What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I'm watching James Arness in the old 'HOW THE WEST WAS WON' series... been working my way through the lot over the past few nights. Some episodes are cheesy, but the Western scenery totally makes up for the cheesiness, lol. ;)

That's what I like about Westerns, especially old Westerns... the plot may be thin, but the scenery is AWESOME! :cool:

Some of that scenery is probably long gone by now, nothing but ugly tract housing as far as the eye can see, punctuated by the occasional Walmart SuperCenter, lol... :oops:

I'm off to watch another episode or two, maybe have a cold beer since I'm not really that hungry... had lunch earlier and I reckon it was enough. Enjoy your show, I'm gonna do the same here. Cheers!!! 🍺

I like watching them, have never seen a big group take off though. Long ago I was staying at a hotel, working in seattle wa. In the field behind it they launched hot air balloon rides for tourists. Cool to see, no desire to fly again but maybe a balloon ride.
They used to have the Balloon Stampede here on Mother's Day every year. Then they got greedy because some years it would rain and they couldn't go up so didn't bring in as much $$$ so tried changing the weekend. They could still all be filled up etc. and it was one of the events that was primarily the locals. They have the night glow in the evening. They changed it so much, I don't even think they have it any more.

Movie night for the wife and I. We've developed a routine of picking a night to watch movies, and we usually watch an action/adventure/scifi/spy thriller movie for me, and a romance/comedy for her...always mine first, because she says she can't get to sleep after watching my movies.

Tonight, we started with The Marksman. I'm going to give it a B...maybe a B+? Pretty good action flick. I like Liam Neeson...although I'm not sure the Irishman was the best actor to cast for a Marine Veteran, Arizona rancher. ..but, he does a decent job. The film does have some great moments, as the trailer shows...some good M1 and then Mini-14(?) action scenes. :)

We finished movie night with The Secret: Dare to Dream. It was "her movie," but I'm going to have to give it a solid A. Very enjoyable. She gets a slight victory tonight. :)

Last edited:
I watched "eating our way to extinction" on prime... it is an anti-meat "documentary" about the food supply chain and global warming. Some of the stuff is intended to gross you out and a lot of it is designed to guilt you into veganism.

I haven't checked out this thread in a while b/c I haven't really actively watched much of anything.....just had the TV on while doing other things. Well, we got rid of our Dish so now we either have to watch local channels from the antenna or access our TV or Movies from our sons library. He can pretty much get anything we want. So, he's been bugging me to watch Mandalorian. I watched both seasons and LOVED it....just like he said I would for the last couple of years. LOL! Next week I might start watching the Boba Fett series that he said is great too.

We finished movie night with The Secret: Dare to Dream. It was "her movie," but I'm going to have to give it a solid A. Very enjoyable. She gets a slight victory tonight. :)

That movie looks awesome! Thanks for the recommendation!

Today I watched "3 days of the Condor" from 1975, the dialog in the last 5 minutes of the movie remind me of today...

When the CIA section chief says to the Condor, "It's simple economics. Today it's oil, right? In 10 of 15 years -- food, plutonium, and maybe even sooner. Now What do you think the people are going to want us to do then?" Condor replies, "Ask them." The section Chief replies," Not now. Then. Ask them when they're running out. Ask them when there's no heat in their homes and they're cold. Ask them when their engines stop. Ask them when people who have never known hunger start going hungry. Do you want to know something? They won't want us to ask them. They'll just want us to get it for them."

Currently binging Zoo. Pretty cheesy but some hidden in plain sight stuff. Really annoyed me though that throughout the first season they kept referring to 2,4-D as a pesticide *eyeroll*. That said it's entertaining and mindless viewing.

I watched Interstellar. The trailer sucked me in and it had a decent movie score. I would not recommend it. It was confusing and trippy and was a long flick. I was hoping it would be something along the lines of Contact b/c I liked that one, but it wasn't. I think it could've been edited down significantly and made shorter. It just didn't do it for me and I typically love SciFi flicks.

The Princess has been working hard so I chose to indulge her on movie nights. So we dished the 3rd Harry Potter movie and have the rest still waiting. She has read all of the books and owns all of 5he movies but ...

I am indulging her. :rolleyes:

Ben

I watched Interstellar. The trailer sucked me in and it had a decent movie score. I would not recommend it. It was confusing and trippy and was a long flick. I was hoping it would be something along the lines of Contact b/c I liked that one, but it wasn't. I think it could've been edited down significantly and made shorter. It just didn't do it for me and I typically love SciFi flicks.

Ah, I was like mere minutes from renting it! thanks for saving me a bucket of popcorn!

