Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seriously slacked off of the exercise. Life has been kicking my butt pretty hard lately. Hopefully I'll see some gym time in November and December. I'll be working "compressed months" during that time - packing all the work hours for the month into one string of consecutive days. So November will be scheduled for 16 straight days and December for 13 straight days, with 3 of the scheduled days off for Christmas and New Years Eve. I have 115 hours of vacation left though, so I'm taking all that in November and December. During all the days off I will have, I intend to be at the gym pretty regularly...

OK, so my last recorded weight room post was July 27th. So it's been over 3 months since I've lifted. I've been quite active, but work has taken all the fire out of me. Today I forced myself into the gym for some legs and pulling exercise.

1.5 miles on exercise bike to loosen up and get the blood pumping.

Deadlift - started with light Romanian DL to loosen up. Then started with 135 and did singles, adding 20 lbs each time until I reached 275 lbs. At that point my back told me it was enough weight so I did 3 singles and called it good. I'm a little disappointed in that but it is what it is...

Trap bar squats - 4x8
Face pulls - 3x12
Bicep curls - drop set 40/25/15, just for fun.

Went back to the gym after lunch for some upper body work. It didn't go well...

8 minute treadmill walk to get the blood flowing, followed by several sets of calisthenic exercises to loosen up my shoulders.

Ultra light sets to warm up - 1 overhead DB press, 1 incline DB press, 1 lateral delt raise, one anterior delt raise

Seated DB overhead press: 3x15, plus 1 set of 25

Low incline dumbell press: 3x12

At this point my blood glucose level started to rise sharply. This is sometimes a result of strenuous exercise for a T1 diabetic. I had to leave the gym and go home to treat it so my workout was cut short...

Back in the hotel gym. I've been doing ground work all week, walking the tracks with a sledgehammer, beating rail anchors onto the rails. So I didn't feel much like a workout. But today I'm inspired to get a little one in:

7.5 minute warmup walk, 4mph

Dumbbell Romanian deadlift 3x12
Seated DB overhead press 3x12
Bench squats, Goblet style, 3x12
Low incline DB bench press 3x10
Cable rows, 3x12
Cable lat pulldowns, 3x12

Started doing Orangetheory yesterday. Reached a point at the gym where I was getting frustrated as it’s so overcrowded, plus I plateaued. Didn’t want to wait forever for a treadmill, who has time for that after a 12+ hour shift, I want to get in and get out.
Anyway, best workout of my life and highly recommend for those who want to push through to the next level.

Saw this thread and my first thought was logs of different sizes to pick up and use as exercise equipment. I can vouch that picking up logs all day will do a ton for just about every muscle in the body! My "log" of the activity is handled by the size of the firewood piles.

Time to log my first couple gym visits since covid. I think it went pretty well, but I can tell I still definitely wear out faster.

Friday, 12/16/22
Overhead dumbbell press 3 sets
Dumbbell incline press 2 sets
Lateral delt raises 3 sets
Front delt raises 3 sets
Overhead triceps extension 1 drop set

Saturday 12/17/22
Conventional deadlift 2 sets x8
Sumo deadlift 4 sets x5 (I really overdid the sumo lifts and felt like puking after the 4th set. Had to take a break and get my act together.)
Face pulls 3x15
Rear delt band pull aparts 2x10
I tried a set of dumbbell pullovers but I was roasted. The deadlifts wiped me out.
Edit: After a short break I did 25 minutes on the exercise bike and rode 4.125 miles in that time. Nothing strenuous, just a cool down ride...

Tomorrow will probably be a day off from the gym. Light cardio, if anything...

Last edited:
I had a pretty good workout this weekend:
Friday - Moved 100 12" cinder block 45 feet.
Saturday - from 9 AM to 9 PM burned a 25 X 30 pile of trees from the house area clearing and ex-logging mess.
Log Dead Lifts - 400 reps
Tree limb toss - 1000 reps
Hill Climb with tree weights - 5000 steps
Chainsaw arm lifts - 3 hours
Pitchfork log toss - 4 hours
Get out of smoke and flying cinders sprints - 50
Log toss - 300

That will most likely be my standard workout for quite a while as that was just 1/4 acres worth of cleanup. 34 1/4 to go.

Saw this thread and my first thought was logs of different sizes to pick up and use as exercise equipment. I can vouch that picking up logs all day will do a ton for just about every muscle in the body! My "log" of the activity is handled by the size of the firewood piles.
Just like my husband, he is the same!
Been doing orangetheory religiously 3 days a week and am seeing better progress than 5 days + per week at the gym. The HIIT workouts are great.

