Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1676779617814.png

Here's a puzzle for you. I'll provide the answer later......
View attachment 104370
Line #1 tells us each "cookie = 10"
Line #2 tells us that each "banana = 1"
Line #3 tells us that each "clock = the time displayed on it's face" (i.e., in Line #3, each clock = 3)
Line #4, the clock has its time set back an hour to 2:00, so it's "clock = 2" on line #4

Total Line #4 ... "2 + 1 + (1 x 10) = 13" (multiplication binds tighter than addition)

[edit]
Whoa! Hold the door! I just saw someone point out that the cookie on Line #4 only has 7 chips in it, not 10 like the cookies in other rows. So each "cookie does not = 10", each "cookie = the number of chips in it"
So I blew it. I failed in noticing the details.

The correct answer should be 10 because the last row is "2 + 1 + (1 x 7) = 10"

Dang it - I lost!!! Grrr...
[/edit]

Last edited:
Nope......10.
Work it backwards and you'll see it.
It has been a long time since high school but I remember working math from left to right.
2+1+1X7= X
2+1=3+1=4 X7=28
2+1+(1X7)=10

There was no parenthesis. My last reunion was the 55th so I may well have forgotten a rule or two.

It has been a long time since high school but I remember working math from left to right.
2+1+1X7= X
2+1=3+1=4 X7=28
2+1+(1X7)=10

There was no parenthesis. My last reunion was the 55th so I may well have forgotten a rule or two.
Without the parenthesis the last equation is ambiguous. Addition and multiplication are commutative meaning you can rearrange order with the same results.

1+2+3 = 2+3+1 = 3+2+1

Without the operation order being defined with parenthesis or brackets the meaning of the last equation is undefined.

An english analogy from my wife's tee-shirts is

"
Let's eat Gramma!
Let's eat, Gramma!

Commas save lives!
"

Ben

2+1+1X7= X
2+1=3+1=4 X7=28
2+1+(1X7)=10

PEMDAS - Order of operations : In Mathematics, we do operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. These operations are performed by a certain rule or say there is an order of operation. PEMDAS rule is one of the rules.

P – Parentheses [{()}]

E – Exponents (Powers and Roots)

MD- Multiplication and Division (left to right) (× and ÷)

AS – Addition and Subtraction (left to right) (+ and -)​

Latest posts

Back