I have asked for stuff in either lowes or home depot. Worthless help because they do not know what I’m talking about. I quit asking, noticed they never ask if they can help me find anything anymore.
@Neb I’m also a LOTR nerd and watched the whole season of Rings of Power and finale. I enjoy it until my son tells me it’s not lined up here or there with Tolkien’s Middle Earth history or not in accordance with the Silmarillion (sp?) and other standard works (LOL).
Cute elves @rusty !
@Hooch good scores at the store. Don’t the cowboy clothing businesses still sell western shirts? Around here I think they do.

I'm irritated and in a scratchy bad mood.
Last night I got next to no sleep because of pain so at around 2am ish I took some pain killers.
Didn't wake up until 10am feeling like groggy and out of it.
It completely upset my meds routine which made my mood worse.
Sleeping during the day knocks my night times sleep out of sync.

I'm on a darn schedule dammit and now this means meds and bed time schedule is out the window.
I may or may not be OCD about scheduling.

Latest posts

Back