What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I worked my last day with the switch gang today. They got all the goodie out of me that they could get - I worked 13 hours and I sawed 14 rails by hand with a hydraulic abrasive saw, like this one:
Screenshot_20221031-205718_Chrome.jpg

That is a lot of work, combined with all the other stuff we had to do. The switch was in the track and the welders were finishing up when I left. The surfacing gang was getting ready to raise and align the tracks and they probably will be out there til midnight. I feel for them, but it's not my problem any more.

Later this week I'll bump in on another gang. I don't like bumping somebody else out of his job, but it's just business. We have a saying out on the tracks - "If you don't have the seenie, you get the weenie". Seenie is another word for seniority, and if you're the low man you're the first one to get bumped.

So, I worked my last day with the switch gang today. They got all the goodie out of me that they could get - I worked 13 hours and I sawed 14 rails by hand with a hydraulic abrasive saw, like this one:
View attachment 97192
That is a lot of work, combined with all the other stuff we had to do. The switch was in the track and the welders were finishing up when I left. The surfacing gang was getting ready to raise and align the tracks and they probably will be out there til midnight. I feel for them, but it's not my problem any more.

Later this week I'll bump in on another gang. I don't like bumping somebody else out of his job, but it's just business. We have a saying out on the tracks - "If you don't have the seenie, you get the weenie". Seenie is another word for seniority, and if you're the low man you're the first one to get bumped.
RR is not just a "regular" job!!

Took little granddaughter and neighbor boy Levi to the Trunk or Treat. They ended up with a crazy amount of candy. Walked through a small haunted house there and little granddaughter was scared silly. Took them to Freddie's afterwards for a chocolate concrete. Sugared out and ready for bed

Kids? Ever see politicians?
Adult kids. Love them, try to guide them along, but this last one. I erased what I was talking about. I never would have worked it out like that, sorry to be so vague. The home nest became a little roomier today and someone has changed her name.
:cry: :thumbs: :good luck:
Lots of mixed emotions going on.
🍾🥇❤️‍🩹

Last edited:
If he will tolerate it, have him stand with his cut foot in a bucket of tepid epsom salt water for about 15 min. Works wonders, but sometimes they don't know what's good for them and don't want to participate 😖 Looks like I'm late.
Holding on to a buck with his hoof in a bucket for 15 miutes? sorry but hahahahaha!!! NOT our bucks..he would kill himself trying to get out , sheep are even worse. I could maybe do it with a doe and put her on the milk stand which I use for hoof trimming but the buck is way too big to fit on there. I had a hard enough time getting a bandage on it ( tied up to a post husband holding the hoof. But the idea is good. I did that myself when I had my accident and it did help my foot heal up.

went to town yesterday , again, getting tired of all that driving. Husband had a dentist appointment and we were out of milk. That new milk goat needs to go into production...when we had 2, we had way too much milk, now I am forever running out and I really don't like store cow milk. Goat is so much better. She is only half milk goat , half Kiko so we'll see how it goes. If it doesn't I can buy another milk goat but the problem with that is the other goats won't like her...
So I spent an hour shopping while he was at the dentist . It's amazing how you can spend $200 now and get very little

Patchoulie: sometimes kids go through phases of making bad decisions but eventually they will figure it out. My daughter did that, she started and stopped going to college a few times, got engaged then dumped the guy while we were planning the wedding, then after getting a decent but low paying to start job she quit everything and joined the Navy...then she had a big wedding in the middle of Covid to a guy much younger in a State that was open so we all had to drive there....but things seem to be ok mostly now...we'll see, I worry about her

Going to wrap up the details on a new job today (schedule, pay, etc.)! One of my ladies had to move to assisted living recently, so I wasn't going to look for a replacement job until after the holidays. But the son and daughter in law of another client caught wind of my opening and jumped on it! Nice people, nice house, known them for a long time. So I'm excited to fill that spot so quickly. Need to stop at Dollar Tree (oops, 1.25 Tree), and the dreaded Walmart too!! I'll be sure to tell Karen hi for everyone😃! Then I am hitting the pool float for a bit when I get home!!

