Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a bit of a storm yesterday. Blinding rain and hail up to almost 3" diameter.
Here's a pic of the school yard showing the buildup of hail.
THIS IS IN CENTRAL FLORIDA! Looks like something you'd see in a very northern state.

1682604464360.png

This date April 27th, 2011. 62 tornadoes touched down in Alabama, 251 dead. I was without power for 12 days. Storm damage in every direction. A big ef3 wiped out my cousin, 2 miles from me. I heard that tornado when it came by here. I put my chainsaw in the truck, knew that it would cross the highway nearby. Sad, the storm took out a huge oak in my cousins yard that was big and old when I was a kid. They built back, place doesn't look right without that tree.

That same system came up the Tennessee Valley after that. Several killed around Chattanooga, more up around Greenville. Here at the house we got hit 3 times by big cells. Tornado touch down was confirmed by the NWS about 1 mile from here. We had hail from 2 cells, one was the size of a Silver Dollar piled up against the house well over a foot deep. I had just planted the garden about 3 weeks before, hail stripped it all, as well as a lot of limbs from our trees. Yard looked like someone had pruned everything. Totaled 2 vehicles a camper and the siding, roof, gutters. Quite a mess
Every home in our town but 4 had some damage. We were grateful to have survived

There is/ was some BAD weather south of me and Patch, think north of you ??
We got 3.5 inches rain. Wind’s really flattened part of garden. Major thunder and lightning. Let off and 2 hours later started up again. East of us got hail. 2 members of volunteer fire department heading to a call ran into trees laying on highway during heavy wind and rain. Both survived and had surgery today

We got 3.5 inches rain. Wind’s really flattened part of garden. Major thunder and lightning. Let off and 2 hours later started up again. East of us got hail. 2 members of volunteer fire department heading to a call ran into trees laying on highway during heavy wind and rain. Both survived and had surgery today
That was SERIOUS SEVERE WEATHER down your way!! Watch out again tomorrow!! I always think of the first responders during bad weather! They put their personal vehicles out there to get to the fire department or police department, then take personal risks to get to those in need!!♥️

Down to 61, breezy, quite a lot of clouds running today. Blue sky this morning, it was pretty and mild. Looked like it had rained last night.
@txcatlady glad it went on through and all is well for you. What about @Dani ?
@Bacpacker that sounds like it was quite an ordeal to go through. @Peanut you have a lot of severe weather hit your area. Maybe I’m in denial over here, not so sure I’d want to live where the storms and tornadoes are as frequent.

We got rain yesterday morning that lasted most of the morning, but it was mainly light. Made our pastures muddy though, since it lasted so long so had to wear the muck boots to feed. Today was just beautiful and dry. BUT my boss lady who lives maybe 20 miles away from me had hail and she had to take her husbands truck into the the shop to get the dents taken off. Hunny was at home and didn't notice any hail here. All the plants in the garden seemed fine too. Tomorrow morning we are expecting more rain. It's an off day and planning on cleaning the house anyway.

Down to 61, breezy, quite a lot of clouds running today. Blue sky this morning, it was pretty and mild. Looked like it had rained last night.
@txcatlady glad it went on through and all is well for you. What about @Dani ?
@Bacpacker that sounds like it was quite an ordeal to go through. @Peanut you have a lot of severe weather hit your area. Maybe I’m in denial over here, not so sure I’d want to live where the storms and tornadoes are as frequent.
I'd just as soon not deal with that again.
Last 3 days we've had just over an inch of rain. But beautiful tonight and tomorrow

