The Three Amigos!!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still no sign of Black Diamond... if she's still alive, she may be disoriented, somewhere in the neighborhood. I sure hope she reappears, I've been worried about her. I called the county animal shelter but they haven't picked up any cats here in this area, so only time will tell if Black Diamond is alive. She may be gone, same way Phoenix disappeared about a year ago. Two young female cats have mysteriously disappeared since my arrival: no sign of coyotes in the area, and I haven't heard any owls hooting either, but that doesn't mean predators aren't out there. I just hope young Black Diamond makes her way home, she sure is a sweet little cat... :(
♥️♥️♥️ Hoping for good news!!

With great sadness, I went to bed early last night and read a Western in an effort to take poor Black Diamond off my mind... didn't feel like partying at all, you understand. Cut the light and went to sleep... woke a few hours later and heard some chomping noise at the food bowl, had to get up anyway to get a swig of juice out of the fridge, turned on the light just to check and THERE SHE WAS! Black Diamond, looking dusty and somewhat disheveled, like 'Pigpen' in the comic strip PEANUTS, but very much ALIVE! I was SO HAPPY! I couldn't even be angry with her for scaring me that way, I was just glad that she made it back in one piece... not all cats do, like little Phoenix who went MIA last year and never returned. :(

Dunno where she has been, I only hope she stays closer to home in the future... in honor of her reappearance, and as a way to bring all the cats indoors, I opened a can of cat food at 0130 (roughly 24 hours since I had last seen little Black Diamond). Tapped a small plate with a spoon to get the knucklehaids inside, then secured the cat doors while they were all macking... now I'm having a celebratory beer before heading back to my rack. Honestly, I thought Black Diamond had been picked off, and I was very saddened by this turn of events... just when things seemed to be turning around in the friggin' home rehab department. I was NOT looking forward to tackling the second bathroom today... now I'll be happy to do it, lol. ;)

Okay, I'm heading back to bed, just wanted to share the good news... I was SO WORRIED about little Black Diamond, but now she's safe here at the ol' hacienda, and all the cats are secured indoors for the remainder of the wee hours. I can go back to sleep knowing that my furry little friends are safe & secure with me, not out running around when blasted varmints and predators are most likely to make an appearance. Again, I have NO IDEA where little Black Diamond has been for the past 24 hours or so, but I don't care... "ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!" She doesn't seem to be hurt in any way either, maybe she just got chased off by some other cat and became disoriented. At least she's home now... :)

Edit: PICS!!! THE PRODIGAL CAT RETURNS!!! :D

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

Today's pics... :)

IMG_9204.JPG

An ear sore I didn't notice earlier, probably something to do with Black Diamond's AWOL or MIA status... 😒

IMG_9205.JPG

Nasty... I reckon that's why she was AWOL or MIA, she got in a fight with some other critter, yeah? :oops:

IMG_9206.JPG

That nasty old sink will be swapped out soon enough... just another home rehab task on the list, lol. :confused:

IMG_9207.JPG

Meh, swapping out sinks is easy, I'm just glad little Black Diamond is back safe & sound, ya know? :rolleyes:

IMG_9208.JPG

IMG_9209.JPG

Okay, Pearl & other cat lovers, those pics should keep ya happy, lol... we're definitely happy here, 10-4? ;)

Dang, that ear damage to Black Diamond sure looks NASTY, poor little gal got caught up in SOMETHING... 😨

Last edited:
Today's pics... :)

View attachment 108266

An ear sore I didn't notice earlier, probably something to do with Black Diamond's AWOL or MIA status... 😒

View attachment 108267

Nasty... I reckon that's why she was AWOL or MIA, she got in a fight with some other critter, yeah? :oops:

View attachment 108268

That nasty old sink will be swapped out soon enough... just another friggin' home rehab task, lol. :confused:

View attachment 108269

Meh, swapping out sinks is easy, I'm just glad little Black Diamond is back safe & sound, ya know? :rolleyes:

View attachment 108270
View attachment 108271

Okay, Pearl & other cat lovers, those pics SHOULD keep ya HAPPY, lol... we're definitely HAPPY here, 10-4? ;)

DAMN, that ear & skull damage to Black Diamond sure looks NASTY, poor little gal got caught up in SOMETHING... 😨
I know Black Diamond is glad to be home too!! ♥️

A few pics taken this morning, starting with Black Diamond atop the kitchen cabinets... :D

IMG_9226.JPG

IMG_9227.JPG

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9229.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