Riding the KLR 650 in the Sacramento Mountains on a gorgeous fall day!!! Primo scenery!!! Wildlife galore!!! :woo hoo:

Picnic lunch with a big ol' Ham & Swiss sandwich on Italian bread!!! Cold beer in my "mobile cooler!" :dancing:

"Flamin' Hot Peanuts" & mini candy bars on the side!!! A "Flamin' Hot Matador Stick" made of beef, pork & mechanically-separated chicken!!! "HEALTH FOOD, BABY, HEALTH FOOD!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" :Dancing Chicken:

IMG_1107.JPG

Cue the Offspring tune!!! "GOTTA KEEP 'EM SEPARATED!!!" :dead horse:

The Offspring
Y'ALL BE GOOD, I'M OFF TO RIDE THE MONSTER THUMPER IN THE MOUNTAINS, WOOHOO!!! :fun fun:

Last edited:
@Amish Heart Oh sorry! Aw man! It was all NORMAL life stuff, so no worries on “odd” life choices. It is kind of hard leading up to the kids’ life events without my husband. In my life we were equal partners and coped by discussion and support. Hard to face some of this stuff alone.
@sonya123 some of my kids have been very certain and “stable” (hahahaaaa), while this young one likes lots of options! Hope everything works out for your girl too. It will, it all works out.
Things are really good at work, as far as my position goes. Had a great review. No complaints.

picked up the M206. New guy learning the ropes, took a while but if he lived through me he will be fine;

Tis not a Ruger, but will do the job. next time will save 700 bucks to get something goood, but it's a car gun

cylinder release is backwards.

@Amish Heart Oh sorry! Aw man! It was all NORMAL life stuff, so no worries on “odd” life choices. It is kind of hard leading up to the kids’ life events without my husband. In my life we were equal partners and coped by discussion and support. Hard to face some of this stuff alone.
@sonya123 some of my kids have been very certain and “stable” (hahahaaaa), while this young one likes lots of options! Hope everything works out for your girl too. It will, it all works out.
Things are really good at work, as far as my position goes. Had a great review. No complaints.
I swore our youngest was going to be the death of me or send me to prison for beating him to death. He's 27 now and finally in a stable relationship with a stable job and seems happy. When we moved him out of the nest forciablly at 23 it was sink or swim. They'll come around, I like to think they eventually remember all the life lessons and things we tried to teach them as youngens.

I had to chase through my math books to find algebra books. I am the designated math tutor for the granddaughters and Olivia is looking at an F in algebra this grading period.

So I visited and got past some issues. The biggest is she has been looking at math like so many other subjects where she just has to pass a test and never had to deal with it again. I tried to make it clear that math builds on the previous info and it will come back up eventually.

So adapter some tears we walked through some problems until eventually she said " I can do this so much faster if you let me do the writing." She demonstrated she could do it so I cut it short not wanting to torture her. ( oh for the days when the answers to algebra problems worked out to nice whole numbers).

I plan on visiting every week to see if she can escape the pending F.

Tomorrow I pickup the windows for the remodel place.

Ben

Last edited:
Lunchtime. Since this is a special project and we're working on our scheduled days off, per union regs they either have to feed us or pay us extra money. Today they brought us smashburgers from The Flying Elbow grill. It's pretty good. Yesterday we got chopped brisket sandwiches from a local BBQ joint. Usually they just get pizza so I'm actually impressed.

It started raining 45 minutes ago so we're eating in the truck. We just got word that our next project will be in Polo, Missouri. It's pretty country down there, but the locals can be...interesting. I think there's more people on meth than not...
You're getting close to my neck of the woods again.
And you would be correct about the "Meth" for the most part.

Spent all afternoon working on the basement pantry, taking a couple shelving units apart and putting them back together in a different configuration. And changing out the particle board shelves for plywood. It just takes so long because there's so much stuff packed in there that it's hard to move around, can only do a little bit at a time. Really looking forward to having that organized, but still have a way to go...

Working on greenhouse plastic repair. Got the worst of it done this afternoon, did a whole slanted 12 ft by 10 ft panel from the inside. Husband asked if the new stuff I put up was stretched tight with no slack (ha ha ha). Replasticed a side panel. Have one more roof section that needs big repair, but it was too windy to get ahold of it. Tomorrow. Almost done till the next wind storm.