from tennesseehistory.org
Look, @Bacpacker I thought you were making stuff up because you like Blackberry Smoke music (the band, y'all).
Tennessee’s farming folk named other little winters for their correspondence to natural, and in one case cultural, phenomena. Here’s a list of the most common “singularities” of spring, with dates based on Middle Tennessee. The little winters occur later in the spring in the higher elevations of East Tennessee’s mountains, and earlier in much of far West Tennessee.
  • Locust Winter – Some connect this little winter to when leaves start to appear on locust trees in early April, and others to when the trees bloom in May.
  • Redbud Winter – Mid-March to early April, when the redbud trees bloom.
  • Dogwood Winter – Mid- to late April, when the dogwood trees bloom. Often a heavy frost falls in dogwood winter.
  • Blackberry Winter – Early to mid-May, when blackberries are in full bloom. In the Tennessee mountains, this often coincides with the last frost of spring, which can kill new plantings on the farm.
  • Whippoorwill Winter –Mid- to late May, when the whippoorwills can first be heard in the twilight of evenings and before dawn.
  • Cotton Britches Winter – Late May or early June, when the linsey-woolsey (linen and wool) pants worn in cold weather were put away and farmers changed to the light cotton pants of summer.

from tennesseehistory.org
Look, @Bacpacker I thought you were making stuff up because you like Blackberry Smoke music (the band, y'all).
Tennessee’s farming folk named other little winters for their correspondence to natural, and in one case cultural, phenomena. Here’s a list of the most common “singularities” of spring, with dates based on Middle Tennessee. The little winters occur later in the spring in the higher elevations of East Tennessee’s mountains, and earlier in much of far West Tennessee.
  • Locust Winter – Some connect this little winter to when leaves start to appear on locust trees in early April, and others to when the trees bloom in May.
  • Redbud Winter – Mid-March to early April, when the redbud trees bloom.
  • Dogwood Winter – Mid- to late April, when the dogwood trees bloom. Often a heavy frost falls in dogwood winter.
  • Blackberry Winter – Early to mid-May, when blackberries are in full bloom. In the Tennessee mountains, this often coincides with the last frost of spring, which can kill new plantings on the farm.
  • Whippoorwill Winter –Mid- to late May, when the whippoorwills can first be heard in the twilight of evenings and before dawn.
  • Cotton Britches Winter – Late May or early June, when the linsey-woolsey (linen and wool) pants worn in cold weather were put away and farmers changed to the light cotton pants of summer.
I had heard of all them except for the last one until last week. They had you same list on our local weather forecast one night.
You can count on them every year. Red bud and Dogwood are typically most destructive to crops

Sunny & breezy here, with a forecast high of 81... nice for the high desert where there is so little humidity. The bad news is that none of the rain in the forecast materialized over the past few days, we had several chances at rain but it just didn't fall. So I'll be watering again this afternoon or early evening... still got a ways to go before monsoon season, so I'm gonna do my best to keep everything alive by watering at timely intervals. I already lost one pine tree last winter, but I think 'pine borers' or 'bark beetles' may have had something to do with it... there is bark missing from the trunk, and the trunk is cracked in that location. Meh, I'll eventually burn that tree as firewood, so no big deal, but I don't wanna lose any more trees if I can help it. Water is cheap here from our community well, but it takes time to water every tree in the yard. :confused:

Good chance for severe storms this afternoon! Will be home before hopefully! At least it's finally warming up!!
Well we just hit 89.0°.
Our 2 weeks of spring are over. @Pearl would be happy here. :thumbs:
I officially took off my flannel over-shirt today!:woo hoo:
Come on 93°!!!:ghostly:

Last edited:
Not liking the weird colors of the sky. Lots of overcast, humid, 77°, was cloudy and breezy most of the day. Not expecting any crazy weather. Tomorrow will be different, they're saying. Late afternoon possibilities, then it dies down. Repeat for the weekend each day. Counties to the north along the Red River by OK are under a tornado watch tonight.

Not liking the weird colors of the sky. Lots of overcast, humid, 77°, was cloudy and breezy most of the day. Not expecting any crazy weather. Tomorrow will be different, they're saying. Late afternoon possibilities, then it dies down. Repeat for the weekend each day. Counties to the north along the Red River by OK are under a tornado watch tonight.
Missed the bad weather and much needed rain! But I don't have to mow!!

@Pearl I'm jealous
Yesterday was beautiful, upper 70's. Thunderstorms started last night and now it's pouring, high supposed to be mid 50's. Can't get anything done.

Latest posts

Back