Canned MEAT-Canned MEAT-Commercial Packed "Canned MEAT"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened a can of the Swanson chicken that I got at WM and just made some chicken salad out of it. I was not impressed. I really don't like the texture of it at all. I'm thinking the Keystone will be similar? Now I'm reluctant to use it in the rice dish I have. I think I may just use the regular chicken in it for now.

I opened a can of the Swanson chicken that I got at WM and just made some chicken salad out of it. I was not impressed. I really don't like the texture of it at all. I'm thinking the Keystone will be similar? Now I'm reluctant to use it in the rice dish I have. I think I may just use the regular chicken in it for now.

The chicken is next on our list to try. We used the beef that was leftover last night. Warmed it up in a gravy and served it up over the last of the gold taters we had, with some fresh veggie sides. Man was it good.

I really hope the chicken is as good as the beef and pork.

The chicken is next on our list to try. We used the beef that was leftover last night. Warmed it up in a gravy and served it up over the last of the gold taters we had, with some fresh veggie sides. Man was it good.

I really hope the chicken is as good as the beef and pork.
You keep that up and you will have me looking forward to TEOTWAKI so I can try it for myself!

Ben

You keep that up and you will have me looking forward to TEOTWAKI so I can try it for myself!

Ben

You can always close the blinds and pretend for a day, lolol.

I'm thinking the Keystone will be similar?

Nope, the Keystone is quite different in texture, I know exactly what you are speaking to in regards to texture and the Keystone is not similar, IMO. The best I can describe it is it's like you boiled and de-boned some chicken like you would do for chicken and dumplings. I just used a can and made chicken enchiladas and they were fantastic. The wife and I both tried a chunk of it straight out of the can and I couldn't tell the difference between it and if I had cooked it myself. It's tender and tasty.

Straight out of the can:

If you are careful it will stay in chunks somewhat, it's so dang tender if you get rough with it it just falls apart.

20211105_173143.jpg

Enchilada:

20211105_184449.jpg

I noticed the store has raised the price a tad, but still worth it IMO. Chicken and pork are roughly 7.50 a can, beef went up to a little over 8 bucks. We are sneaking up on 50 cans, and I will put back more.

To be totally truthful this meat is notches above frozen meat. No freezer burn or taste to deal with.

I home-canned some turkey chucks (back when they were almost giving them away) we use it in a lot of dishes, last night we had turkey style rice-a-roni (that's the closest I can come to describing it, cause it's all from scratch). Good stuff, we have been canning more of our own meat because it frees us from the Freezer. ;)

And Yes, after reading this thread I have gathered an assortment of different store canned meats because I like meat!

we have been canning more of our own meat because it frees us from the Freezer.

That's why we decided to go canned, it keeps itself basically. If the grid ever did go down gas might be hard to get to run a generator to run a freezer. And that would get old quick, not to mention draw attention.

Thanks for the update Curmudgeon! That looks like it would make some great chicken stew!!!!

I wouldn't be afraid to use this in any dish, the texture is just like fresh chicken, the flavor is there. It would be good for the chicken salad sandwiches you mentioned too, much better than the smaller cans of chicken.

I need to find some turkey and burger now.

What is the shelf life? I might be more cautious with the shelf life on meat than with other canned products, but I would pick up a few cans.
Most of my cans are marked 2026
I have all of those canned meats you mentioned and haven't tried any of them.

I have a can of the chicken set out and will add a broccoli, rice and cheese boxed dinner that I bought at Aldi. I'll cook that up soon and tell you how it is.
That dish didn't work out very well, but it was the boxed meal that I didn't care for, not necessarily the meat.

I recently made pulled pork sandwiches with the Keystone pork. It was good and looked just like the pic Curmudgeon posted.

I also made some chicken soup with the Keystone chicken. It was also very good. I prefer the soup with my regular chicken, but in a pinch this would definitely work and it's super easy to make.

The only ones now that I haven't tried are the ground beef and the pulled beef. So far, a big thumbs up on the Keystone meat. I've also noticed that recently they seem to be back in stock at the store.

