Is anyone seeing a lot of flu?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s spreading like wildfire here in Utah, especially in the schools and offices. Not much we can do other than spray the air and bathrooms with Lysol, clean surfaces with Lysol wipes, wash our hands and hope it passes us by.

And just spoke to my daughter at Fort Sill. They’re closing schools in their district due to the flu.

Start wearing N95 or N100 masks. New study shows confirms it's in the air around the person who has flu & is breathing.

the county east of me was closed for a week due to the flu, the same with the counties south.

that's it for closures, and since that was three weeks ago, maybe it's over in our area.... don't know, but i hope it is.

i'm still taking precautions as if the flu is still in the area, little to no crowd exposure, washing hands often, germ x, etc

I got my gloves from Costco and my masks and Tyvek coveralls from Uline between the rushes when prices are down. Shortages occur on a regular basis and prices go up when demand increases.

The wife got it and several friends. She got it on a recent trip but stayed a couple extra days to help prevent me from getting it.

:green man:Hat Tip to 'Carol', over at Fluwiki on Facebook:
This Flu Season Is the Worst in Nearly a Decade
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/26/...6&nl=breaking-news&nlid=33579017&ref=headline

This year’s flu season is now more intense than any since the 2009 swine flu pandemic and still getting worse, federal health officials said on Friday.

Nationally, the number of people falling ill with flu is increasing. More worrying, the hospitalization rate — a predictor of the death rate — has just jumped. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

:green man:Hat Tip to 'Carol', over at Fluwiki on Facebook:
Severe flu still widespread; baby boomers hit hard
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...eason-has-not-peaked-yet-cdc-says/1069433001/

(Snip:) “It has been a tough flu season,” and may be only half over, said Dan Jernigan, director of the CDC’s influenza division.

While the CDC gets reports of flu deaths among children — up to 37 now — the biggest flu impact has been on people over age 65, followed by those ages 50-64, Jernigan said. ." --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Flu season here in the mountains of Arizona does not peak until late February. Last year, I was still seeing cases into JULY. I expect this year will be at least the same, if not worse. Best thing to do is avoid crowds and wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.

I just dropped my wife off at the airport. We stopped along the way to pick up one of her girlfriends that thinks she is coming down with "something". That is 4 1/2 hours into Seattle and another six hours into Hawaii. They will meet up with another gal that they worked with who is also sick. She is coming in from MN. That is four plane loads of people in contact for multiple hours with God knows how many sick people that consider their vacation more important than other peoples health. I kept my mouth shut but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do.

Another of my wife's friends lives over in HI and her husband has rather fragile health. My wife delayed her trip till she was fully recovered so as to not bring her flu into their home. Traveling with a sick friend I suggested that she may not want to visit with her this time.

I just dropped my wife off at the airport. We stopped along the way to pick up one of her girlfriends that thinks she is coming down with "something". That is 4 1/2 hours into Seattle and another six hours into Hawaii. They will meet up with another gal that they worked with who is also sick. She is coming in from MN. That is four plane loads of people in contact for multiple hours with God knows how many sick people that consider their vacation more important than other peoples health. I kept my mouth shut but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do.

Another of my wife's friends lives over in HI and her husband has rather fragile health. My wife delayed her trip till she was fully recovered so as to not bring her flu into their home. Traveling with a sick friend I suggested that she may not want to visit with her this time.
I've got 1 for you. A few weeks before Thanksgiving, one if my friends' grandkids had hand, foot and mouth disease and they were babysitting. I asked my mom's oncologist and he said "your friend is exposed and possibly a carrier, they should not be around your mom for 30 days". My mom is a stage 4 cancer fighter and I was the " bad guy" for telling them I couldn't have them here for Thanksgiving!!

