Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm....
You don't know how to use a screwdriver?
It broke off in your hand this morning.
In my book.. if it breaks off in your hand that means you have to fix it.
Just my opinion......
I just made him buy it, I put it on! Had to drill new holes and add a shim! He bought a much nicer handle set!!

I was opening the back screen door this morning and THE HANDLE BROKE OFF in my hand!! Now there is just a sharp nub!🤔🙄🙄🙄 That's the door we use! Hubby better get a new one on there soon!!😮 I say that because he is having a harder time opening it, so it's on him!!🤪🤣🤣
Go to harbor freight. And get a cordless drill. Then fix your door
You could have a little fun doing it
Wear a tool belt and a drill holster
And do a sassy dance as you walk through the house with your tools jingling on your way to the door
He will follow. Then hand him the drill

Go to harbor freight. And get a cordless drill. Then fix your door
You could have a little fun doing it
Wear a tool belt and a drill holster
And do a sassy dance as you walk through the house with your tools jingling on your way to the door
He will follow. Then hand him the drill
I own Milwaukee!! Drills, impact, I am a hard core tool gal!!

I was opening the back screen door this morning and THE HANDLE BROKE OFF in my hand!! Now there is just a sharp nub!🤔🙄🙄🙄 That's the door we use! Hubby better get a new one on there soon!!😮 I say that because he is having a harder time opening it, so it's on him!!🤪🤣🤣

When i first started servicing catscans I got and emergency service call one morning (they were all emergencies)... So I rush out of my new apartment, wasn't used to the doors.

My new brief case got caught in the doors and the handle broke. At the same time my watch band caught in the outer door handle. Realized it, too late...

Somehow, I broke my watch band and my brief case handle at the same time.

I did the only thing i could do! Stand there and laugh!!! 🤣 It was funny, i know, weird sense of humor here... fate said.. your case broke and you don't have time to fix it! 🤣🤣

Needles to say, i had to get another new brief case. I bought a small tank made by Samsonite, still have it!

When i first started servicing catscans I got and emergency service call one morning (they were all emergencies)... So I rush out of my new apartment, wasn't used to the doors.

My new brief case got caught in the doors and the handle broke. At the same time my watch band caught in the outer door handle. Realized it, too late...

Somehow, I broke my watch band and my brief case handle at the same time.

I did the only thing i could do! Stand there and laugh!!! 🤣 It was funny, i know, weird sense of humor here... fate said.. your case broke and you don't have time to fix it! 🤣🤣

Needles to say, i had to get another new brief case. I bought a small tank made by Samsonite, still have it!
Do you remember the old samsonite tv commercials? Gorilla tough

I saved up my grocery receipts this month, which still has a week to go. Just totted them up. Bearing in mind-
1. we have our own eggs
2. I grow and have veg stored
3. we have cut down on meat (say if I was making a curry I'd use half a chicken fillet per person now, and bulk up with veg)
4. I cook in batches, and have no waste
5. All work lunches are made at home, and I'm efficient as possible, using ham for dinner and slicing it for sandwiches etc.

despite all of that- my food bill has gone up enormously since 2020- I would say roughly by 300 per month. And that's taking into account I'm buying cheaper supermarket milk (about 16 litres a week) as opposed to my milkman, who retired. What maddens me is I know that increase is not in any farmers pocket!

I saved up my grocery receipts this month, which still has a week to go. Just totted them up. Bearing in mind-
1. we have our own eggs
3. we have cut down on meat (say if I was making a curry I'd use half a chicken fillet per person now, and bulk up with veg)
5. All work lunches are made at home, and I'm efficient as possible, using ham for dinner and slicing it for sandwiches etc.

despite all of that- my food bill has gone up enormously since 2020- I would say roughly by 300 per month. And that's taking into account I'm buying cheaper supermarket milk (about 16 litres a week) as opposed to my milkman, who retired. What maddens me is I know that increase is not in any farmers pocket!
We do not buy meat We eat fresh meat
I buy groceries 1 time per month. And my bill has risen from 350 to 550 for the same same
This is a red flag for a person on a fixed income. I do sell leather goods on the side and big vice not for that we would be screwed

The leather and consumables have risen 30-50%. And that has put a hurt on me also

Every time I manage to make ends meet
Some fool moves the other end

My trip to work this morning.

View attachment 126780
I’m sorry this happened. That looks like a terribly confusing road.

This is kind of a rant but is actually about sadness.

