How Long until Christmas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You look pretty young for ~2000 years old, Magus! 😁

All I want for Christmas is peace on earth, hokey as it is to say it. It would be a real blessing for the crises, both real and manufactured, to stop for a while.

I feel like it’s really hard to slow down and enjoy the holiday season. There’s so much to do that often it feels like work rather than celebration. Anyone have any tips on how to cope with that?
Someone else mentioned simplifying, but for reals - do that.
I quit trying to bake at Christmas. If I do, it's one thing rather than a bunch of stuff. There is so much food during the holidays. I started baking for St. Valentine's Day. There is little going on in Feb. and the plates cheer folks up during the cold winter month. I've also made gifts simpler - less actually. No more keeping up with the Jones'. Smaller/simpler usable gifts. If they don't like it, they can unfriend or unrelative me - hasn't happened yet. Most actually appreciate not getting more "stuff".
The other thing is I will do a small table top tree - much less work than a great big one both going up and coming down. That's about it.

Someone else mentioned simplifying, but for reals - do that.
I quit trying to bake at Christmas. If I do, it's one thing rather than a bunch of stuff. There is so much food during the holidays. I started baking for St. Valentine's Day. There is little going on in Feb. and the plates cheer folks up during the cold winter month. I've also made gifts simpler - less actually. No more keeping up with the Jones'. Smaller/simpler usable gifts. If they don't like it, they can unfriend or unrelative me - hasn't happened yet. Most actually appreciate not getting more "stuff".
The other thing is I will do a small table top tree - much less work than a great big one both going up and coming down. That's about it.
Yeah, that's about it!! Your not "simplifying" around here missy!! Can't believe you were going to try to push your job off on Weedy!! Lol😁😉

Yeah, that's about it!! Your not "simplifying" around here missy!! Can't believe you were going to try to push your job off on Weedy!! Lol😁😉
Geesh! No rest for the weary~
109 more Days
1662585166198.png

Ba humbug!
Yes, you can toss me into the same box:(.
Fear not! I will be dragged out (~grumbling all the way~) to spend days putting up outdoor decorations that not a single neighbor will remark about. :mad:
They will be fabulous.:D
Thanks for nothing.:(
How many lights doya' think we had up last year?:dunno:

Last edited:
I was surprised to see plastic Halloween skeletons already on sale at Walmart... I actually have one of those, but I think I'm gonna donate it, unless I hang it from a tree branch in my yard, as I used to do in Show Low. Somehow, that reminds me of the old joke, I'll let y'all insert the slur of your choice:

"THERE'S A ______ IN MY FAMILY TREE... HE'S SWINGING IN IT NOW!!!" :oops:

I actually love Christmas, but right now I am so slammed with other things, I've not really thought much about it.
That said, I have a good portion of what little shopping I do, done.
Our harvest is late so hanging on until the weather changes. I will be ready for the break when it arrives.

Why don't we combine all our holidays and just take the last two months of the year off? We can put MLK, Lincoln and Washington in a sled pulled by communist worker party turkeys with baby new year driving them wearing a jack o lantern helmet while a nonspecific gendered playboy Easter bunny throws candy coated sex change hormone eggs and shoot bottle rockets at us?

Well, you either blew coffee out of your nose or imagined me as a football and went for the goal. either way, I BBQ sacred cows. :p

I actually love Christmas, but right now I am so slammed with other things, I've not really thought much about it.
That said, I have a good portion of what little shopping I do, done.
Our harvest is late so hanging on until the weather changes. I will be ready for the break when it arrives.
Ok, I'll give you a little slack!!🤪

Simpler is better in my book, agree with above. My posting the leg lamp was sort of tongue and cheek. the fact it has literally become a recognizable representation of christmas... that and a kid with his tongue stuck to a pole. 🤪

Why don't we combine all our holidays and just take the last two months of the year off? We can put MLK, Lincoln and Washington in a sled pulled by communist worker party turkeys with baby new year driving them wearing a jack o lantern helmet while a nonspecific gendered playboy Easter bunny throws candy coated sex change hormone eggs and shoot bottle rockets at us?

Well, you either blew coffee out of your nose or imagined me as a football and went for the goal. either way, I BBQ sacred cows. :p
I have heard the winter holiday season called something like HanaKwanzaChristmas.

I got this crazy idea. why not take a bunch of lights and weave them like a fish net and roll it up like a carpet, then just two people could hang that crap on hooks in ten minutes and your house is covered in Christmas!

I got this crazy idea. why not take a bunch of lights and weave them like a fish net and roll it up like a carpet, then just two people could hang that crap on hooks in ten minutes and your house is covered in Christmas!
So I wasted a lot of time over the years untangling Christmas lights!😮😃 Guess it's good "someone" (you know who you are), hasn't told me how many more days until Christmas!!😁

I wonder if I could invent something to make this chore easier?
Maybe use LED lights in some kind of clear plastic tube?
They make those spotlight things now! They stick in the ground on a stake, point it at your house, and magically it's shines red and green light on your home!

Someday, when they perfect LCD soft screens we'll have the ability to make homes look like whatever we like or have huge panoramic holiday displays.

I love Halloween and Christmas; though as the children have grown it's not quite the same.
Yesterday I called into a shop I never visit, guess it would be like a Walmart. The first thing in the door is cleaning stuff- 'cos, well Covid 'hasn't gone away'. Then back to school stuff, Halloween decorations, and snuggled up against the skeletons and witches' hats- Christmas wrapping paper, wreaths and every bauble you could imagine! I was surprised.
The Christmas prep will be limited this year, but I am starting to knit some gifts for nieces and people who are 'into' crafts.

Latest posts

Back