Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPM *finally* sent the 1099R form. Mom's supplemental medical insurance went up over $1k (was $2k but is now $3,300) a year. I believe Medicare premiums went up too, but she didn't check that. The supplemental is supposed to cover 80% of her medicines and such but it hasn't been. So either they reduced coverage again or something is going wrong with the process to figure in what she pays for meds at the pharmacy.

My brother still hasn't done anything about his taxes. He just expects Mom to handle it for him and it costs extra to file for two states. The company his 2nd job is with is based in NJ and deducts NJ income tax. He has to pay NJ and Louisiana income taxes on that 2nd job. Plus federal taxes. I'm still mad that the info about the tax changes was misrepresented on the ballot and people thought they were getting a tax decrease but they actually lose more $ because the ballot didn't mention that it was cancelling the ability to deduct federal taxes from state taxes as taxable income. So now they double dip. I'll have to talk to him tomorrow about the taxes since he's off work.

I'm still mad that the info about the tax changes was misrepresented on the ballot and people thought they were getting a tax decrease
People need to do their homework before voting. It's a shame, but they like to twist words, and often a no actually means yes, and vice-versa.

I don't know what sort of tax forms my brother receives. I know that his 2nd job deducted taxes for NJ out of his paycheck because they are based in NJ, but that income is still considered taxable by Louisiana as well. I'll have to talk to our friend about it because he's been having to pay taxes for both as well as federal-- getting triple dipped-- for awhile. I don't see how they can legally charge NJ taxes when he doesn't even get NJ minimum wage and he doesn't work in NJ. I think the company is pocketing that $. But he still has to file taxes with all three entities.

Friend is having problems with the arm that broke that has metal rods in it. He said it feels like the rod is bending/flexing when he lifts something heavy. He tried to go back to the doctor who did the surgery for a consultation but they wouldn't let him see the doctor saying that they no longer accept self-pay patients. I don't think he qualifies for Medicaid anymore and his company doesn't have insurance for employees. The contract for that company is getting bought out though. They just don't know when.

My brother has made zero effort to give his tax paperwork to Mom so she can help him figure it out so she's getting angry about it and said she won't do his taxes if he won't make any effort.

I see that they lowered the BOND on the guy who did the "Juggling" attack on the woman in Houston Texas leaving her partially Paralyzed. The guy is 17 years old and is currently up on 3 different counts of assault and robbery including using a gun... He was out on bond when he did this last one.... They are talking about releasing him to house arrest. Burns my cookies, He and his family should be locked in their house.....

So, I talked to my brother and he said he didn't make enough $ last year from the NJ job to have to pay taxes. BUT, they already took taxes out of his paychecks so he could get a little (if not all of it) back. He's too lazy to do it though. Although, they apparently have not sent him his tax forms yet. I know that with Louisiana you still have to file your taxes even if you don't owe any. Not sure on NJ laws. My mom was really mad because a few years back she sent her taxes on time & they received them on time (return receipt proved it) but they claimed it was late so they charged her a few hundred bucks. They also claimed she was missing a form another time and charged late fees. I know for a fact that all forms were included because I quintuple checked before they were put in the envelope. I think they lost it or it stuck to the back of another paper. They are very dishonest about stuff here.

Urbanhunter, the justice system is so messed up. There are people sitting in jail over very minor stuff (like not paying parking fines or possession of marijuana for personal use) but then there are others who are allowed out even though they are a danger to society. I remember a bad joke about a guy who violently attacked his wife not being deemed a flight risk. Dude was let out, stole a personal plane, and crashed it into his wife's house to try to kill her and their child. Fortunately for her and the child the house was brick and was built solid. He broke the front door and windows but they were at the back of the house and weren't harmed. The creep died on impact.

Last night I received some Winchester shotgun ammo... as I was putting it away I read something and I just got so ticked off the I couldn't speak....

