HELP! Any Mechanics Around?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit: the following assumes that the front cover, or oil pump, have not been removed and reinstalled.
@Mr.Meer: The first order of business is to verify 0 degrees top dead center on cylinder #1.
Using a long screwdriver thru the sparkplug hole, you can feel the #1 piston come up to the top as you rotate the crank clockwise with a wrench.
When it is all the way at the very top, the mark on the front pulley should align with the 0 on the timing scale.
If there is no mark on the pulley, we will have to make one.

Next we will rotate the crank clockwise until the distributor rotor is pointing at the #4 sparkplug wire terminal in the distributor cap.
If the cam is in the right time, the exhaust valve will on #1 will just finish closing (moving upward) as we rotate the mark on the pulley up to the 0 on the timing scale. Immediately the intake valve will begin to open if we keep turning the crank past 0.
This period at the end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of intake is called "overlap".
If the cam chain is even one tooth off, one of the valves will be moving when it passes 0.
When you get the cam in time, don't try to start it until you adjust the valves.
When a head comes back from from being worked the valves are always too tight (meaning they can't close completely)
We'll adjust the valves in the next post.

Will try this first.
Back in a little while.

Welcome aboard! We're going to have to get you an avatar (picture).
The timing chain has two gold links. When they build the engine they put the links on the marked tooth of the sprocket on the cam and the sprocket on the crank.
Of course you can't see the marked tooth on the crank sprocket without tearing the front off of the engine, which means the oil pump gear will have to be re-timed to the crank because it drives the distributor.
Doing THAT is harder to do than timing the cam to the crank & distributor.View attachment 38849

To put a timing mark on the front pulley, you will need a small file and some liquid white-out. The one with a tiny brush works better than a pen.
There is a slightly complicated process that will let you determine the exact location to mark the pulley.
Let me know if you need it. For that engine, if you mark it within 1/8" of true TDC, you'll be fine.

Ok , I was almost gone outside after reading your other post. Yea I am trying not to have to tear front off if possible. I will try putting mark on pulley and within an 1/8 sounds good to me. Also maybe someone changed the chain with no different color links. It is real tight and I rotated engine several times and still no gold or silver links.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! We're going to have to get you an avatar (picture).
The timing chain has two gold links. When they build the engine they put the links on the marked tooth of the sprocket on the cam and the sprocket on the crank.
Of course you can't see the marked tooth on the crank sprocket without tearing the front off of the engine, which means the oil pump gear will have to be re-timed to the crank because it drives the distributor.
Doing THAT is harder to do than timing the cam to the crank & distributor.View attachment 38849

To put a timing mark on the front pulley, you will need a small file and some liquid white-out. The one with a tiny brush works better than a pen.
There is a slightly complicated process that will let you determine the exact location to mark the pulley.
Let me know if you need it. For that engine, if you mark it within 1/8" of true TDC, you'll be fine.

SuperV I was about to blow a head gasket myself with all this relaying back anf forth and hearing about this wreck, I mean truck. so he joined so yall could help him and save me.
see you on ailes 3. :D

SuperV I was about to blow a head gasket myself with all this relaying back anf forth and hearing about this wreck, I mean truck. so he joined so yall could help him and save me.
see you on ailes 3. :D
...I'll never live that down
lol.gif

Nope because its true. Something happens to me in the grocery store. :dunno:
Hopfully you can help us come up with a suitable avatar for Mr.Meer .
Who knows, he may find out why his Mrs spends hours on here, it's a great place to hang out
biggrin.gif
...(when she's not sideways in aisle #3).

Hopfully you can help us come up with a suitable avatar for Mr.Meer .
Who knows, he may find out why his Mrs spends hours on here, it's a great place to hang outView attachment 38851.

I ask him andhe said he didn't know yet. And ofcourse right now he is outside piddling with one of my rival's. But thats ok it gives us both space,and no 'accidents' haha I still laugh about the look on his face when he came up and got conked by handle. :LOL: I knew he was ok it didn't hit him that hard but it made a funny sound.

I really like this one:
853px-Offy_1.JPG

Don't know how well it would crunch down, but nobody else has an Offenhauser as an avatar. :p

Ok , I was almost gone outside after reading your other post. Yea I am trying not to have to tear front off if possible. I will try putting mark on pulley and within an eight sounds good to me. Also maybe someone changed the change it is real tight and I rotated engine several times and still no gold or silver links.
It doesn't matter. If you aren't Japanese and on an assembly-line, they are useless.

Last edited:
I really like this one:
853px-Offy_1.JPG

Don't know how well it would crunch down, but nobody else has an Offenhauser as an avatar. :p

It doesn't matter. If you aren't Japanese and on an assembly-line, they are useless.

Don't give him any ideas ,next thing he will want to use Mr.Junk for his avatar. :waiting:Or the Mayflower, the other useless money pit.
Just kidding ,kinda, he is going stir crazy so its ok'sometimes'.