Next to where I live is a huge campground. Place is called Ridgepoint
I am not going to rant about them that would be an all dayer

But , most of them live in a city and come here. If they have dogs and cats they do not want they abandon them

Here are 2 pups that were abandoned at my Church
These to Hombres are as sweet as they can be
So here’s the problem
Coyotes, will eat them
Or they will starve
Or they will be shot
Or taken to a kill pound
That IS their future

I am not looking for donations
I am looking for forever homes

This crap goes on way to often And it really breaks my heart
View attachment 126913
View attachment 126914
Dogs get abandoned out by us a lot, too. It is very sad. They don’t get adopted very often. They show up very thin and afraid. I don’t understand people. 🤬
1. we have our own eggs

You are right. The farmer only gets a small fraction of what we pay for food.

Arthritis in my wrist/hand is giving me grief today. I had to drive to Samsclub and my right wrist was hurting the entire way there and entire way back. Then my feet and back started cramping. Left wrist is bugging me a little too. My body is telling me to slow down and take some naprosyn.

Meanwhile, Mom's Dexcom woke her up saying her sugar was too high so she took insulin. She checked it later and it was still high so she took insulin again. She took it 3 times. She's only supposed to take it 2x a day-- once in the morning with breakfast and once in the evening with dinner because it is both fast acting and slow release. So then her Dexcom started alarm went off to tell her that her sugar was too low. When I got back from the store the Dexcom said it was 50. I gave her a relion capsule and then waited a couple of minutes. Checked her sugar with the finger prick meter and it said her sugar was 80. Dexcom said it was 54. Not sure which of them is right or if both are wrong. Will have to keep checking on her and I need to load the dexcom app onto my phone.

Also, today is the 15th anniversary of my father's death. Doesn't feel like its been that long and I'm really missing him.

Edit: Dexcom started saying her sugar is "low" -- no actual number. The other meter said it was 42. got her an orange, some apple juice, chocolate muffins, & marshmallows. She almost fell asleep before taking a bite of her muffin. I'm going to check on her again in a couple of minutes.

Last edited:
This is a rant. I'll try to keep it as clean as posable.

2022, 2023 were horrible years.
November 20022 My stepfather died. He was very sick. He had another stroke after the first. It paralyzed him. Mom tried to take care of him.
but it took its toll on her. I tried to help but I'm limited to what I can do. Eventually he stopped eating he starved himself to death. No matter how much you think your prepared it still hits hard. He was a prankster and I kept expecting him to open his eyes and grin.

More coming I just can't right now I'm almost in tears.

My condolences go out to you catsraven!

So, 4 years ago I went to purchase a Sleep Number bed. The salesman must have been a used car salesman, and after I declined his "best and last" price, I walked away. I felt greasy, slimy and dirty. I went to Mattress Firm and purchased a similar type bed, but it only lifts all the back, and all the legs. It doesn't work when Mama wants to watch TV in bed and I want to lay flat.

Yesterday, we went back to Sleep Number and this time the salesman was a great, retired Marine. No pressure, very helpful, and honestly seemed to care. We ended up buying a totally split Cal King I-8. Yes, it was twice what I paid for my first new car, and nearly 1/2 of what i paid for my first house, but Mama will be happy when it gets delivered next month.

This is a rant. I'll try to keep it as clean as posable.

2022, 2023 were horrible years.
November 20022 My stepfather died. He was very sick. He had another stroke after the first. It paralyzed him. Mom tried to take care of him.
but it took its toll on her. I tried to help but I'm limited to what I can do. Eventually he stopped eating he starved himself to death. No matter how much you think your prepared it still hits hard. He was a prankster and I kept expecting him to open his eyes and grin.

More coming I just can't right now I'm almost in tears.
My condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Suddenly, my rant for the day is not worth posting.

I don't know if this a rant, but it's the only place I though this would fit.

I'm approaching retirement and I have some money in the stock market (not a lot, but some). Anyway I'm always afraid of getting caught flat footed like I did in the dot com bubble. Today, the S&P reached a record high and I decided to jump into cash. My reasoning is simple, the S&P has had a steady climb of months, and I figure it's due for a fall. But then I watched "The Big Short" this weekend and it made me think more. So the evening I looked at the housing market charts, the chart leading up to 2007 and the chart to date are almost the same (today's are steeper). It makes me wonder if we are primed for a big fall sometime between now and December. My thinking is that things always get crazy during an election year, and the Government has been passing out money like a Senator at a strip club... No matter who wins, I think the bar-tab is about to come due...

I figure there are a lot of smart people here and by openly sharing my opinion they can point out any faulty reasoning on my part....