I've got 1 for you. A few weeks before Thanksgiving, one if my friends' grandkids had hand, foot and mouth disease and they were babysitting. I asked my mom's oncologist and he said "your friend is exposed and possibly a carrier, they should not be around your mom for 30 days". My mom is a stage 4 cancer fighter and I was the " bad guy" for telling them I couldn't have them here for Thanksgiving!!
Nope, you were definitely NOT the bad guy.

Starting to hit over here, not as severe as Stateside, but the concentration of people in one area is 10 times as greater.
Apparently its two different strains of flu. No school closures yet, but only a few have died, very young and old and sick ones.

After SARS people panic really fast over here. Hong Kong Airport is a massive air hub so millions of people come in and out every day, as well as the Macau ferry, Shenzhen border...T
his place will lock down very fast.
We had one hotel over here in 2008 for the Swine flu that was quarantined for two weeks because of a Mexican tourist that was sick.

My son is on a strict hand washing and gargling regimen as well as tons of vitamin C, oregano oil, airborne, Flumicil, and echinacea, trying to get a 5 year old to not touch his face is like trying to force an oyster in a garden hose....
If the schools start having a lot of cases, we are pulling him out of school and my wife is staying home with him.

@Justin76 put thieves oil on him and yourselves when you go out, it is brilliant stuff.

We had the flu epidemic over here in our winter last year and yes a few people died mostly the young and fit so it is nasty. DH and I got it and both of us came down with bacterial pneumonia as a side effect. It wasn't pretty and it pretty much put us out of commission for about 4 weeks by the time we got our strength back even after having two lots of antibiotics and many of our friends were out with it for 2 or more months.

You all take care there and in the States and other countries too.

@Justin76 put thieves oil on him and yourselves when you go out, it is brilliant stuff.

We had the flu epidemic over here in our winter last year and yes a few people died mostly the young and fit so it is nasty. DH and I got it and both of us came down with bacterial pneumonia as a side effect. It wasn't pretty and it pretty much put us out of commission for about 4 weeks by the time we got our strength back even after having two lots of antibiotics and many of our friends were out with it for 2 or more months.

You all take care there and in the States and other countries too.

Thank you for the recommendation,

Thieves oil I have heard of but never tried, honestly im new to all that type of oils and herbal type of thing. But with this flu being so bad, I did a bit of research and got my wife to order all the immune system boosting things I could find.
I'll get my wife to order some ASAP, if it help it helps, if not the house smells like pumpkin pie for a while.

I wasnt here for SARS, I was in Singapore with the Navy right before it got really bad, But from what my wife says it was pretty close to people having full on panics at the drop of a hat.
Restaurants closed down, everyone wore masks, vinegar was sold out, like salt after Fukushima. (that was the thing to protect you apparently ) if you coughed on the train or bus everyone rushed and pushed to get away from you.

My daughter got Flu A 3 weeks ago. I got her on Tamiflu right away and it knocked the flu on its butt. She went from hardly moving and 102.4 fever to 97.7 and bouncing around in 24 hours. I've never seen anything so dramatic. But it would have been better to not get it at all. My flu vac must have worked, I never got it. Yet...

@Country Living here is a link I found that tells you a lot of things you can use thieves oil for - https://www.allthingsmamma.com/50-ways-to-use-thieves-essential-oil/ . As with anything always spot test on yourself or a child to check for sensitivity and you can add it to any carrier oil in diluted form such as olive oil, almond oil etc.

