A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lunch break at chef school?

b chefschool.jpg

Funny, I'd always pronounced "Carnegie" one way. The way I'd heard it said on tv since I was a kid. Until a guy was assigned to my ship in the navy who was from Pittsburgh. It's pronounced a little differently there. Now I pronounce it the way he did, still good friends. 🤣

b old carnegiehall.jpg

Last edited:
If you found a VHS player you probably wouldn’t be happy with the quality of the video you were seeing!

I still have some VHS tapes in a box in the metal shop building... gonna donate 'em to one of our local thrift shops as soon as I get the chance, lol. Somebody out there must still have the old equipment to play those movies... :oops:

By 2005 I'd been using dvds for a while. One day I needed to see something I knew I'd recorded a decade earlier.

I found the tape but it had degraded badly. I took a few days and checked the 100+ tapes I had. All but a couple had big problems.

I hung on to them for a couple years but finally tossed them. Shame, I had some great stuff. I used to have 2 good vcrs because I worked at night so I recorded local news etc on one, shows on the other.

@Wingnut For a time I serviced ct’s in LA. I had one at Cedars Sinia, 7th floor. It was a nice view over the city at night.

I really disliked that building. According to scientist on the news there are 3 earth quakes everyday in the LA basin. A little quake wouldn’t be noticed at ground level. This building was old, and it swayed! I could feel it that high up. Be working, it’d feel like virtigo for a second… darn building moving again, hated that! :oops:

Last edited:
Not a pair of plaid pants on any of the salesmen

Sort of funny, being here in the south I'd never trust the guy 2nd from the left. I had a grt uncle who'd always say "never trust a fat man who wears a tie in summer" lol. He didn't think much of bankers, salesmen or town folk in general, especially when they were over dressed for summer. 🤣 He used to crack me up!

Last edited:
Peanut, sometimes I miss that rock'n'roll action during quakes, lol... the 7.2 that hit Ocotillo one year, we felt that clear down on the coast, with the ground literally moving in waves. Stuff coming off the walls & shelves... it was crazy. :oops:

During my "trucking daze" it always cracked me up to meet some resident of Tornado Alley who confessed to a fear of earthquakes, lol... lightning & tornadoes, THOSE are the two things that make me somewhat nervous, aye? ;)

Well, you get notices and warning lightning and tornadoes and you can have a shelter, not so much for earthquakes.

Donkey basket ball. I remember going to these games as a kid, 3 or 4 times at least. Most often they were held at small schools out here in the country. Usually to raise money for some need.

donkey basketball.jpeg

Donkey basket ball. I remember going to these games as a kid, 3 or 4 times at least. Most often they were held at small schools out here in the country. Usually to raise money for some need.

View attachment 100137
Our high school in Michigan would have this every year. Same game plan every year. The members of student council would always be in the game and then the other popular kids or top jocks would take up the rest of the spots. For some reason after half time (when the donkeys were given a meal) the second half of the game would have a manure fest and whoever was on the donkey at the time had to use the shovel to clean up their mess. Always fun to watch, even if it was only partly amusing. I still went to every game, all 4 years. It was something to do and now that you mention it it was one of the fun times in high school.

This snow fell in March... In March 1888, a massive blizzard hit the east coast of the United States, stretching from Chesapeake Bay to Canada. The photograph shows an unidentified young man standing in a shoveled area on Madison Avenue and 40th Street in New York City

b nyc.jpg

This snow fell in March... In March 1888, a massive blizzard hit the east coast of the United States, stretching from Chesapeake Bay to Canada. The photograph shows an unidentified young man standing in a shoveled area on Madison Avenue and 40th Street in New York City

View attachment 102794
Texas had a bad artic snow storm and ridiculous cold in the winter of 1899/1900! Ya know, "back in the day"!!😉

Latest posts

Back