I'm approaching retirement and I have some money in the stock market (not a lot, but some). Anyway I'm always afraid of getting caught flat footed like I did in the dot com bubble. Today, the S&P reached a record high and I decided to jump into cash. My reasoning is simple, the S&P has had a steady climb of months, and I figure it's due for a fall. But then I watched "The Big Short" this weekend and it made me think more. So the evening I looked at the housing market charts, the chart leading up to 2007 and the chart to date are almost the same (today's are steeper). It makes me wonder if we are primed for a big fall sometime between now and December. My thinking is that things always get crazy during an election year, and the Government has been passing out money like a Senator at a strip club... No matter who wins, I think the bar-tab is about to come due...

I figure there are a lot of smart people here and by openly sharing my opinion they can point out any faulty reasoning on my part....
It is scary time coming. I have read that ETFs aren't going anywhere. There may be money to be had with carefully researched individual companies between now a the election. But that requires time and resources. Lacking those it is better safe than sorry.

Not investment advise. Just what I have read and heard.

Ben

It may drop some this summer. But my bet is a big drop around September/October time frame. There is a history of large drops during that time of year. I don't see this election year being normal because the election year is typically not a time for a major drop. Not all election years, but many..

Taking a profit right now is not a bad time to pull out some funds. It may go up some more, but the last several weeks has had a lot of volatility.

Striking while the iron is hot is a smart thing to do.
I'm still waiting on the recession that they have been promising me was "just around the corner", for 3 years now:mad:... When they put stocks 'on sale' for 20% off:).
I am not worried about the 'price' of my stuff going down because I'm only in it for the dividends and ain't gonna sell nothin'.

Striking while the iron is hot is a smart thing to do.
I'm still waiting on the recession that they have been promising me was "just around the corner", for 3 years now:mad:... When they put stocks 'on sale' for 20% off:).
I am not worried about the 'price' of my stuff going down because I'm only in it for the dividends and ain't gonna sell nothin'.
Divendend investing is a different ball game. My 401 has crappy options in the first place. And dividends aren't one of them.

What if totally unexpected stuff happens?? Non textbook!🤔
How it has survived the past 3 years of the current stupidity is beyond me :oops:.
If it ever does crash, you will see me out with a big bag, picking up the pieces:).

I'm going to Mexico!! 😮
Mexico is a lottgğ
All the "yuck" from Mexico will be HERE! I'm going to find some beach resort that rich people own and work for them!
that’s true. Mexico is a lot safer now that creepy Joe has let all the mental hospitals unload on our country

My condolences go out to you catsraven!

So, 4 years ago I went to purchase a Sleep Number bed. The salesman must have been a used car salesman, and after I declined his "best and last" price, I walked away. I felt greasy, slimy and dirty. I went to Mattress Firm and purchased a similar type bed, but it only lifts all the back, and all the legs. It doesn't work when Mama wants to watch TV in bed and I want to lay flat.

Yesterday, we went back to Sleep Number and this time the salesman was a great, retired Marine. No pressure, very helpful, and honestly seemed to care. We ended up buying a totally split Cal King I-8. Yes, it was twice what I paid for my first new car, and nearly 1/2 of what i paid for my first house, but Mama will be happy when it gets delivered next month.
My son is a salesman at Mattress Firm. I just had to throw that in here. 🤷‍♀️

Can't remember when I last posted an update, but the blower motor, "squirrel cage" and "brain" of my inside AC had to be replaced. They put in a used motor since they didn't have a new one on hand. When they came over to look at the old stuff they didn't bring the necessary tools to diagnose so they too the whole assembly with them. It was $600 flat for parts and labor. The new one is loud as hell though. High pitched whine. It was not as loud before they closed up the compartment. Not sure what the issue is or if its anything to worry about. Doesn't really bother me though. They heard it at the time of install so they know its there. And at least we have AC fixed.

Mom's blood sugar keeps dropping and she's freaking out about how long it takes for it to come back up. The doctor's office hasn't sent her A1C to the supply place and we are waiting on her insulin pump to arrive. Also, it is really hard to get her to focus on stuff and I practically had to twist her arm to get her to cooperate with contacting places about getting the tax forms re-sent.

Catsraven, I'm sorry about your stepfather. That really sucks and starvation is not a good way to go. Had an elderly friend who was like a grandfather to me who went into the hospital with some leg pain and came out comatose. Nurses from the nursing home he lived in said that a suspicious number of patients were sent to the hospital for non-life-threatening stuff, "treated" by that same doctor, and returned comatose or straight up dead. He signed a DNR and said he didn't want to be on life support. He lingered for about 10 days before he passed away. He was a prankster as well and we kept expecting him to grab someone's butt or do something silly. It must have been so hard for your Mom and you.

Latest posts

Back