IMG_9231.JPG

IMG_9232.JPG

Aw, Zorlac likes that window spot, he can check out birds in the nearby trees... we had two quail on the ground earlier this morning, I like seeing those goofy birds in my yard, lol. :cool:

P.S. That kitchen ceiling will look much better once it's painted, lol... same goes for swapping out the bathroom sinks, I'm just gonna drop new ones in there when I get around to 'em. One step at a time, lol... 😒

Kitties hard at work today, starting with Tiger & Crackhead in their usual spot on the cat couch... 😒

IMG_9261.JPG

Zorlac has usurped Tiger's favorite ledge in the northern (or guest) bedroom... :oops:

IMG_9262.JPG

While Black Diamond & Z-Girl hang out together right next to me, lol... :)

IMG_9263.JPG

Here's a cool decorative plate I saw in a parking lot, meant to post this yesterday... if I were an artist, I'd love to paint this as a huge mural on the side of my home, lol. :cool:

IMG_9244.JPG

Well, two of my younger cats are MIA, and I'm a bit worried since I overheard a neighbor talking about a bobcat in the area. Little Z-Girl has been missing since 0200 hours yesterday, and Black Diamond went MIA sometime last night. I'm really hoping that they reappear, as I've invested a lot of time and money into their survival training. Goldurned bobcat, I hope that varmint didn't bag my two young cats... I already called the county animal shelter and they haven't picked up any cats here, nor has anybody turned in any cats. I hope my little girls show up here at the hacienda... I'm gonna quit putting food out for the ferals at night, maybe that's drawing predators to this specific area. :(

I don't like how they've both missed meals here... that's not a good sign. And I rap a saucer with a spoon to call 'em at feeding time, since the sound carries so far, but the cats are still MIA. With luck, they just got chased by some mean ol' tomcat and they're trying to find their way back home... I hate to think of the alternative. They were such sweet cats too, I wish they'd stayed closer to home. :(

Black Diamond made it back, but Z-Girl has been missing for about 2-1/2 days... I last saw her around 0200 hours on 6/1, when she jumped up on my bed for a moment. I'm hoping she just got chased away by some mean ol' tomcat, and now she's lost and disoriented... but I don't like this prolonged absence. I checked the neighborhood this morning, but no sign of her... no 'Found' notice up by the mailboxes, and no 'Found' ad on Craiglist. Poor little Z-Girl, I hope she's alright... 😢

Black Diamond made it back, but Z-Girl has been missing for about 2-1/2 days... I last saw her around 0200 hours on 6/1, when she jumped up on my bed for a moment. I'm hoping she just got chased away by some mean ol' tomcat, and now she's lost and disoriented... but I don't like this prolonged absence. I checked the neighborhood this morning, but no sign of her... no 'Found' notice up by the mailboxes, and no 'Found' ad on Craiglist. Poor little Z-Girl, I hope she's alright... 😢
♥️♥️♥️

Guess I won't be working on that other bathroom after all... my heart's just not in it, since there's still no sign of Z-Girl. I've been hoping for a miracle, but cold logic tells me she's already toast... poor little Z, she was only here for 10 months or so, but she brought a ray of sunshine into my life, and now it looks like she's gone. These losses never get any easier over time... every time I lose a cat, it's like I lose a child. Poor little Z... if she's dead, I just hope it was quick. 😢

Guess I won't be working on that other bathroom after all... my heart's just not in it, since there's still no sign of Z-Girl. I've been hoping for a miracle, but cold logic tells me she's already toast... poor little Z, she was only here for 10 months or so, but she brought a ray of sunshine into my life, and now it looks like she's gone. These losses never get any easier over time... every time I lose a cat, it's like I lose a child. Poor little Z... if she's dead, I just hope it was quick. 😢
NO!! Give her time to get home!! My Baby Cakes went missing for TWO WEEKS before showing up with a broken tail!! Ring that dinner bell, she knows that sound, she may need help navigating home!! Everyone knows I am THE WORST WORRY WORT, I feel for you so much!! I feel your pain!! I feel like she will be home, call her, please!!

