What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a coffee, planning things while the sun shines. I noticed that a couple of members are, hoping were considering leaving, I hope not, i will say that this winter has had a bit of lively discussion, most healthy. we have members from all walks of life here, Self reliance is a mindset, not a location specif thing,and as other have pointed out we are all getting older so chore get less appealing everyday. the controversial threads and people who may irritate you are easy to avoid. we have a GREAT bunch of people here and GREAT mods.

Thanks, Patchouli, AmishHeart, Viking, Tommyice, and Tirediron. I appreciate the support. It is winter and the blahs do get at you. It really is a wonderful group here and I like being here. <3 I’ve never felt unwelcome either, just was questioning if my presence here had value. I’m very grateful to hear that it does.

Amish, sending you love and prayers for you and your husband. Chronic illness is so hard.

Ben, feel better! Achilles tendon damage hurts like heck, been there done that, and don’t miss it. Hope you recover soon.

Congrats, winds-of-change! He’s precious. Welcome, little one!

We had a light snow this morning, it took me by surprise! Now just 30 and windy. Got husband all cleaned up and back to normal, and he looks better. Still working on the salt/water weight he put on those three days. About ready to get lunch going, then off to Aldi this afternoon. Fire sure feels good.

Having a coffee, planning things while the sun shines. I noticed that a couple of members are, hoping were considering leaving, I hope not, i will say that this winter has had a bit of lively discussion, most healthy. we have members from all walks of life here, Self reliance is a mindset, not a location specif thing,and as other have pointed out we are all getting older so chore get less appealing everyday. the controversial threads and people who may irritate you are easy to avoid. we have a GREAT bunch of people here and GREAT mods.
:clapping:

I'm pinching that bolded part for my signature line.

What Texas is doing, is working. :)
The cartels watch the news and are shifting their caravans over to the AZ and CA borders:

I can't believe my buddy Blake Hanson is their reporter!:woo hoo:

Well, my last trip to Italy was cancelled due to COVID lock downs. Today, we booked another Italy trip, which goes pretty much through the country by Planes, Trains, Busses, boats, goldola's and automobiles.

As they say, ya can't take it with you!
Have a great time, Havasu.

The Achilles tendon injury really cramps my style and what I can do without risk of re- injury. So I worked in the greenhouse. Cleaned up the past due radishes and lettuce. Pretty much ready to start the onions and leek seeds on Monday. Switched to a high dome over the blackberry sprouts.

20240216_145523.jpg

Bow sitting with heat pad on my ankle and waiting on the snow scheduled for this evening.

Ben

The Achilles tendon injury really cramps my style and what I can do without risk of re- injury. So I worked in the greenhouse. Cleaned up the past due radishes and lettuce. Pretty much ready to start the onions and leek seeds on Monday. Switched to a high dome over the blackberry sprouts.

View attachment 124622

Bow sitting with heat pad on my ankle and waiting on the snow scheduled for this evening.

Ben
Sorry to hear about the Achilles tendon injury. The greenhouse looks great and a nice place to hang out in early spring. Is it heated?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the Achilles tendon injury. The greenhouse looks great and a nice place to hang out in early spring.
Thanks.

It doesn't bother me as long as I don't stretch it. Last time I pulled it it took 5 days to heal. It does prevent me from the projects like pouring a footer and clearing the gardens as I had planned.

About 30 years ago I had a neighbor that told me...

"Ben, whatever you do, don't get old."

I should have taked her advise. ;)

Ben

Thanks, Patchouli, AmishHeart, Viking, Tommyice, and Tirediron. I appreciate the support. It is winter and the blahs do get at you. It really is a wonderful group here and I like being here. <3 I’ve never felt unwelcome either, just was questioning if my presence here had value. I’m very grateful to hear that it does.

Amish, sending you love and prayers for you and your husband. Chronic illness is so hard.

Ben, feel better! Achilles tendon damage hurts like heck, been there done that, and don’t miss it. Hope you recover soon.

Congrats, winds-of-change! He’s precious. Welcome, little one!
Sounds like you are stuck with us now, lol!! ♥️

I'm so tired my brain isn't processing and I can't remember the order of things I did today. I organized some stuff in my bathroom, took out trash, hauled a bunch of trash bags from in front of the porch out to the burn pile, got winded doing that so I took a break-- still have two bags sitting in my cart to haul over. Unloaded a bunch of stuff from the truck and put it away. Scooped some leaves and crud out of the cows' waterer. Scared a frog. Stepped in a fire ant mound. Went back inside and fed the kitties. Noticed Itsy was missing so searched for her for about 30min before she showed up in the kitchen. Then Fippy was missing so I went looking for him. No idea where he was hiding but he apparently sauntered in to the living room while I was out looking for him. Watched some TV and ate a sandwich. Cooked for Mom and am about to take a nap. Will have to drive my brother to work later so I need some rest.

Well, my last trip to Italy was cancelled due to COVID lock downs. Today, we booked another Italy trip, which goes pretty much through the country by Planes, Trains, Busses, boats, goldola's and automobiles.