50 Ways to Use Thieves Essential Oil .
- apply 1-3 drops around cuts or open wounds to prevent infection and promote healing.
  1. Mix with a tablespoon of water, gargle and swallow for a sore throat.
  2. Apply to upper chest and throat with V-6 Massage Oil
    ir
    for chest tightness.
  3. Put a drop on your thumb and apply to the roof of your mouth for a headache.
  4. Put 4-8 drops in a capsule with olive oil and swallow daily for longevity.
  5. For skin blemishes, take internally and apply to the skin diluted with V-6 Massage Oil.
  6. Put a couple drops directly on the soles of your feet to protect you from colds and flu.
  7. Diffuse
    ir
    in your home to keep the yuk count down.
  8. Breathe in the vapors when you have lung congestion.
  9. Use to clean pet cages, creating a healthier environment for them.
  10. Add a few drops to your dishwasher for cleaner dishes.
  11. Add to your laundry cycle for cleaner clothes.
  12. Add several drops to your mop water for cleaner floors.
  13. Mix 8-12 drops with water in a 4 oz. spray bottle
    ir
    ir
    to repel insects on your flowers and plants.
  14. Use to dissolve the gummy adhesive on price labels.
  15. Apply to bee and wasp stings to neutralize the toxin and relieve the pain.
  16. Apply to gums to keep gums healthy.
  17. Apply orally to maintain healthy teeth.
  18. Apply a drop or two to gums and teeth for pain relief from toothaches.
  19. Diffuse
    ir
    15-30 minutes daily in homes or business to solve smells and germs.
  20. Add 1 drop to orange juice and drink to reduce phlegm and congestion.
  21. Apply to broken bones or joints with V-6 for pain relief and to hasten healing.
  22. Put a drop in your cup of tea for flavor and to maintain health.
  23. Put on the tip of your tongue to help you stop smoking.
  24. Put on cold sores with V-6 to to help heal.
  25. For warts: apply topically, inhale and take 2-3 drops in a capsule to make them disappear.
  26. Rub on sore joints with V-6 Massage Oil to relieve pain.
  27. Drink a few drops in water or juice every three hours to stop a cold.
  28. Place a drop in a glass of water every day to prevent yuks.
  29. Rub 2 drops on the bottoms of children’s feet for protection before school every day.
  30. Diffuse in the house as your children come home from school every day.
  31. Mix 2-4 drops with Coconut Oil
    ir
    and rub on daily for relief of shingle pain.
  32. Apply a drop around a wound of a cat or dog to clear it up.
  33. Diffuse in the home or office to stimulate a cheerful mood.
  34. Diffuse in the office to increase concentration and work efficiency.
  35. Diffuse in your place of business to ward off the germs.
  36. Diffuse in the classroom to reduce student sickness and absenteeism.
  37. Put a few drops in your carpet steamer
    ir
    to disinfect carpet.
  38. Mix 1-2 drops with honey or Blue Agave
    ir
    in a teaspoon for cough relief.
  39. Breathe and apply for sinus headaches.
  40. Put a drop on a pimple to make it shrink and disappear.
  41. For loss of voice, put a drop under your tongue with V-6.
  42. Inhale for relief of allergy symptoms.
  43. Take a vegetable capsule
    ir
    full every day for relief of illness symptoms.
  44. Carry a bottle on every flight to protect you from germs on the plane.
  45. Put a few drops on a tissue, place near the heat/AC vents of a hotel to rid it of airborne germs.
  46. Apply one drop on an infected wound of a cat or dog to clear it up.
  47. Mix several drops with baking soda to clean bathtubs.
  48. Apply to the toes and feet to combat foot fungus.
  49. Apply with V-6 Massage Oil (carrier oil) to poison ivy rashes to relieve the itch.

I hope this helps.

I met with folks from both the Arizona State Health Department and my County Health Department today. Flu is still really bad in Arizona, and we've not yet hit the peak. The H3N2 strain is really virulent this year and seems to be the one causing most of the hospitalizations, secondary infections, and deaths. We are also starting to see a spike in Flu B, mostly the Yamagata strain, which so far doesn't seem as deadly. I agree with Winds-of-change's advice- don't keep your hands on the wipe on the shopping cart. Wipe the handle well, then let it dry before you touch it. A lot of germicidal cleaners work not only by killing germs on contact, but also killing them as the germicide dries. Make sure after your shopping is done that you wash your hands really well. Plain old soap, running water and a good 20 seconds of thorough rubbing is a great way to get rid of any lingering flu viruses.

Latest posts

Back