I buy canned chicken, salmon, and tuna...the tuna I buy from a company, fillets...oh so good...I enjoy a quick meal in cold weather...a can of canned chicken, one can of chicken broth, a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis, you can add a can of cream of chicken soup...so yummy....love to make chicken patties with canned chicken as well...

I buy canned chicken, salmon, and tuna...the tuna I buy from a company, fillets...oh so good...I enjoy a quick meal in cold weather...a can of canned chicken, one can of chicken broth, a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilis, you can add a can of cream of chicken soup...so yummy....love to make chicken patties with canned chicken as well...
Do you eat this something like a soup? It seems it could almost be used as a sauce as well, maybe with some thickener.

This was a good informative thread. Might warrant any new thoughts or discoveries.

I am still enjoying my 360 cans of Sockeye Salmon I bought a year ago. I just out of curiosity decided to check what the current price is......It is $120.93 for case of 24 cans. A year ago, it was $119.96 a case.

I was wondering if I could actually eat a can or two a day in a post SHTF survival environment. Turns out I could, I will eat a can a day for ten to fourteen days straight. Mostly I just eat it right out of the can. I do dump the salt water off first.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubinsteins-...1660625086&sprefix=Canned+red,aps,5049&sr=8-6

There is a store nearby dent and cheap,I found canned beef, and pork, 12 oz. for 2.98$ pretty good,the beef , haven’t tried the pork, beef is chopped pretty fine,good forbeef stew, soup.
That is an excellent price. I cannot find canned pork. When I am meal planning, I would use it for posole. Posole is made with green chilis, onion, hominy and pork, and sometimes tomatoes. We can buy dried hominy or canned hominy. I have looked at every store I've been in and have never found canned pork.

That is an excellent price. I cannot find canned pork. When I am meal planning, I would use it for posole. Posole is made with green chilis, onion, hominy and pork, and sometimes tomatoes. We can buy dried hominy or canned hominy. I have looked at every store I've been in and have never found canned pork.
Weedy, you might have to order it if the stores around you aren't getting it in. Last summer I bought four cans of Juanita's Pork Chili Verde for $5.47 a can. I see the price has gone up over a dollar but is still available through Walmart. Amazon has it two cans for $27.85, gasp!!

I confess I haven't opened a can to try it yet since the best by date is 4/24 and I'm trying to stay with everything I have with a '22 date on it. I expect it to be pretty good but might be a little bland. Nothing I can't solve with jalapenos, rice and cheese, though. :thumbs:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Juanita-s-Pork-Chile-Verde-Canned-Pork-Green-Chile-Sauce-25-oz/11984897
I have no idea why it says robot or human but that's the link to click.

I bought my canned pork at Costco. The wife brought me a case of canned corned beef, from Costco. I'll boil it for my heating method, to get rid of some salt. I've taken to keeping canned tamales for a quick meal. Canned chili, with meat, is also a new addition.

In the FWIW category, when I was stocking up hot and heavy on the canned meats, I got 3 cans each of the Underwood meat spreads - chicken, corned beef and deviled ham. The chicken and corned beef spreads were awful IMHO. I thought they would be thicker and I'd mix a little mayo into it for sandwiches. It was not thick and when I added a small spoon of mayo to the chicken in particular, it was kind of soupy. Not much flavor either so I still have two cans of each. I won't be getting any more of that.

The deviled ham was not quite as thick as I remembered it being but I don't use it plain. I add it to scrambled eggs in the skillet so it's nice and hot then put it on a sandwich using toast spread with a little mustard. Not something I eat very often but sometimes it's a nice change for a fast supper.

canned pink salmon is $3.12 for 14.75 ounce can.

Make your own. 3 slices on bologna, two slices of ham, 1 heaping spoon of mayo and liquefy in the blender.

Make your own. 3 slices on bologna, two slices of ham, 1 heaping spoon of mayo and liquefy in the blender.
NO NO, "making your own" start with shooting something & hanging it up to drain.

We can do that too, know what lungs and tripe look like?

Don't waste the red, I got a British recipe for Black sausage!

Latest posts

Back