Olin Winchester, LLC
Distributed by Olin Corp.
Made in France

Winchester, made in FRANCE! WTH! OMG! IGU!

Oui, oui....

Please sir, may I have another....

My rant is that hospitals have you walking 20 miles from entrance door to furtherist elevators, then up and to the furtherist to the room of the person you are visiting. Then 20 miles back to the car. I need a people mover down those long hallways.

My rant is that hospitals have you walking 20 miles from entrance door to furtherist elevators, then up and to the furtherist to the room of the person you are visiting. Then 20 miles back to the car. I need a people mover down those long hallways.
I’m the other way, I enjoy long walks. Gives me time to watch, observe and think.

I knew an X-Ray tech that went to Saudi Arabia to work in a hospital.
The hospital had 500 beds and it was all on one floor.
He said there were trams running in the hallways to move people around.
He also said the people in the X-Ray department spoke 14 different languages and he had to get a 3rd person to translate so he could talk to his boss.
He loved every minute there and even went back for another year.

I knew an X-Ray tech that went to Saudi Arabia to work in a hospital.
The hospital had 500 beds and it was all on one floor.
He said there were trams running in the hallways to move people around.
He also said the people in the X-Ray department spoke 14 different languages and he had to get a 3rd person to translate so he could talk to his boss.
He loved every minute there and even went back for another year.
Years back, I posted for a gig called "Peace Sun" which involved keeping F-15's primed and ready at a tropical paradise called KKMC (King Khalid Military City) in the Kingdom, about 450 km north or Riyadh. I didn't get that particular posting, but my wife, who posted ("just for laughs") as an RN at the King Khalid Hospital (yep, same dude) and actually got the job offer.

Given the tax breaks and add-on goodies back then would've come out to almost six hundred thousand USD for two years for both of us. Several of my colleagues had spent time there, and we decided to pass. The real kicker was we had a (then-) 12-year-old boy who could spend two years learning all the advantages of the Kingdom's way to treat women and girls.

I had taught Saudi operators and maintainers for the AH-64 Apache, and simply didn't like their style. There was this one *******anal sphincter who used to call American women "whores" because of the way they dressed and did evil satanic things like drive a car or appearing in public without modest dress and a male family member as their "chaperone". Yet this same doofus would hit the bars to try to pick up those same American women until he could go back to the Kingdom and be devout in his religion.

The Kuwaitis, Jordanians, and Emiratis were really hard chargers and a lot more discrete when it came to their opinions about their American hosts; the Israelis made strange and wondrous modifications -- actually, frightening modifications-- to their own Apaches when they were here having us do block mods to their aircraft. I certainly wouldn't want to talk out of school, but think of Col. Paul Tibbets and his little "Enola Gay".

Now this was a long time ago, and things maybe have changed in the Kingdom, but I wouldn't want to live there or deal with their military!

My kitty Sir Hammington has been missing since Tuesday. He's never been gone this long and I'm worried something happened to him. With the neighbor's big dogs constantly coming into my yard, I hope they didn't attack him. They don't mess with the cats when I'm outside and they see me, but who knows how they act when I'm not around. They bark at my cows nonstop. I'm thinking of talking to the neighbors about trying to contain them better. I know my dogs run off but they are small and won't be killing people's pets.

I really need to get my front gate fixed but still haven't found anyone who will do the work. Arm is still giving me trouble and now my brother's shoulder is hurting again so he won't be helping with anything for awhile.

And my phone was pissing me off so much last night at curbside pickup order. I'm not allowed to swear on here, but man I was swearing at that stupid piece of crap. I sat for 10min trying to either get the app to work or call to let them know I was there for my order. My phone should have been charged but wasn't. Said it was at 40% (while still on the charger). It wasn't responding to button pushing or screen touching and wouldn't let me turn it off and it was getting hot so I had to take the case off, pull the back off, and take the battery out, then I put the battery back in and tried to turn it on. Said it was at 30% battery. 10% drop for no reason. It wouldn't turn back on. I was so close to smashing it. It's not even worth anything on trade-in now. I'm seriously thinking of buying a really cheap phone off ebay that is eligible for trade in for much higher value and then using that as a trade in to get a better phone. But my luck with ebay has been a lot of misses and a few hits. No guarantee that I'd get a working phone.