I loved it, the whole time & space thing.

I loved it, the whole time & space thing.
To each their own for sure. Magnus, maybe give it a shot........you might like it too. It just wasn't for me. I've seen others in the genre that I liked much better.

I went and saw Top Gun Maverick. It was AWESOME! I'm glad I went and saw it on the big screen. There were lots of throwbacks to the original Top Gun, which is in my top 5 movies of all time. Sequals are usually not nearly as good as the original, but this one was close. I think it's the first time I've been in a theatre since Solo came out 4 years ago. I didn't eat all day b/c I promised myself a big popcorn and pop to enjoy with the movie. Ahhhhh.......movie popcorn is the best!🍿

I was happy that there weren't any political slants to Top Gun Maverick that I picked up on. I just wanted to be entertained and give my brain a rest. This movie delivered on that. My heart was just full of happiness when I left the theatre. It was worth every penny, even though I don't like to support hollywood. However, my popcorn and pop were more expensive than the movie itself since I went on cheap night. Tom Cruise was amazing, even though I know in person he's crazier than a poop house rat! How a dude that's 60 years old can look that good is beyond me, but I digress.....

To each their own for sure. Magnus, maybe give it a shot........you might like it too. It just wasn't for me. I've seen others in the genre that I liked much better.

I went and saw Top Gun Maverick. It was AWESOME! I'm glad I went and saw it on the big screen. There were lots of throwbacks to the original Top Gun, which is in my top 5 movies of all time. Sequals are usually not nearly as good as the original, but this one was close. I think it's the first time I've been in a theatre since Solo came out 4 years ago. I didn't eat all day b/c I promised myself a big popcorn and pop to enjoy with the movie. Ahhhhh.......movie popcorn is the best!🍿

I was happy that there weren't any political slants to Top Gun Maverick that I picked up on. I just wanted to be entertained and give my brain a rest. This movie delivered on that. My heart was just full of happiness when I left the theatre. It was worth every penny, even though I don't like to support hollywood. However, my popcorn and pop were more expensive than the movie itself since I went on cheap night. Tom Cruise was amazing, even though I know in person he's crazier than a poop house rat! How a dude that's 60 years old can look that good is beyond me, but I digress.....
Top Gun Maverick was great, think TC kelp it on track & Jennifer Connelly was great, as always. Muc better that the last Thor movie.

Agree Top Gun was great. Last two movies I saw in the theater were Top Gun Maverick, and Dune, both great movies. If you like SciFi, I definitely recommend Dune. It is part one of two, though. Second one comes out next year. If you haven't read the book, read it first, then watch the movies...only makes the movies better, in my opinion. (Do not, under any circumstances, watch the 1984 Dune movie. Awful.)

Last edited:
Picked up some good DVDs from the local library... I was actually shocked to see Sam Peckinpah's 'CROSS OF IRON' on the DVD shelf! Probably a cut version, the original was chock full o' violence, lol. Not violent by today's standards, where the death toll routinely hits triple digits, but violent for that era of filmmaking. Great movie, 'CROSS OF IRON'---I'll watch it later this afternoon. I also found these original classics:

---BEN-HUR

---THE WILD BUNCH

---ALONG CAME JONES

And I bagged a 'RAMBO' flick, the one where he kills several hundred SE Asians, but not before some hapless missionaries get fed to the hogs, lol. Those pesky missionaries... they ought to arm themselves before going into harm's way. I wonder how many have disappeared in cannibal country? Probably wound up being the main course, with plenty of seasoning on the smoking joints, lol. Maybe some marinade first... Caribbean Jerk, perhaps. :rolleyes:

The bee-stung hand subsided earlier, then puffed up again when I used it to push my shopping cart around... I also rubbed it when it was itching, so it puffed up again like a lobster claw, lol. Meh, it looks to be subsiding once more, and I'm not gonna do any home rehab work with it acting up, so no worries... I went to Albertson's too, since it's right by the library, therefore no 'Sting-Kill' (truth be told, I never looked). But I scored some primo marinated tri-tip roasts, WOOHOO!!! :thumbs:

Saw some decent racks of ribs, but these tri-tip roasts were going for a good price, so the ribs come later. I also saw a big ol' slab of Angus brisket for about $70, think I'll buy one of those later this month and smoke it in my BBQ. I can always make sandwiches with the remaining slab when I'm done... I like BBQd beef brisket!!! Gotta buy some wood chips first, maybe at the Depot... hickory, mesquite, or some fruitwood like apple, peach, cherry, whatever. :cool:

Last edited:
Stranger Things

Latest posts

Back