What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel a little deprived. I've never heard of most of the shows that are being discussed here.
I didn't grow up on TV and movies so I never got hooked. Usually the thought of sitting around for an hour or two watching some show and all the mind numbing commercials that go along with it is more than I can take. I'll watch a few old shows occasionally, but only if I record them first and then cut out the commercials.

I feel a little deprived. I've never heard of most of the shows that are being discussed here.
I didn't grow up on TV and movies so I never got hooked. Usually the thought of sitting around for an hour or two watching some show and all the mind numbing commercials that go along with it is more than I can take. I'll watch a few old shows occasionally, but only if I record them first and then cut out the commercials.
My television hasn't been turned on for months, and even then, I haven't watched an hour of it in about a year and a half, so no commercials. I watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Youtube and a few free networks that I can stream. Commercials are something that my daughter does not like and since we share streaming services, she has made sure that almost everything is commercial free.
My dad serviced televisions in the 1950's and we had one of the first televisions in my area. The challenge was that we only received one station for a while, and then we eventually received two, and a number of years later, we received 3 stations! My mother loved music and we watched music when it was on the television, and when it wasn't, my mother had the radio on, listening to music as much as possible.
My parents took us to the drive-in when my mother was still alive, but I was probably asleep when the movies started. My mother was a fan of dancing and anything artistic. My parents went to the dances that were within 50 miles of where we lived.

When it is dark in the evening, I look for movies to watch. I also read, but especially since the pandemic, I've probably watched a movie every day on average.

Last edited:
Lately I have been using an AmazonFire Stick to watch tv, found that there are a lot of free TV channels streamed directly through the stick. I know that I am paying for a lot of services that I wasn't planning on, I have Amazon Prime and because it was "free" with my phones we have Disney.. The wife and I spend over an hour watching America's Test Kitchen

...and Very-little 'woke' crap / 'pushing' of SJW and/or LGBTQXYZ-crap.. :rolleyes:
I've watched 3 Netflix shows recently that had unnecessary L & G interactions. One was a post-sex "wow that was amazing" scene by one character with a stable boy introduced just for that scene and who didn't appear later, and the scene did not advance any element of the story...and interestingly, they did not waste time on any heterosexual relationships at all. These are becoming very common. The word has gone out: "Mainstream it. Stick in a relationship like that in every show so middle American families get more exposed to this."

I've watched 3 Netflix shows recently that had unnecessary L & G interactions. One was a post-sex "wow that was amazing" scene by one character with a stable boy introduced just for that scene and who didn't appear later, and the scene did not advance any element of the story...and interestingly, they did not waste time on any heterosexual relationships at all. These are becoming very common. The word has gone out: "Mainstream it. Stick in a relationship like that in every show so middle American families get more exposed to this."
It seems that there is a genre for this category now. Yuck! We are being indoctrinated, aren't we? Maybe the hope is that this will depopulate the world? I know people who fit these categories, but I am not seeking out anything relative to this topic, because I am not interested. Once in a while I see a title for a movie and when I do a little research about the movie and find out that that is part of it, I generally stay away from it.

...We are being indoctrinated, aren't we?...
I really am a live and let live kind of guy. I really don't care what people do on their own time, as long as they aren't hurting anyone. I don't even care if Netflix carries shows in which that kind of thing is an integral part of the story line...I just won't watch those shows.

But, when it isn't part of the story, and they are forcing that kind of stuff into the show where it obviously does not belong, solely to indoctrinate people, that is very annoying.

My wife had to work evenings this last week. So I watched a few more movies. I'll tell you, in the last month and a half I've watched more movies than I have in the previous 20 years. I've done eight movies!

I watched the first Hobbit movie. I think that was released in 2012. So I'm a bit behind the times. Not too bad, it kept my interest for the entire 3 hours it lasted. The day before that, I watched an oldie - Armageddon (with Bruce Willis). Just as silly this second time as the first time I watched it. But still entertaining. Before that I actually watched a new movie, recently released. "Old" by M. Knight Shyamalan. That one was pretty interesting too. Different concept, but some thought provoking ideas - especially for us older folks who may be seeing life passing by at a higher speed than we'd like. I'm a little too dense to pick up on all that during the actual movie, but things came to light when I watched the extras included on the DVD (got it from the library).

Just finished this one, end of the world meteor sort of movie.
Was it any good? Hard to tell from the trailer if it would be good or bad. Of course, what some consider to be bad are what I consider to be greatness. Example: Tremors. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Love those movies. My wife hates both.

Was it any good? Hard to tell from the trailer if it would be good or bad. Of course, what some consider to be bad are what I consider to be greatness. Example: Tremors. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Love those movies. My wife hates both.

It was ok/long, by no means Tremors but it did have some funny parts.

So I watched a few more movies. I'll tell you, in the last month and a half I've watched more movies than I have in the previous 20 years. I've done eight movies!
This is me before the pandemic. I have watched more movies since the beginning of the pandemic than ever before in my life, even including the ones I slept through at the drive in with my parents. Keeps me home. Keeps me safer.

Last year I bought the box set of the "Soprano's" and the series "Breaking Bad". I like both, started watching them a 2nd time a few weeks ago. I really liked Longmire, was bummed when they canceled the show. Oh, I also got the box set of "My name is Earl". It's funny as heck, haven't finished watching it.
I loved Breaking Bad and the prequel Better Call Saul is great. It has one more season to go.

