Garden 2018

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any update from your beautiful garden Peanut?
Did I mention being pea green with envy at the size of that garden and how straight your rows are?

The dozen or so rows of purple hull peas are up. The sweet corn looks wonderful. The pole beans and squash are so-so. The tomatoes are starting to bloom and the fig trees are loaded. I’m going to have fresh jalapeno’s real soon. My elderberry is in full bloom, at the edge of the garden.

Sorry @Tank-Girl I wasn’t ignoring you. I wanted to take pictures in the sun. We had a tropical storm here this week, at least 6 inches of rain. In fact, this has been the wettest May I can remember. It’s why the squash and pole beans aren’t thriving, too much water. I’m going to have to replant the okra, not a single plant came up. Either the seed was bad or they drowned.

2018 garden ( 1)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 2)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 3)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 4)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 6)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 7)_v1.jpg
2018 garden ( 8)_v1.jpg
2018 garden (10)_v1.jpg

WOW my Hakari turnips are looking SPECTACULAR!!!

The greens are just so full and lush and delicious raw as a salad green. These are salad turnips that you can eatthem raw or
cook them in casseroles whole after a brief rinse.
This is the first time I've grown any sort of turnip and I'm kicking myself for not trying them sooner.

I hoed out the miserable provider green beans, double dug the beds with the pitch fork and
replanted Tender Green dwarf beans and watered them in.
Now I have to resist the urge to water them again until they stick their heads about the soil.

Darn sparrows destroyed 8 flats of capsicum seedlings. Yep those new baby capsicum seedlings
I sweated blood and tears over.
Lesson learned. I moved them to a concrete path and put net over what was left.
THIS is why I can't have nice things.

Today I did something very different.

I have tomato trellises that I've planted my indeterminate tomatoes against and all the tomato plants in all the rows have only been planted on one side.
So, I drew a drill down the back side of the row and I direct seeded plant species that tomatoes like.
I planted sweet basil on one row and butter swedes on another.

I got the idea watching Connor at Neversink Fram on YT how he plants beets and lettuce and quick turn around veggies under his tomato plants when they're small to
increase his harvest in the available space.

My gherkins are starting to germinate thank goodness.

My french dwarf beans have germinated and a off and running. Not a hint of disease and no transplant shock as I direct sowed.
Hardly any skips as it looks like I got close to 100% germination.

I've planted an entire row of broad leaf plantain that I plan on using as a salad green, spinach and chicken feed.

I've got flats of Valerian and Marshmallow I have to figure out where I'm planting.

I'm harvesting green beans and still cutting lettuces and spinach for the ducks. Have one green tomato so far. I planted a bunch of them, but in buckets this year. My squash looks about like yours, Peanut. Can't wait. Need to cut my lavender. Need to cut and dry mint. Need to order some empty teabags, the ones that you iron shut.

Today I did something very different.

I have tomato trellises that I've planted my indeterminate tomatoes against and all the tomato plants in all the rows have only been planted on one side.
So, I drew a drill down the back side of the row and I direct seeded plant species that tomatoes like.
I planted sweet basil on one row and butter swedes on another.

I got the idea watching Connor at Neversink Fram on YT how he plants beets and lettuce and quick turn around veggies under his tomato plants when they're small to
increase his harvest in the available space.

My gherkins are starting to germinate thank goodness.

My french dwarf beans have germinated and a off and running. Not a hint of disease and no transplant shock as I direct sowed.
Hardly any skips as it looks like I got close to 100% germination.

I've planted an entire row of broad leaf plantain that I plan on using as a salad green, spinach and chicken feed.

I've got flats of Valerian and Marshmallow I have to figure out where I'm planting.
You've got valerian AND marshmallow?
It is wonderful somebody is growing it. Can you post some photos?
What are butter swedes?

Are butter swedes one of those things we shouldn't grow in U.S.? Sounds like a good substitute for potatoes. I'll have to research that.
On a shameful note, I still haven't transferred any plants and they refuse to stop growing, are flowering. I'm afraid transplanting them will kill them but if I ever have the energy after work, I'll get it done and keep them inside to recover a couple of days.
I ended up bringing my mint plants inside.

