Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if its working out or not. Ill let you all be the judge of that.
Past week or so I've been hauling and shoveling 5 gallon buckets of compost to fill my beds. My shoulders ache like its a work out. 😂
I say it counts! I hauled enough 5 gallon buckets of feed and water as a kid to remember how much work it is...

OK, so I went to the gym to lift for the first time since my concussion fifteen days ago. It didn't go well. I felt good during my 2 mile warmup ride on the exercise bike. Then I started lifting and things went downhill. My whole body felt weaker when I was exerting myself and my endurance was much lower - my muscles would give out quickly. My whole body just didn't feel right, even though my head felt OK. I tried to push through as best as I could:

Dumbbell Overhead press 3x12
Push-ups with hands elevated to knee height - 5 sets of 15
Barbell Overhead press 3 sets
Triceps extension machine 3 sets, 20/15/12

I didn't even try any leg movements. We'll see about that tomorrow...
Concussion? Try very light weights at a higher repetitions like 25% of your body weight instead of the 100%-150%. Your body needs probably a couple of months to recover enough to go back to Spartan Olympics like you've been doing.

Concussion? Try very light weights at a higher repetitions like 25% of your body weight instead of the 100%-150%. Your body needs probably a couple of months to recover enough to go back to Spartan Olympics like you've been doing.
It's improving with time. My grip strength hasn't come back fully, and my leg workouts aren't back to normal. But my shoulder lifts are at where they were before. I'll get there...

Not sure if its working out or not. Ill let you all be the judge of that.
Past week or so I've been hauling and shoveling 5 gallon buckets of compost to fill my beds. My shoulders ache like its a work out. 😂
definitely counts. I'm going to be shoveling gravel today. I'll let ya know how it goes. 😄

Fit bit type watches? What's the scoop?

How far away is the technology for continuous glucose monitor?
Chinese versions with those claims now, but I suspect they are random number generators?

The smart watch products.

There are Chinese smart watches boasting: HR monitor, sleep monitoring, exercise tracking, BP monitor, oxygen saturation, AND blood glucose monitor. Yeah, and EKG.

Are they legit? Anybody using them?

At present, any continuous glucose monitor that does not read a probe inserted under the skin is not to be trusted. In other words, reliable CGM reading from skin contact are not available. If the watch is connected via Bluetooth to a CGM probe under the skin, elsewhere on the body, then yes it is legit. The skin contact CGM technology is something that is being developed at present but it's not legit yet unless something happened that I'm not aware of, which is highly unlikely.

I'm not sure about the other functions of those watches...

I have fallen off the exercise bandwagon.
Have regained some of the weight I had lost .
Wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out what do now.
Got the blahs.
Good to see you back Mo
For me, I just have to jump back in. I've been off the bandwagon too and I find the longer I am, the worse I feel -
This week my daughter is visiting and I've been busy with her.

Back to the gym today...

10 minute, 2 mile warmup on the recumbent bike

Push-ups, hands elevated 5x15 (front delts, triceps, chest)
DB Overhead press 3x12 (front delts, side delts, triceps)
Barbell bent over row 4x15 (Lats, rhomboids, rear delts, biceps, spinal erectors)
Resistance band rear delt pull apart 2x12 (rear delts)
Cable machine Lateral delt raises 3x10 (side delts)
Face pulls 2x12 (upper lats, rear delts, mid traps, rhomboids, biceps, rotator cuffs)

It felt good today. I decided to quit while I was ahead. My 50 year old butt doesn't need to be tearing any muscles in the gym, just because I think I can do things I really shouldn't do...🤣

Decided to go easy on my joints today. I've got a 20 hour drive to Salt Lake on Sunday night/Monday so I don't need to be overly sore during that.😉

Push-ups, hands elevated to just above knee height - 3 sets, AMRAP

Inverted rows, bar at chest height - 3 sets, AMRAP

Bodyweight squats
Bodyweight lunges
Bulgarian split squats with a 10 pound weight

I hope that I'm not becoming annoying but I've been a constant health practitioner and promoter since my trainer days at the gym through college.

It wasn't until changing my diet to low carb high fat these last three months that I've broken my long standing plateau. I've concluded that stress hormones insulin and cortisol get in the way of and inhibit helpful hormones hgh and T.

I lift weights every day. "every day!?" "Yes. Grasshopper."