Thanks, I had actually planned on doing one couple-weeks back.. Wasn't planning to watch it (based on the preview, seemed like :rolleyes: but, let it roll, and Yah - have to second this:

.."Don't Look Up"...the movie is more than that. I think it is a critique of our entire system of government, social media, insane society. I think it is a modern day Ideocracy.

Indeed, it was brilliant Thermonuclear-Lampooning of the 'MSM' / Celebrity-pundit "news" shows, Pop / Music-Industry-culture / everyones Social-media addiction, and Vanity over pragmatism / the '1% of the 1% Elites' and their "solutions" for Mankinds plight - Hilarious, sardonic ending - I bet even @Aerindel would have Loved that one! 😂

...Though I saw the "President" being more like an 'what if HRC had gotten In'-lampoon, but.. Regardless, yeah - it was Well-done Grade A satire. 👍

jd

Tonight I watched the movie "Invincible". This was the first time I watched it from the very beginning and it made me think about the things around us today, the white privilege that everyone talks about. The movie reminds me of all the hard times so many of us have lived through. I'm sad to think that it is only get worse for those who follow......

But I have to say that I loved looking at all those old muscle cars that decorated the movie.....

I watched The Rise of Skywalker tonight. I had never seen the ending before. The 3 newest Star Wars movies were all good, but...they weren't like the originals. My daughter has never seen Star Wars. She thinks it looks kind of old and lame. I might have to force her to watch it. And I'll take the Sim card out of her phone first so she can't watch Tik Tok during it...😉

The last few days I’ve been watching the Barrett-Jackson Auction from Scottsdale AZ. Some incredible cars and mind blowing prices. Cars that were $100K-$120K not long ago are selling for $250K. Specials cars though, numbers matching, all sorts of pedigrees. Two have sold for $4 Million! Burt Reynold's personal Trans Am brought more than a million.

There are also a great many custom cars too… all selling “no reserve”. In this auction that seems to mean – no reserved top limit! All I can do is drool at all the trucks. A great many of those too. Nicely modded silverado’s selling for $180K, a few over $300K.

Beautiful cars and trucks to see!

Last edited:
It seems that there is a genre for this category now. Yuck! We are being indoctrinated, aren't we? Maybe the hope is that this will depopulate the world? I know people who fit these categories, but I am not seeking out anything relative to this topic, because I am not interested. Once in a while I see a title for a movie and when I do a little research about the movie and find out that that is part of it, I generally stay away from it.

You know what's really depressing? It's spreading! I used to love Bollywood movies. The last 2 I started watching in Netflix where LGBDXYZ crap. I stopped watching and gave it a thumbs down....I don't really care what people do with their sex live, but I don't need to see it. The only question I have is it Netflix intentionally picking those movies, or is it India now caving in to that crap also.
I wonder how long until my Chinese and Korean soap operas have transgenders in it. I guess I will start watching stuff from Pakistan or Iran....

Yes, but not much anymore. I was sad back in the day when Dukes of Hazard was done. I also was bummed when McGyver was done. I'm a Supernatural dork but it was time for it to end.....probably past time.

The last episode of season 5 was better than the last episode of season 15.

Hmmmmm...I liked season 5 ending but liked season 15 ending better....
I didn't particularly like season 7 but loved the rest. I thought season 11 was great
I thought Chuck fit reality pretty well. If there was a god, and he was like Chuck it would certainly explain why crap on earth is the way it is. That's what I thought
Ultimately , it is all fiction and not real. Even the so called "reality tv show" which I like watching sometimes are fake and staged. You can tell by the winners, lots of women, lots of black women, lots of gays, very few young white males. They throw one it occasionally to make it look legit but that's all

The last few utube videos I've watched required me to watch over 2 minutes of ads before my video so no more utube for me.
I use Roku for almost all of my viewing.

While an add is playing I can up arrow and get to a menu that tells me why I am being shown the add and a further option skip the add and tell youtube why...

Redundent
Irrelevant...

After a week or so the adds are almost 95% adds I want to watch...

Machining
Engineering
Saw mills
Tools...

But apparently because I am over 45 years old, youtube thinks I need to watch Depends adds.

Just saying

Ben

Thanks Ben, we're actually getting ready to turn on our Roku. I don't want to provide any income for screwtube so this is just one more excuse to walk away from their platform.

Thanks Ben, we're actually getting ready to turn on our Roku. I don't want to provide any income for screwtube so this is just one more excuse to walk away from their platform.
Using Roku you can also pause your viewing history. The history is what what youtube algorithms uses to suggest videos.

You should also setup multiple accounts to keep your feed clean. The granddaughters were using my account to watch " Come Play with Me" (one of of the most viewed channels on youtube) and that defiled my video feed. They have now been trained to not use my account.

Use the thumbs up on any and every video you enjoyed. It shapes the algorithms.

This what the browse by category looks like for me.

20220131_205622_HDR.jpg

Youtube is a beast that can be trained to serve our desires. :thumbs:

Ben

Using Roku you can also pause your viewing history. The history is what what youtube algorithms uses to suggest videos.

You should also setup multiple accounts to keep your feed clean. The granddaughters were using my account to watch " Come Play with Me" (one of of the most viewed channels on youtube) and that defiled my video feed. They have now been trained to not use my account.

Use the thumbs up on any and every video you enjoyed. It shapes the algorithms.

This what the browse by category looks like for me.

View attachment 79431

Youtube is a beast that can be trained to serve our desires. :thumbs:

Ben
utube restricts right wing posts and spies on their customers. I can no longer support any business that does that. I got rid of google and hotmail years ago due to the spying. I've been trying for years to get away from utube. To make it work I need to "just say no."

Latest posts

Back