I ask him andhe said he didn't know yet. And ofcourse right now he is outside piddling with one of my rival's. But thats ok it gives us both space,and no 'accidents' haha I still laugh about the look on his face when he came up and got conked by handle. :LOL: I knew he was ok it didn't hit him that hard but it made a funny sound.

Made a smart knot too.:eyeballs:

Worked on it some @Supervisor42 , start again soon. Kinda slow going for me but will get done sooner or later.:thumbs:
Take your time.
And be glad your boss won't call you in because you took 6 hours to do a head gasket on a Z24 instead of 5.
They charge $96 per hour for you, so you got some 'splaining to do.
nunu.gif

So true and I am glad of that I am boss on this one. I sure know the feeling of has to go yesterday.
Well, since we're not too busy, I can spin a story:
I had one job and needed a 60-pound part. I told the guy that next-day-air freight on something that heavy would be prohibitively expensive. (the part was in the north half of the U.S.)
He said no, we're going to order it 'same-day-air'
emo12.gif
(I didn't even know there was such a thing).
He explained to me that the company was losing $24,000 every hour it was down.
And he looked me in the eye and asked: "Do you really think they are going to even blink at a couple thousand in freight?"
Ordered at 9am, received it at 3pm from over 1,000 miles away.
You think I was under a little pressure?gaah
4 hours of work later and I was a hero.
rayof.gif

*Anybody that wants to know how same-day air works can PM me.

I had one job and needed a 60-pound part. I told the guy that next-day-air freight on something that heavy would be prohibitively expensive. (the part was in the north half of the U.S.)
He said no, we're going to order it 'same-day-air'View attachment 38860 (I didn't even know there was such a thing).
And he looked me in the eye and asked: "Do you really think they are going to even blink at a couple thousand in freight?"
4 hours of work later and I was a hero.View attachment 38878

Extreme PRESSURE for sure, But turned out really good for you huh?:cool:

Last edited:
Extreme PRESSURE for sure, But turned out really good for you huh?:cool:
Yes, a hydraulic pump.
I made 3 hours of overtime. <giant yawn>
Got me on the "Ten Most Wanted" list and explains why I live in the 'undisclosed location' today
anim_peep.gif

What were they thinking with that design. :mad:
Get it down the assembly-line as quickly, efficiently, and as cheaply as possibly.
The Japanese are remarkable at that.
They could give a
poop.png
less if somebody has to work on it down the road.
Not their problem.
Timing mark on the balancer? Not needed. Wasted labor.
assspank.gif

Get it down the assembly-line as quickly, efficiently, and as cheaply as possibly.
The Japanese are remarkable at that.
They could give a View attachment 38906 less if somebody has to work on it down the road.
Not their problem.

Your right about that. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to work on some of the things made.

Your right about that. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to work on some of the things made.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Without diagnostic software, a laptop, and interface cable you can't do much with anything made after 2010. (except fix a busted radiator hose).

He said no, we're going to order it 'same-day-air'View attachment 38860 (I didn't even know there was such a thing).
4 hours of work later and I was a hero.View attachment 38878

Here's my story.
I installed a CT scanner. When I got ready to power it on I asked the guy for the key. He had no idea what he had done with it. So I called my boss and he sent a guy to San Francisco from San Jose to get a key, have a copy made, take it to the airport and send it to me in Seattle counter to counter.
He sent the wrong key and had to do the whole thing over. That was an expensive key. It was all on overtime and we couldn't bill a brand new customer so we ate it.

Does Mrs. Meerkat know you are in charge? :)

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Without diagnostic software, a laptop, and interface cable you can't do much with anything made after 2010. (except fix a busted radiator hose).

That's the only reason I always try to stick with older modules. The new ones over priced and over rated . imo

Here's my story.
I installed a CT scanner. When I got ready to power it on I asked the guy for the key. He had no idea what he had done with it. So I called my boss and he sent a guy to San Francisco from San Jose to get a key, have a copy made, take it to the airport and send it to me in Seattle counter to counter.
He sent the wrong key and had to do the whole thing over. That was an expensive key. It was all on overtime and we couldn't bill a brand new customer so we ate it.

Does Mrs. Meerkat know you are in charge? :)

Yea she knows. :) 💪

@Supervisor42

I worked a couple hours on truck today following your directions and adjusted valves but no cranking yet. Not sure if small metal inside rotor or bigger outside metal is pointer for round rotor.
Got to find out, must be 180 degrees out still , thought maybe flip cam and see.

@Supervisor42

I worked a couple hours on truck today following your directions and adjusted valves but no cranking yet. Not sure if small metal inside rotor or bigger outside metal is pointer for round rotor.
Got to find out, must be 180 degrees out still , thought maybe flip cam and see.
It's been a long time for me and that engine. Things change.
The rotor doesn't look like this does it?
s-l1600.jpg

If so, no wonder
brickwall100.gif
Back when I worked on them it looked like this:
Z24-Magnet-Ignition-Distributor-for-Nissan.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back