How Long until Christmas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A quick little Christmastime story: The friend who I spoke of a page or so back was born in 1923. When she was little, it was common to get an orange, some nuts and a peppermint candy. One year evidently her mom almost forgot to fill the stockings and woke in the middle of the night after going to bed and sleeping for a little while. She got up in the middle of the night and went out to fill the stockings. When the kids woke in the morning, they found onions in their stockings. They knew coal was if they were bad but were confused by onions. Her mom hadn't turned on any lights and was mostly asleep still 😂 It was a good laugh as adults.

A quick little Christmastime story: The friend who I spoke of a page or so back was born in 1923. When she was little, it was common to get an orange, some nuts and a peppermint candy. One year evidently her mom almost forgot to fill the stockings and woke in the middle of the night after going to bed and sleeping for a little while. She got up in the middle of the night and went out to fill the stockings. When the kids woke in the morning, they found onions in their stockings. They knew coal was if they were bad but were confused by onions. Her mom hadn't turned on any lights and was mostly asleep still 😂 It was a good laugh as adults.
Skip the onions & that what my Father got as a child.
He would buy a case of oranges, apples, bananas & four large bags of unshelled mix nuts the first of December & we got one fruit per day until Christmas. By new years it all be gone. We got hard candy & candy bars in stockings.

6 more days
1639927435773.png

Wanted to share how christmas was when I grew up, a house full of music. I think this is from '92, I'd flown home for the holidays. This song was recorded on an old cassette recorder so you can only hear the pickers close to the mic. There were 8 or 10 pickers in the house at any given time. New pickers would drop by, some would leave. Whoever wanted to pick or sing just joined in... It was like “open mic night” and the house band was the whole house!

Someone wanted to hear Waylon sing “Christmas time’s a comin”. So, its a very bad recording of family and friends just having fun.

Wanted to share how christmas was when I grew up, a house full of music. I think this is from '92, I'd flown home for the holidays. This song was recorded on an old cassette recorder so you can only hear the pickers close to the mic. There were 8 or 10 pickers in the house at any given time. New pickers would drop by, some would leave. Whoever wanted to pick or sing just joined in... It was like “open mic night” and the house band was the whole house!

Someone wanted to hear Waylon sing “Christmas time’s a comin”. So, its a very bad recording of family and friends just having fun.

View attachment 77439

That's awesome! I didn't grow up in a musical family but have always loved music. When I was maybe 5 years old, we were all at my grandparents for Christmas. My uncle had received an album he wanted. After the gifts were all opened I asked if we could listen to his album. They told me I probably wouldn't like it since it didn't have words. I sat and watched the stereo in awe - I loved it. It was classical music - couldn't tell you who or what piece.

We're still living ,mostly , out of boxes. Its getting better.
I am still so excited about Christmas.
Grands are coming to spend the night.
We will give them their presents and enjoy watching them.

I figure we will be in great shape by spring.
I love this old farmhouse , and got a million ideas for decorating next year for Christmas.

:flyingaway::candycane:

Jim

2 A tradition in Hubby's side of the family is to make gingerbread houses with the kids. We don't have any little munchkins in the family right now. I'm sure in time that will change. Our pattern (the same one they used when he was a kid) has a door & any left over candy got shoved inside the houses
1640193236460.png
:candycane:

The wait is over and the beautiful day is upon us. Some begin the celebration this evening and others in the morning. We will light the candles on our tree tonight and those who have children have the excitement of going to bed with "visions of sugared plums" to deal with.
1640356829603.png

I just saw this posted somewhere else, and thought it would be fun to start the next countdown! 363 days until Christmas 2022!
So I don't typically do Christmas baking like many do. I do St. Valentine's Day baking since there is pretty much nothing in February. When the kids were home, I did an advent for St. V's Day. Each morning they had a single little treat in their mailbox. On St. V's Day, they got a bunch of goodies. They loved it. So my next count down will be in Feb. 💕

It's still another day away here.

Wife was working through the weekend (hospital full of covid patients) so today is our Christmas eve.
So according to my uncle, yesterday was your Christmas Adam (because he came before Eve) 😂 Merry Christmas A.

I just saw this posted somewhere else, and thought it would be fun to start the next countdown! 363 days until Christmas 2022!
Phideaux has big expectations for Christmas decorations! We are almost obligated to count down for him and his family!! No pressure Jim😁💗!

Latest posts

Back