A Blast From The Past - Classic Ads or Images

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those marbles all look like pearlies to me.

Jim
Nope. Obviously a high-stakes game.
Cat's eyes.

c7368f438a3db1e499cf62ba95cac02b.jpg

The only ones that weren't solid color.
Worth twice what your typical marble was :oops:.

Girls played jacks, boys played marbles. Girls played hopscotch, boys played dodgeball. There were exceptions of course but the girls were pretty quickly sent back where they came from, usually crying, and the boy responsible was sent to the Principles office for a well-placed attitude adjustment.
As we got older the boys realized the girls weren't so bad and the girls have been getting even ever since.

We were never allowed to play any of that in school. Boys played football and girls played softball. Otherwise we climbed on monkey bars or went down slides.

We were never allowed to play any of that in school.
Of course not. It was gambling for kids.
No money was involved but it was possible for you to learn where the phrase "he's lost his marbles" came from.
Now y'all got me digging thru dead brain-cells to remember how we played marbles when I was 8.
brickwall100.gif

You could win some marbles from other kids or lose some of yours.
I do remember digging the 3 holes in the bare spot in the playground and drawing a big circle around them.
The info online is useless.

I actually have a few marbles that belonged to my grandfather from when he was a kid. He gave them to dad, then gave them to me. In '74 the old house was destroyed by a tornado. Somehow he found some of them in the rubble along with a few of mine and gave them to me again years later... I still have them.

Marbles.JPG

Peeries not pearlies :rolleyes:

And always had a favorite shooter,

You shoot from outside the circle at the pot.
Everybody playing put in a pre agreed number of marbles.
Shooter shot until he no longer knocked a marble out of the circle .
That's how I went to school with 10 marbles and came home with all pockets bulging..

I was a champion shooter.

Jim

That's how I went to school with 10 marbles and came home with all pockets bulging..
Aaahahh! So it was you!
Sharpshooter!

Jim
You are why we didn't play keepsies :p Pretty sure all my marbles came on top of the JIF PB jars. Geez, I R old.

1586487202025.png

Last edited:
Aaahahh! So it was you!
Sharpshooter!

When I was 10 years old ..nobody would play , if I was in. Many times if I won the first to shoot, I'd clean out the pot.

I had a large suitcase at home full of marbles.
I eventually traded them for a suitcase full of comic books.

My knuckles were always raw and bloody from shooting.

Jim

I think Merthiolate was the one that burned and Mercurochrome was easy.

My wife babysits for a family with four little girls. I think the ages range from 12 down to 7. They had a lot of fun trying to figure out how this worked.

9182644_ra.jpg

Does anyone have info on that rocking horse? I have one that's identical and in the same shape as the one pictured. I "think" it may be worth something.

Can't remember the website but I seen that one, but I remember it was for sale for $575.

I bought one at a yard sale , about 15 years ago for GKs , for $25, finally gave it away .

I bet Google will get you some prices.

Jim

Latest posts

Back