You know when you hope something is going happen but don't believe it will so you over compensate to make sure.....right?

Well I planted the whole packet of gherkin cucumber seeds thinking I'd have really bad germination and....
every single seed germinated!

13 gherkin cucumber plants.......harvest time is gunna be interesting.

My tomato clips came in the mail on Friday so I spent this morning clipping and de-suckering my indeterminate tomatoes to the trellises.

I also used the clips to train the Tromboncino zucchini to their trellis until the tendrils start to catch and hold.

My Tendergreen french dwarf beans are going gang busters. No hint of disease or blight so I won't be bothering with Providers anymore.

Some of my salad turnips are going to be ready to pick soon. If the root is as good as the greens they'll be a fixture in the garden for sure.

The gold and black zucchini plants are doing well now. Gien the amount of plants I have in I may kick myself for being so protective
about them..but having too much food is a nice problem to have.

I bought Benny a new hat for Father's Day and a new book to read.....he went down to pick BE peas and lost the hat band somewhere....LOL.....Lord have mercy......but I got the peas snapped and shelled, in the slow cooker with ham hocks, onions, jalapenos and new potatoes....Mmmmmmmmmmm

Finally an issue in the garden. Maybe someone can help me identify the problem? I went ahead and pulled all the bad plants and burned them. Just wondering what caused it? There were about ten or fifteen plants that every leaf turned crispy brown. I wonder if it's from the ton of rain?
IMG_20180617_160517.jpg
IMG_20180617_160517.jpg

To my eye and from the picture it looks like the halo blight my provider beans got.

Have you got any of your copper sulfate Dutch.
I'd hit them with a dose of that.
If nothing else it won't hurt and might do a lot of good.
Also a lot of rain will wash a lot of the nutrients out of the soil.
Another small side dressing would help perk things up.

@Dutchs I would also weed in between the plants and mulch them too. The grass growing up in between them could also be taking much needed nutrients from the soil and the plants and by mulching them less weeds will come up and protect the soil from washing away in rain downpours.

@Dutchs I would also weed in between the plants and mulch them too. The grass growing up in between them could also be taking much needed nutrients from the soil and the plants and by mulching them less weeds will come up and protect the soil from washing away in rain downpours.
I guess you couldn't tell in the picture but I have a ton of soil. All the rows are raised and have 10-12 inchs of good soft dirt in them. I absolutely agree about the weeds! It has rained SOOOOOOO much and just being there the weekends only so much I can get done. Had some trees come in that had to be planted, some cromes from two weeks ago that absolutely had to get put in the ground. I did by a hand tiller for between the rows and I am getting a bit done but it's just really hard when the grounds so wet and it has Turned the Weeds into GROWTH MONSTERS!! LOL.......I'm a getting there. I planted wayyyyyyyy more than I need for everything this year anyway so I'll have to get by with a 100 foot row instead of 125 foot for Limas!! OMG!! I'm learning....I will get the weed issue under control too....just gonna take a bit. My friend Scott up in Georgia says his limas have done that before from just to damn much rain! Florida seems to always be feast or famine!!

To my eye and from the picture it looks like the halo blight my provider beans got.

Have you got any of your copper sulfate Dutch.
I'd hit them with a dose of that.
If nothing else it won't hurt and might do a lot of good.
Also a lot of rain will wash a lot of the nutrients out of the soil.
Another small side dressing would help perk things up.
Good to know. I'll give them a good shot of 10-10-10......

I'm going to do some ground cover in some areas I know i won't be tilling up any time soon too...Going to do some Lady's Mantle and White Esclapias..... and figured while i was at it i have some wet areas that will never be dry I have two nice Weeping willows about a year old thriving there so i'm going to add Queen of the Prairie and Goatsbeard for some nice color
69724.jpg
69801.jpg
21113.jpg
66975.jpg
and beauty

My garden died. It got too hot too fast and I decided not to water this year. The sand would suck the water away and I can't afford to put water on it. I have plenty from a few years ago that I canned and it makes sense to use it in case we sell house and not have to move it. I hate my fruit trees didn't survive our frost. We went from freezing to hot and no rain. Barely got a sprinkle today. First in months. Maybe fall will be kinder to me.

Latest posts

Back