Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish we'd get some of that rain... it hasn't rained here in 2-3 months, and everything is dry. I've been watering the new plantings twice a day (morning & evening), but some of the stuff isn't coming up, maybe the germinated seeds got cooked under the blazing sun. However, enough stuff is coming up for me to keep watering, and I'm gonna start more watermelon seeds today, just to fill those holes where nothing has appeared. 😒

Sunny & clear here with a forecast high of 89* F, that'll bump up to 92* F tomorrow. No rain in the extended forecast... :(

Blustery day here, gusts up to 40 m.p.h. so there was plenty of flying dust in the air. Two of my neighbors have recently had large and expensive-looking canvas objects (big tent & pavilion cover) torn apart by high winds. A word of advice to anybody considering a move to the high desert... it's a great place to live, but don't waste your money on canvas objects like tents, pavilion covers, etc., all you'll be doing is stress testing the equipment until it inevitably fails. Chinese bar tacks will NOT hold up to high winds, lol. Even outdoor umbrellas & hammocks should be brought inside when not in use, or stored in a shed... I don't leave my Pawleys Island Hammock outside, the fierce solar abuse and high winds will just destroy it in record time. By bringing the hammock inside when it's not in use, I'll get my $250 worth out of it, lol. 😒

High of 52 degrees today, low of 46. This is the second day that we have had rain off and on. It has been mostly a drizzle, a gentle rain. It has been pretty dry here, so we really needed the moisture. I've been trying to dig in the garden and add more sphagnum peat moss to amend the soil, but digging has been so difficult because the soil is so hard. The moisture will help, and the moss will too, after enough of it is added.

Aussie Shepherd's owner texted me and asked if I would take her for a walk instead of the dog park today. I did, and my socks and shoes were soaking wet by the time we walked around the block. Aussie wore a rain coat but really didn't want to go out.

Nice day, nowhere near as much wind as yesterday... gonna head outdoors and water soon, I'm trying to keep things alive & growing in this miserable drought. No rain in the forecast yet either, it has been around 3 months since we had a good downpour. Oh, well, this is what it means to live in the high desert: "Bring on the monsoon!" Early days yet... :rolleyes:

Hesitant to post much of anything. It’s been hot and humid here all week, even when it was in the 70s. Haven’t gotten much rain, overcast too.
Where are my thunderstorms? Seeing lots of birds this year, fledglings of a few kinds - meadowlarks, cardinals, wrens, type of woodpecker. Hearing spring 🐸.

Hesitant to post much of anything. It’s been hot and humid here all week, even when it was in the 70s. Haven’t gotten much rain, overcast too.
Where are my thunderstorms? Seeing lots of birds this year, fledglings of a few kinds - meadowlarks, cardinals, wrens, type of woodpecker. Hearing spring 🐸.
Last night's storms barely hit me, they were so bad and just fizzled out! There is a flood watch already posted for tonight through Sunday PM! Maybe severe storms tonight?!

Did I see there were tornado watches for your area?
Yes, and warnings, but not close to me. There has also been some heavy hail storms in selected areas.

A number of years ago there was rain similar to this. I drove daughter to the airport, and it has been raining for a couple days, so the ground was saturated. It was raining fairly hard as I drove her to the airport. I told her that that storm reminded me of when I lived in Kansas City, and there was eventually a flood that killed 26 people. And unbeknownst to me, there was flooding in the mountains, up towards Estes Park, that took out roads, houses, and did a lot of damage.

This is the kind of rain that is a set up for flooding like that. Yes, we need rain, but not all at once.

PERFECT for WORKING or Drinking BEER.

1684189561591.png

Well, we hit 93°today, my all-time favorite! Joints are happy!!! :woo hoo:
Well that was wonderful and lasted until 6pm, then rain moved in from the east (that never happens!gaah)
I think @snappy1 sent us something without a 'shipping-notice':rolleyes:.
76° now, just one hour later :mad: .

Last edited:
Our drought *may* end this week, we have rain in the forecast from today through at least Saturday... 20% chance this afternoon, 30% this evening, and it jumps to 50% manana. C'mon, rain! I am SO tired of watering these trees and seeing 'em still turn brown... plus some of my new plantings didn't make it, but there's still a lot of stuff that did. 😒

Its Pearl hot and dry.

We hit 100 yesterday and it's supposed to be around 70. Nothing has fallen from the sky since the end of February. Forest fire season has already started and its not looking good.
You send that heat right on down here!!😃 Mother Nature is all screwed up this year!!

Golf got rained out today. 60 degrees and raining. Tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be nice, sunny and 70-80's. We had flood warnings over the weekend, but the river doesn't seem that high.

Latest posts

Back