Also, I want to do more in my bathroom but I can't physically lift things like I want to and my friend won't be able to help for another week and a half or more. I'm mad at myself for procrastinating so long and mad at my body for not cooperating. If only Jedi telekinesis worked in real life. LOL.

Ok, I have a new rant. From a combo of my brother refusing to take out trash and my mother going against my advice of NOT having food stuff on and around her desk, her crappy desk is crawling with roaches. I have tried DE, roach traps, roach spray, etc but none have really worked. She was trying to do her taxes when her computer shut off. Well, the APC running it shut off and I think it might have been because of the computer but I'm not sure. When she tried to reboot it said something about the CPU fan not being connected properly. The BIOS said the CPU temp was 53°C which is about 127.3°F. After letting it sit awhile, rebooting, etc it was still not working. I put my phone under there and saw roaches ALL over the computer. It had roach crap all over the cords and ugh. I told Mom it probably had roaches inside. She insisted they have no way to get in. Well, she was wrong. I disconnected it and pulled it out and they were all up in there. Bunch of dead ones as well as living ones. I put on some gloves, took it apart, went at it with canned air, turned it on different sides to get different angles and sort of shook the roaches loose. The stupid stick on the canned air kept falling off. Oh, before I opened it up, I took my shopvac and vacuumed the outside of the computer and wiped it down. I wish I had a computer vacuum. I wanted to get one but Mom said "no" that it was "too expensive". She just argued with me several minutes ago about what the price was and at first denied saying No and then said the price was much higher or something. Anyway, vacuum could have helped. But canned air had to do the job. Cooled the CPU off. I then put roach spray on a paper towel and rubbed it all over the inside of the computer (not touching any electronics-- just the chassis surfaces-- top, bottom, front, back, etc. Put it back together, ripped a few more roaches off. Put it back under the desk, cleaned the table I'd set it on off, crawled under the desk to plug everything back in, got stuck for a couple of minutes, and finally managed to free myself and get out. Booted it up and it appears to be working.

But I want to cover myself in diatomaceous earth and hose myself off. I think I felt a roach in my hair. My skin is crawling right now.

And Mom just paged me that the computer isn't working. I have to go see what is wrong. Ugh.

Z, you need to do what it takes to get your house roach free. A serious deep cleaning will improve you and your family's health. I know everyone is different, but if I ever saw a roach in my house, I'm burning my house down. I despise them nasty critters.
Napalm and bug bombs.

I need to figure out a pet-safe way. I'm thinking of getting cedarwood essential oil to see if it actually repels the buggers. Mom's entire desk needs to be cleared off, vacuumed, and have some roach spray or something put all over it. The entire room needs to be deep cleaned.

But this was the computer on the outside:

It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I'm going to have to take her computer completely apart and scrub every inch of it with alcohol because that won't harm the components. Will have to get my friend's help. I'll get him some gloves and buy him some Popeyes afterward. Or maybe before bc he might lose his appetite.

I need to figure out a pet-safe way. I'm thinking of getting cedarwood essential oil to see if it actually repels the buggers. Mom's entire desk needs to be cleared off, vacuumed, and have some roach spray or something put all over it. The entire room needs to be deep cleaned.

But this was the computer on the outside:

View attachment 106367

It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I'm going to have to take her computer completely apart and scrub every inch of it with alcohol because that won't harm the components. Will have to get my friend's help. I'll get him some gloves and buy him some Popeyes afterward. Or maybe before bc he might lose his appetite.
Last time we "bombed" the house, all the cats went into the back of the cars, dog stayed out in the backyard. It was interesting, but pretty effective. Ours was for a REDACTED flea infestation, many moons ago.