I fell in love today with a beautiful gal I met... she's a Japanese exchange student and, wouldn'tcha know it, her name is Kawasaki, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Damn, I hate it when that happens!!! :oops:

Man, oh man... I logged 205.7 miles on the tripmeter today, and that Offspring tune was stuck in my head as I pulled the grade to Cloudcroft, passing folks in the "passing lanes" and at other opportune moments, lol. :rolleyes:

That big ol' thumper just gets better & better, though it has its limitations since it's an Enduro or "dual sport" bike. Not quite powerful enough to be a rice rocket, not quite light enough to be a radical trail or MX bike, lol... but it'll do for now! ;)

Sorry about the cr@ppy audio in that Offspring tune, it was the first video I found which featured that tune... I guess the 'Sadistic Pancake' had some cr@ppy sound equipment, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That knucklehaid!!! :eek:

Pics to be posted soon in my 'KLR 650' thread! Weather played a factor today: remember when I posted that pic of Sierra Blanca yesterday and I said it looked as if rain or snow were coming down? Well, it DID, lol... 🥶

Snow on the ground and parts of the road up in the high country, so I changed my riding plans... those Dunlop knobbies are great tires, but they aren't meant to handle snow & ice unless it's in the dirt, lol. Pavement, NO DICE!!! 😒

Anyway, it's all good, I'm back at the ol' hacienda, I'm showered up and in PAR-TAY mode... never even had ONE beer on today's ride! Hard to believe, but it's true! I'll tell ya WHY as I post pics in the other thread in a bit! Bong hit first! Lol. 🥳

And a cold beer too! And DAMN, does that cold beer taste GOOD!!! Hey, 205.7 miles of twisties & 'Accept' action... as in this video by wannabe glam-rock stars (and a dwarf in camo who sounds like Bon Scott or Brian Johnson, lol). o_O

Accept Video

Like vocally-challenged and verbally stiff (but still heller rich) Ah-nold 'The Terminator' (or a bad rash): "I'LL BE BACK!!!" 🤪

Last edited:
You're getting close to my neck of the woods again.
And you would be correct about the "Meth" for the most part.
And now I've been bumped out of that particular job and I'm moving to a different work group. I'm about 75% sure my next gig will be on the Wisconsin side of the Chicago-land area...

I had to chase through my math books to find algebra books. I am the designated math tutor for the granddaughters and Olivia is looking at an F in algebra this grading period.

So I visited and got past some issues. The biggest is she has been looking at math like so many other subjects where she just has to pass a test and never had to deal with it again. I tried to make it clear that math builds on the previous info and it will come back up eventually.

So adapter some tears we walked through some problems until eventually she said " I can do this so much faster if you let me do the writing." She demonstrated she could do it so I cut it short not wanting to torture her. ( oh for the days when the answers to algebra problems worked out to nice whole numbers).

Ben
A quick story that might encourage her: I was failing algebra in HS & struggled along - but I knew what level and plumb were and could read a tape measure and build a solid feeder for the critters etc. When I first went to college - it was about the same. I didn't finish college the first go round. When I went back, it all just clicked. I aced math & science and my math teacher and my peers encouraged (begged, pushed) me to be a math teacher which I had no desire to do. So please tell her not to give up. She will use math all her life and at some point as long as she doesn't convince herself she hates it, it will probably click.

Spent all afternoon working on the basement pantry, taking a couple shelving units apart and putting them back together in a different configuration. And changing out the particle board shelves for plywood. It just takes so long because there's so much stuff packed in there that it's hard to move around, can only do a little bit at a time. Really looking forward to having that organized, but still have a way to go...
When you're finished, you will want to just go and stand in there and admire it. (oh, or is that just me?) 😂

And now I've been bumped out of that particular job and I'm moving to a different work group. I'm about 75% sure my next gig will be on the Wisconsin side of the Chicago-land area...
You like Wisc. in winter remember - almost as much as Wyom. 😂 (Please don't block me.)

Ben
Khan Academy | Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice. has some good resources, visited there a lot when I was a tutor.

Latest posts

Back