That orange theory thing looks like way too much work for me. My old back would give out in 5 minutes!
Haha you’d be surprised. I have old sports injuries and back issues as well but with strengthening my core, my back flares up a lot less. You can definitely adapt it for you. It’s a great community too, people are really nice at least where I’m at and genuinely want you to succeed.
Rescheduled todays workout to tomorrow night as the roads are terrible and I’m not about to get into an accident just to go workout!

Christmas morning workout, all shoulders...

15 minutes on the bike at 9 mph

Dynamic shoulder movements to loosen up

DB Overhead press 4x15
Barbell Overhead press 1x12
Face pulls 4x15
Lateral delt raise 2x15
Front delt raise 2x15
Rear delt flyes 2x15
Shrugs 3x15
Rear delt band pull aparts 3x15

Static stretches plus 20 more minutes on the bike
20221225_061339.jpg

Merry Christmas, from the gym!

Last edited:
Shoulders

Warm up on the elliptical

DB Overhead press 4x15
Face pulls 3x15
Front delt raise 3x12
Side delt raise 3x12
Triceps extension 2x15, +1 drop set
Bicep concentration curl 2x12
EZ bar curl 2x12
Barbell Overhead press 3x15

Exercise bike cool down plus stretches

Recumbent bike 1.5 miles to warm up in 8 minutes

Deadlift 4x5
DB Overhead press 5x12
Face pulls 3x18
Goblet box squats 3x12
DB front delt raise 3x15
DB rear delt flye 3x12
Incline push-ups 3 sets

Recumbent bike cool down 3.28 miles in 15 minutes

2 miles in 8:10 on the recumbent bike to warm up

Rack pulls 225 4x10
Seated DB shoulder press 25 3x12
Inclined push-ups 3x12
Inverted rows 3x5
Face pulls 3x12
Goblet squats 65lbs 1x10, 2nd set hit a wall at 6 reps, lost all energy and started to feel ill. Not sure what that was all about but it ended the weightlifting part of the workout.

Recumbent bike cooldown, 6.5 miles, nice and easy...

Last edited:
Sunday, 10 minutes on the exercise bike and 25 minutes walking on the treadmill, with several 1 minute intervals of jogging at 7mph. I haven't done that in forever and I was surprised that the running seemed pretty easy to me.

After finishing my 10th, 100 mile winter ultrarun last year and receiving my plaque I decided to switch to the bike division and the shorter 50k here in about 2 weeks. A nice aspect of switching to a shorter race on bike is there's a lot less physical stress and weight loss. In the gym I'm feeling as strong as I have since I retired from p/l in '98. For my size I'm handling some pretty nice axle deadlifts and tire flips, farmers carries and yoke walks. At the end of May that comes to an end as I need to start prepping for a 200 mile and then a 100 mile bike race as well as possibly doing the Chilkoot Trail again in Aug. if it opens. No rest for the wicked.😁

Orange theory workouts have been fantastic
They have an app that lets you track your progress. This one hour workout burned 512 kcal.
They go by your heart rate and adjust from there. For me, my heart rate levels bumped up since I’m getting healthier. My normal resting heart rate is around 50-60, so getting it to sustain is a lot of work.
Typically I have a few minutes in the red zone but I took it easy this workout as I went after my 8th 12 hour shift 😆

Attachments

• BFF2A4B6-4B75-44D3-9CBC-BCBB4FB2760C.png
    BFF2A4B6-4B75-44D3-9CBC-BCBB4FB2760C.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C0DB77E0-39A9-46AE-B84B-3E3609394E57.jpeg
    C0DB77E0-39A9-46AE-B84B-3E3609394E57.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 08CD2292-9011-4741-8E2F-725089187F36.png
    08CD2292-9011-4741-8E2F-725089187F36.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
OK, so I went to the gym to lift for the first time since my concussion fifteen days ago. It didn't go well. I felt good during my 2 mile warmup ride on the exercise bike. Then I started lifting and things went downhill. My whole body felt weaker when I was exerting myself and my endurance was much lower - my muscles would give out quickly. My whole body just didn't feel right, even though my head felt OK. I tried to push through as best as I could:

Dumbbell Overhead press 3x12
Push-ups with hands elevated to knee height - 5 sets of 15
Barbell Overhead press 3 sets
Triceps extension machine 3 sets, 20/15/12

I didn't even try any leg movements. We'll see about that tomorrow...

Wednesday: shoulder day + cardio

2 miles on the bike to warm up

DB shoulder press, seated - 3 sets
Bent over rows 3 sets
Push-ups, hands on bench - 2 sets
Front delt raises - 3 sets
Side delt raises - 3 sets
Rear delt flyes - 3 sets

30 minutes on the bike, 12.5 mph...

Latest posts

Back