Last time we "bombed" the house, all the cats went into the back of the cars, dog stayed out in the backyard. It was interesting, but pretty effective. Ours was for a REDACTED flea infestation, many moons ago.
I don't think I could fit all 14 cats in the vehicles without them doing some damage. LOL. How long do you have to stay out of the house when doing the bug bombing? I might be able to set something up to keep the cats and dogs out of the house while it is being bugbombed if it doesn't take too long. I think at least one cat would have to go in a carrier because she never goes outside. She went outside once, hated it, and never went out again.

I agree, she needs to bomb the place.:blow up:
When we were in Bama, if DW saw more than 2, she set off 6 bombs. :oops:
Evacuation was necessary until the 'chemical-warfare' was over.
I believe this was her "weapon of choice":

I don't think I could fit all 14 cats in the vehicles without them doing some damage. LOL. How long do you have to stay out of the house when doing the bug bombing? I might be able to set something up to keep the cats and dogs out of the house while it is being bugbombed if it doesn't take too long. I think at least one cat would have to go in a carrier because she never goes outside. She went outside once, hated it, and never went out again.
Pretty sure time depends on the bombs you choose, I think ours was 4 -6 hours. Last time we did it was "before Chickens" and the cats got to stay in the greenhouse.

RAID said: FOGGING:
• Break off the tab on the cap, aim away from face, press button and place on the stand.

• Leave your home for 4 hours.

RETURNING:
• Open doors and windows and allow to air for 30 minutes. If you still smell an odor, continue to air the rooms before returning to space.
Don't play nice with those things, or they will take over.
The Geneva-Convention does not apply to them.
'Chemical-weapons' are perfectly ok to use. :thumbs:

Oh yeah, I've been cleaning up. Since I'm only one person and my back doesn't like to cooperate I have to take breaks. I put a dent in the trash in the living room, but really need to get some bins out and set up something so I can wipe down mom's stuff and put stuff in bins temporarily so I can clean her desk thoroughly. From what I read about flea bombs is that the poison coats every surface and the roaches don't die from it being in the air but from walking across it on the surfaces and that every surface in the area has to be thoroughly cleaned afterward to be safe again.

I was hoping to find something more pet-safe. Need to figure out where I could put the pets while bombing. I've read anywhere from 2 to 6 hours was necessary. I'd probably go 6 just in case and then open some windows to let the smell out. But cleaning up first will help more. I wonder if I can get my brother to help.

On the upside, Mom's computer is working again but she doesn't want to give me credit for fixing it. LOL. She said "You didn't really fix it." Me: "Woman, I took that nasty thing apart and took TWO cans of compressed air and blew the hell out of those roaches and tried to get them out of every single nook and cranny and then coated the inside with poison! And it booted up after I did that!"

In the firstworldproblems category, I just spent $800 way more than I ever wanted to on a new phone but my old one is barely hanging in. Now I need to find accessories for it. Trying to pick a case and such.

Sir Hammington is still missing. :-(

Oh yeah, I've been cleaning up. Since I'm only one person and my back doesn't like to cooperate I have to take breaks. I put a dent in the trash in the living room, but really need to get some bins out and set up something so I can wipe down mom's stuff and put stuff in bins temporarily so I can clean her desk thoroughly. From what I read about flea bombs is that the poison coats every surface and the roaches don't die from it being in the air but from walking across it on the surfaces and that every surface in the area has to be thoroughly cleaned afterward to be safe again.

I was hoping to find something more pet-safe. Need to figure out where I could put the pets while bombing. I've read anywhere from 2 to 6 hours was necessary. I'd probably go 6 just in case and then open some windows to let the smell out. But cleaning up first will help more. I wonder if I can get my brother to help.