I'm still tapping the saucer with a spoon... no sign of Z. I drove down to the end of a nearby lane to look around, called her name but no answer. There are so many places where she could've gotten lost, I'm afraid it's up to her to make her way back, if she's still alive. I'll call the shelter again tomorrow, with luck some kind soul found her and turned her in to the Animal Control officer. There are quite a few abandoned homes in this area, I hope she didn't get trapped in one of those... :(

I do my best to raise these cats with survival training, teaching them to use cover and concealment, but young cats sometimes make mistakes and the desert is a harsh taskmaster... it's hard on small domestic animals. Some neighbors leave outdoor lights on at night, which adds to the danger... too easy for predators to spot movement in those cones of light. I never leave outside lights on at night, I don't want my cats exposed to any more danger than what's out there. 😒

At least Black Diamond made it back alive, she's a real sweetheart... same as Z-Girl. Black Diamond had some sort of brush with (or narrow escape from) a mean ol' tomcat or predator, so she's more wary now, which is good. That will increase her long-term chances for survival. Even if Z is gone, nothing changes here, my cats still run free and take their chances in this mean ol' world, same way I do... freedom is paramount here, no cats will be locked down 24/7. 😕

If all the cats are inside by the time I crash, I'll lock 'em down for the night, but no way I lock 'em down during the day. And I haven't locked down any cats lately, I want Z to have access if she's still alive, no matter what the hour. Poor little Z, she was just so small, the runt of the litter... no match for a bobcat or coyote, especially during a surprise attack or ambush. I haven't heard any owls lately, but those can be nasty too, where a smaller cat is concerned. 😳

Last edited:
Still can't get used to Z-Girl being gone... here are shots of the other cats, starting with Crackhead & Zorlac on a messed-up rack:

IMG_9696.JPG

Black Diamond on her favorite table in my room:

IMG_9697.JPG

Tiger under the bathroom window:

IMG_9698.JPG

One of these years, I'll get around to cleaning those windows... right now, that task is low priority, lol. ;)

Little Black Diamond shows some nautical flair... "ARRRRRRR, MATEY!!!" 🏴‍☠️

IMG_9742.JPG

IMG_9743.JPG

Those lighthouses are part of me dear departed mum's collection, I'm gonna put the decorative plates & tiles in the kitchen once I'm through painting in there... probably start that project tomorrow just to get it done. :cool:

P.S. That table has taken a beating, but it has been in our family for half a century or more... I think it's Scandinavian, it has four folding mini-tables underneath the top surface. I should find some sort of cloth cover to protect it until it gets refinished, lol. Maybe I have something I can put under those lighthouses and that Himalayan salt lamp... the salt lamp and the Old Point Loma Lighthouse model (at right) both light up at night, they look pretty cool, and the Old Point Loma Lighthouse can also be found on the nautical chart posted on the wall over my bar. 😁

IMG_9755.JPG

IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

That's Poseidon, God of the Sea, overlooking the chart of San Diego Bay... he once stole my Henschel hat! :oops:

Last edited:
IMG_9828.JPG

"EYES... LEFT!!!" 😒

IMG_9830.JPG

"YER MILITARY LEFT, DAMMIT!!!" :confused:

IMG_9827.JPG

Lol... the knucklehaids! A couple more floor shots... ;)

IMG_9829.JPG

IMG_9831.JPG

Looks like it's about time to mop the kitchen floor again... I'll do it AFTER I paint the kitchen, lol. 😬

IMG_9834.JPG

Zorlac & Black Diamond atop the kitchen table, which is reserved for their use (I use the dining room table). 🙂

IMG_9833.JPG

I do use the kitchen table as a staging area for groceries before putting everything away, but that's about it... 🤔

IMG_9835.JPG

Well, I'd better quit "shamming" and get started on that kitchen painting project, lol... plenty o' beer in the fridge! 😎

Been nearly a month and I still miss little Z-Girl... poor little kitty, she was just too young and small. 😢

Here are Tiger & Crackhead, sharing a cabinet which I inherited with the home... makes a good cat condo, lol. 😉

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

The "Cat Days of Summer" in this brutal heat, lol... here's little Black Diamond curled up in a bathroom sink! 😁

IMG_0033.JPG

Zorlac on a barstool: "DUDE, IT HAS BEEN A ROUGH DAY... HOOK ME UP WITH A COLD UMBRELLA DRINK!" 🍹

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

On the bar after one too many umbrella drinks (note Crackhead in background, opposite the front door). 😳

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

Uh-oh, looks like I need to tidy up that floor rug (Euro blanket), the cats mess it up every day with their shenanigans... 😬

We had a big cat who went back home after we moved, an hour by car, 60 miles or so, across bridges most likely. I was just a kid. My aunt and uncle said they saw him, they were our neighbors. Now can I remember, either my parents picked him up or he found his way back to the new place.
Maybe your Zgirl was adopted by some little girl or an old man who likes cats. Don’t think the worst, that’s too scary. 💖

Latest posts

Back