We were going to Italy after daughter graduated highschool, she wanted to go there. So I booked tickets on Alitalia airline , had the whole trip planned out and booked , we get to the airport and we were told " your tickets are no good" . I was on the phone for hours but it was a no go. They said " the tickets were cancelled" . It was the single most worst thing that ever happened on a trip. Well, before the trip. It took me almost a year to get my money back from my credit card company ( which did pay for them). I had boarding passes printed out and everything. Still don't know how they could get away with that.

So I hope you didn't buy tickets from Alitalia.....if you did , PRAY!

I had a productive day today. Made 3 extra meals today to freeze ( fettuccine with chicken and broccoli)
trying out to see if this works as well as the frozen pizzas i made. LOL son keeps eating the pizzas, I can't keep up with production!! I told him he needs to stop or he will have to join me on the diet soon
Cleaned the kitchen after the mess I mad

Took dog for a hike up the mountain

Sorted through all my old photos, even started up an old desktop from 20 years ago ( still works, it's a Dell)
I found all our trip photos except one trip to Yellowstone, no idea where they went. I have some discs with photos on them I will look at tomorrow

When my mom was in "independent" living at the place she lives...she didn't really cook, but could heat up. I made her freezer meals, and her favorite was the pizzas. I even cut cardboard circles out to put them on. Came out well...did some cheese only, some cheese and sausage, some with bell pepper and onion and mushroom. It'd be good to do that for us again when I have some free time.

Hi Faez,

Your post is timely; I have begun to wonder if I should stick around on this forum, myself. While I’m interested in aspects of homesteading, I recognize that a) I live in the ‘burbs, so homesteading for me is necessarily limited, b) my allergies will prevent me from ever doing a number of the “homesteader” things like keeping animals or heating with wood, and c) my interests have started to move elsewhere, although they still involve gardening, cooking, and working with my hands.

I enjoy the people here — great people of common sense and good hearts. And I enjoy putting in my 2¢ now and then, but am aware that I’m not really the “target audience”, either, and am not sure if I should stay.
dont leave...

by the way...take a Zyrtec...if not into that..stick tissue up your nose...get a cloth handkerchief..or learn to blow snot rockets out in garden and yard !

p.s. if all else fails..use ya sleeve or bare arm...at least pretend to be tough and hardboiled and pickled...neighbors will love ya !

This probably belongs on the 'rant' page but I wanted to tie into the previous post.
I got my new CC with the new number today!
Went on Verizon, changed the number and paid my bill:thumbs:.
Then wasted an hour and a half of my life with EarthLink tech support.
The girl said she would send me a one-time secure email to change the CC number that would only be good for 15 minutes.
I checked my email continuously, nothing!
Finally got it an hour later, and guess what, EXPIRED!gaah
...Many innocent beer cans will die tonight.:mad:
I won! :woo hoo:
Got smart and fired up my old PC that I haven't used since 2019!:oops:.
Took 3 pulls on the crankrope to get it to fire up.
Using my old Firefox browser, I logged in to Earthlink.
Got a bar that said: "browser no longer supported", which I ignored :rolleyes:.
Easily went into the 'My Account' page and changed the CC number it bills to.:D
My 2 communication sources are repaired! :thumbs:
Think I'll celebrate with a couple of beers.:drink buddy:

Man, if only Zyrtec was enough. I’m on allergy shots, daily allergy med, and quercitin, which works to help control your mast cells from overreacting.

The shots are working — I’m much less allergic than I was — but it’s going to be another two-three years at least before I no longer have to have them once a week.

And during that time, I have just been informed that I will be going as your chaperone (pleeeeeze 🙏😇😊). 😂

The north wind is blowing hard!🙄 Going to take Bear for a walk in the woods. Will cuddle with the donkey for a bit, when I feed him. Will fire up the wood stove shortly and dream of the 80° temps coming next week!!
I just sneezed that direction. You’re welcome 🌬️ 💨

Man, if only Zyrtec was enough. I’m on allergy shots, daily allergy med, and quercitin, which works to help control your mast cells from overreacting.

The shots are working — I’m much less allergic than I was — but it’s going to be another two-three years at least before I no longer have to have them once a week.
Not sure what you do/use, but laundry products (fragrances) do me in. And it seems like they are getting more intense with the “fresh for 6 month” stuff.

Not sure what you do/use, but laundry products (fragrances) do me in. And it seems like they are getting more intense with the “fresh for 6 month” stuff.
Those destroy me. I use All Free and Clear, and that’s about it. I don’t even use dryer sheets.

They did testing for me, and I’m not very allergic to anything, but I am allergic to a large number of things — 12 out of the 36 things they tested. Fortunately, I’m not allergic to any foods!

View attachment 124633So middle niece and family on Hubby’s side are coming to visit tomorrow morning. I will make an omelet bake in the morning but made blueberry scones and banana nut bread today.
View attachment 124632
That looks amazing! I’m coming over — well, I would, if I wasn’t supposed to be up at 0-why-o’clock for that avalanche avoidance training.

Latest posts

Back