How Long until Christmas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the only Grinch here it seems.
Happy solstice y'all. just remember its for love and brotherhood and sharing.
Don't fall for the fake Capitalist Christ. The real one would no be happy. :)

143 Days
So when I looked up how many days, the wiki def shows up on the side - I was surprised (not really considering the source) that church wasn't part of the celebration.

Christmas​

Sunday, December 25, 2022
present.png

Description​

Christmas is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed primarily on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. Wikipedia
Also called: Noël, Nativity, Xmas
Date: Sunday, December 25, 2022
Event Length: 1 Day
Observed for: 1,686 years
Celebrations: Gift-giving, family and other social gatherings, symbolic decoration, feasting etc
Significance: Commemoration of the nativity of Jesus
Related to: Annunciation, Nativity of Jesus

143 Days
So when I looked up how many days, the wiki def shows up on the side - I was surprised (not really considering the source) that church wasn't part of the celebration.

Christmas​

Sunday, December 25, 2022
present.png

Description​

Christmas is an annual festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, observed primarily on December 25 as a religious and cultural celebration among billions of people around the world. Wikipedia
Also called: Noël, Nativity, Xmas
Date: Sunday, December 25, 2022
Event Length: 1 Day
Observed for: 1,686 years
Celebrations: Gift-giving, family and other social gatherings, symbolic decoration, feasting etc
Significance: Commemoration of the nativity of Jesus
Related to: Annunciation, Nativity of Jesus
Many years ago, I read about the birth of Jesus actually being in September or around there. December 25 was a BIG pagan holiday. People seemed to do well with their Christian faith until December, and then they fell off the bandwagon and joined all the pagan festivities. I no longer have any idea where I read that and I certainly have no idea if there is any truth to that.

I like to participate in church activities around Christmas.

Many years ago, I read about the birth of Jesus actually being in September or around there. December 25 was a BIG pagan holiday. People seemed to do well with their Christian faith until December, and then they fell off the bandwagon and joined all the pagan festivities. I no longer have any idea where I read that and I certainly have no idea if there is any truth to that.

The calendar has changed multiple times since Jesus was here. It always surprises me how that is neglected.
Also most scholarly articles do note that nobody really knows what day he was born but winter solstice was chosen due to the “bringing of light”.

Its true. Original Christmas was on my birthday. Christmas and Easter are artificial holidays created by the church to keep the pagans happy. if Christ didn't do it, you probably shouldn't.

Its true. Original Christmas was on my birthday. Christmas and Easter are artificial holidays created by the church to keep the pagans happy. if Christ didn't do it, you probably shouldn't.
You look pretty young for ~2000 years old, Magus! 😁

All I want for Christmas is peace on earth, hokey as it is to say it. It would be a real blessing for the crises, both real and manufactured, to stop for a while.

I feel like it’s really hard to slow down and enjoy the holiday season. There’s so much to do that often it feels like work rather than celebration. Anyone have any tips on how to cope with that?

All I want for Christmas is peace on earth, hokey as it is to say it. It would be a real blessing for the crises, both real and manufactured, to stop for a while.

I feel like it’s really hard to slow down and enjoy the holiday season. There’s so much to do that often it feels like work rather than celebration. Anyone have any tips on how to cope with that?
YES! LadyLocust is supposed to do the Christmas countdown!! It really helps destress everyone as the holidays get close! 😁😁😁 So now we wait............

When we have young people around, there are many activities to make Christmas special. When I was teaching, by the time winter break came around, I was exhausted! Daughter would go to spend time with her Dad and his family, and most of the break was my time. I barely left the house. I worked on projects, but also relaxed, read, watched some movies, and ate whatever I wanted. I am an introvert, so this worked well for me!

When we have young people around, there are many activities to make Christmas special. When I was teaching, by the time winter break came around, I was exhausted! Daughter would go to spend time with her Dad and his family, and most of the break was my time. I barely left the house. I worked on projects, but also relaxed, read, watched some movies, and ate whatever I wanted. I am an introvert, so this worked well for me!
I'm reclusive!!!

The other thing I wanted to say was to simplify. One year before daughter was heading to her Dad's, I talked about getting a tree and decorating. She suggested that a tree was so much work and we should skip it. We did, and I have only had a tree up a couple times in about 30 years. I could decorate the house for days. Again, so much work! I don't think I had any decorations up last year, but I don't have youngsters around and it was just me. Daughter and boyfriend went to Mexico for Christmas. I was perfectly fine to have some peaceful time to myself.

The other thing I wanted to say was to simplify. One year before daughter was heading to her Dad's, I talked about getting a tree and decorating. She suggested that a tree was so much work and we should skip it. We did, and I have only had a tree up a couple times in about 30 years. I could decorate the house for days. Again, so much work! I don't think I had any decorations up last year, but I don't have youngsters around and it was just me. Daughter and boyfriend went to Mexico for Christmas. I was perfectly fine to have some peaceful time to myself.

Simplifying’s kind of tricky. My husband’s family is in Texas, my family celebrates in Nevada. As the couple with no kids, we’re the ones who end up traveling every year for both Thanksgiving and Christmas (and typically having to ship gifts for the latter, so gotta be extra-prepared), which means that any slow-down at-home celebrating either needs to be done before or after the holiday.

I’m seriously considering decorating before Thanksgiving this year, since we won’t be home anyway, and then we can at least enjoy it for a month rather than scrambling to do it after we get back and then not getting to see it during a good chunk of the Twelve Days Of.

My wife is a big Christmas decorator. Inside and outside is decorated.
She has over 400 Santa's. It takes her a week to get it all displayed and another week to get it down.
As I sit here on Aug. 6th there is a string of Christmas lights going all the way round the room. She doesn't turn them on except at Christmas.
They're a pain to put up and a pain to take down so I just ignore them.
One thing that helps is I have all the lighted stuff on smart plugs so all she has to do is tell Alexa Merry Christmas and all the lights come on. At bed time she just tells Alexa goodnight and they all go off.

Oh, I'm a lot older that that. ;)

My people celebrate Yule, but only because its on a solstace, we don't do gifts but rather have family get togethers, appreciate the good life has given us and remember those that left the world and got out and hope they made it intact. Lots of red wine, good food, stories and a bonfire. Some of us celebrate Christmas as well by giving out simple and useful gifts such as a pocket knife or watch, maybe a new coat. we're pretty boring really.

We don't do much for the holidays anymore. Hubby's family is in Michigan and most of mine in NJ! We get together with my brother, and usually have invitations from friends, but we stay home and lock the gates most holidays!😃 It's nice just to have home time together! I'd spend more time with my brother if his wife would let him come over by himself!🤔😉

We don't do much for the holidays anymore. Hubby's family is in Michigan and most of mine in NJ! We get together with my brother, and usually have invitations from friends, but we stay home and lock the gates most holidays!😃 It's nice just to have home time together! I'd spend more time with my brother if his wife would let him come over by himself!🤔😉
My daughter went to see her dad and his family for many years at Christmas time while I was exhausted from the crazy time at school between Thanksgiving and the winter break. It was a great time to relax, catch up, and spend time doing what I wanted to do.

4 months until Christmas!

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving and it's the one time a year that I really want all the kids and grandkids to be together with me. Christmas is different because they're a little scattered out and doing things with their friends and families. Sometimes if any are around, I'll eat with them on Christmas Day but normally I enjoy the quiet and stay close to home. I've always been more of a hermit type.

Latest posts

Back