On the upside, Mom's computer is working again but she doesn't want to give me credit for fixing it. LOL. She said "You didn't really fix it." Me: "Woman, I took that nasty thing apart and took TWO cans of compressed air and blew the hell out of those roaches and tried to get them out of every single nook and cranny and then coated the inside with poison! And it booted up after I did that!"

In the firstworldproblems category, I just spent $800 way more than I ever wanted to on a new phone but my old one is barely hanging in. Now I need to find accessories for it. Trying to pick a case and such.

Sir Hammington is still missing. :-(
Hope he shows up soon😮🙏

We went to meet with a group of other conservatives. We talk about school board, city council etc. Someone asked about the financial future. While everyone seemed to be up to speed there was very little in the way of what to do about it? One lady even said what should we do. I was sitting right across from her and said. Well what I am doing is putting my cash in tangibles, stuff I need and skills. Even as I was saying it I could see it going out the other ear. Good grief.😤

Thanks, Pearl. Still no sign of him. :-(

My friend got doubly screwed by his employer. Not only did they only pay him for 5 hours of work instead of 50, they also didn't apply his PTO to his vacation. It was 85hrs worth of PTO. Additionally, they told him he can't get paid until their HR person gets back from her vacation in a week and she will mail him a check. Which will take another few days if not over a week.

I bought a new phone and it is sitting at the post office. I didn't make it there in time to pick it up before they closed. I purchased it Apr 1 and today the price dropped $20. Amazon has a policy that they refund the difference if the price drops within 7 days, but this was from the Samsung store at Amazon. I'm still going to see if they will give a refund of the $20. That will just about cover the cost of the case.

I'm still exhausted for no apparent reason.

Other than my body hating me and not wanting to move-- feeling heavy and hard to get up, I'm waiting on some things I ordered to arrive. When I ordered my case it said it would arrive by Tuesday of this week. They didn't even ship it until today and even though its from a place in the same state as me about 2hrs away, they now estimate it won't arrive until Thurs by 9pm. Which means Friday is the earliest I can get it bc the post office never has it ready the day it arrives. Sometimes it won't be ready until Monday or longer because they misplace things. Additionally, last month I ordered some longer cementboard screws. They have been sitting in Hutchins TX since the 31st and have not moved. ETA is now the 12th. When I ordered it said they would be here by the 2nd. If I were to purchase them again they would allegedly arrive by the 7th. I suspect Fedex lost them. The longer I have to wait for them the longer I have to put off finishing my bathroom and its pissing me off. I'm tempted to call and complain that its inexcusable for it to take this long. I'm almost tempted to drive the 5hrs to Dallas to get them at the store there and then drive back bc it would be faster than this nonsense. Alas, my truck is still having issues with the front wheel. Not sure what is wrong, but something is messed up.

I went shopping this week in a town I don't usually go to. Many of the stores have been 'upgraded' since I was last there. The Aldi has only 1 checkout with a person. Lowes only had self checkouts open. The other box stores all had self checkouts with a couple of human checkouts that (of coarse) had long lines. :mad: I'm at a point now where I almost prefer to do the self checkouts b/c many of the humans are.....underpar. I can spot a rockstar cashier a mile away. I can also spot a Karen a mile away. Sadly, there aren't many rockstars left. Although, Aldi still has good employees.

I also noticed in the 'upgraded' stores, there are video cameras everywhere! Every single isle. Surveilance state.....here we come. Even the self checkouts show a picture of yourself with a red banner at the top of the screen that reads 'recording'. I don't want to see myself at the checkout. Have a camera over the damn self checkout and focus on the hands like they do at the casino. This is just getting ridiculous. I didn't wear the face diaper during Covid, but damn......I'm considering it now. I'm really getting tired of my privacy getting trampled on at every turn. I loathe getting my picture taken.....always have. Plus, I can see where this is leading and I don't like it one bit.

Latest posts

Back