The daily routine managed properly puts you into intimate awareness with your body works. You are stress testing your systems routinely and notice little hints that otherwise get ignored while sitting on the couch indulging in entertainment. You make mental notes of the natural cycles that your body goes. Great days, average days, dragging ass days.

I was used to one or two great days a week. This new diet and improvement of my health in multiple ways has also improved my morning strength training. I feel like lifting heavy almost every day! I thought it was only the guys juicing could feel like that? I've seen information applaud the seemingly unreal natural gains for hgh, but I can speak that T benefits too!

Like the juicers used to always exclaim at the gym "feel like I can rip the doors off of a Cadillac!" As opposed to a kia? And they would surmise how the guys on the cover of magazines were freakishly huge? "We're on the juice for years and don't grow like that! Must be human growth hormones they are taking? I gotta get some of that!"

I never used performance enhancing drugs but witnessed the life crushing consequences of doing it very closely. My roommate did. He went from aspiring med school attendant, employed part time at local hospital, and dedicated work out goer, to quitting everything. The consequences of the mental roller coaster that synthetic testosterone wreaked havoc on his mental well being.

Yesterday did orange theory workout, after finishing 8 days in the cardiac ICU (which were super busy and I was really tired).

Started on the floor (weights first always)
1 min alternating step out squat
30 seconds squat jumps with elbows out
45 seconds alternating transverse goblet squat (20 lb weight)
30 seconds alternating kneeling to squat
15 seconds speed squats
Then
6/8/10/12 (increasing reps) of goblet squats (20 lb weight)
in between each rep cycle, 100m on the rower
Then
10 X sumo squat with jump
16 x bicycle press
(Keep going for 4 mins total)
Then
6/8/10/12 (increasing reps) of sumo squats (20 lb weight)
in between each rep cycle, 100m on the rower
Then
1 min alternating step out squat
45 seconds alternating transverse goblet squat (20 lb weight)
30 seconds alternating kneeling to squat
15 seconds speed squats

THEN switch to cardio/strength on the treadmill

25 mins on the treadmill, with mostly all outs (push yourself as hard as you can go), push speeds and "surge speeds" which is a bit over your push speed.

All out I typically go at 15% incline, 4 to 4.2 mph.
Push speed is 4 at 6-10% incline
Surge speed is 4.2 at 4-10% incline
Base pace is 3.7 at 3% incline

I'm sore today, but not my rear or quads. My back hurts from bending over a patients bed yesterday trying to put in central and arterial lines while they were doing CPR. Ugh. Its better than it would've been a year ago though.

2.1 mile recumbent bike warmup

Push-ups 4 sets, 15-12-12-12
Inverted rows 3 sets 12-10-10
Bulgarian split squats 2x6 15lb kettlebell
Sumo squats 3x12 35lb weight
Barbell military press 3x12
Band rear delt pull apart 3x12

Edit and update: Holy crap, are my legs out of shape! An hour after the workout, my quads and glutes are still burning. Weighted Bulgarian split squats are no joke!

Last edited:
2 mile warmup ride in 9:38 on the exercise bike

Pushups, 4 sets of 15
Inverted rows, 4 sets of 12
Sumo squats, 2 sets of 12
Face pulls, 2 sets of 15
Cable side delt raises, 2 sets of 8 on each side

Side note: putting Ted Nugent on Spotify really helps with motivation for the workout!😉

2 mile warmup on the recumbent stationary bike in 9:28

Pushups 5 sets
Inverted rows 4 sets
Rack pulls 4 sets
Leg extensions 3 sets
Cable side delt raises 2 sets
Face pulls 3 sets
Barbell Overhead press 1 set to total failure

Went up to the bike shop and bought a new saddle for my old Fuji. Brought it home and put it on the bike, and went for a little shakedown cruise. Did 2.5 miles, it was my first time on the bike this year, and by the end I was feeling it in my quads. Time to get back in shape...

It's raining here, so I couldn't get the Fuji out for a ride. I went to the gym and rode the recumbent bike there. 7 miles in 30:45. I was pleased to note that my heart rate didn't go above 130 during that ride...

7 minute warmup on the recumbent bike

Pushups 4 sets AMRAP, hands just below knee height
Inverted rows, with bar lowered to just below chest height 4x12
Rack pulls 4x12
Leg extensions 3x12
Barbell Overhead press 2x15
Cable side delt raises 3x12
Face pulls 3x12
Straight-arm pull downs 3x15, this is a new exercise for me. It works the lats, which is something I definitely need to do more of. I used very light weight just to get used to the motions.

Latest posts

Back