Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be safe Peanut. The line is supposed to get to us around 8 to 9 am. 2nd round around 2pm and it's suppose to be worse for us.

I've been watching the weather radar... the west half of TN is covered by a big nasty swirling storm. What will hit me is a clearly defined line of storms.

Keep our fingers crossed... Prime Tornado season in the south!

Last edited:
I'm hoping the storms get beat to death when they hit the Cumberland Plateau. It happens a lot of times, plus the first round is hitting in the coolest part of the day. Less heat usually equals less punch. Got my ham radio charged and ready to deploy if need be. Already got a few goodies in the basement if we have to go down there. Parked the truck in the basement tonight in case it hails here. That took for ever, had to move 4 different projects stuff around.

2 Tornadoes on the ground, one near Florence the other near Mobile. What's about to hit me is 15 minutes out but has no tornadic activity... about to lose satellite internet.

Screenshot (23)_v1.jpg

Bits and pieces over the last hour… I keep losing satellite internet, I write as I get data, might not be able to post…

By the skin of my teeth… Tornado on the ground… about 5 miles south of me. I couldn’t hear it, stood on the porch and listened. Just got off the phone with a cousin, it was a mile south of him… he said it was a big EF1 or small EF2. Not a monster, thank God. The miracle… I’m related to half the people in 3 counties, didn’t hit any kinfolk.

Two more tornadoes on the ground further south… temps are low, dew points at 66/67. It takes a dew point of 68 for the monsters to grow. That’s the magic number!

Maybe we will have a quite night. The dew points are around 64 further east, hopefully no one will get hurt.

I’m about to get pounded by another line of storms, maybe 10 minutes out. The conditions are all wrong for the monster tornadoes. Thankfully…

Just heard, 2 people in Hamilton MS are dead, people are missing. :(

We had a line of weather move thru around 930-1030 this morning. Just had a lot of wind, which was forecast, and about .25" rain. 2 counties north of us had a Severe Thunderstorm warning for about 15 minutes. Radar looks like we might get some pop up storms this afternoon off and on. As long as they don't get organized we should be in good shape. It's suppose to get into the mid 70's today, if the sun comes out strong it could strengthen them.

When I woke this morning it was 32℉ with 3" of snow on the ground. It is now 35℉ with a high of 39℉ and still snowing. I figure that God had allocated so much snow for us and just noticed that he had a ton of it left in inventory so He is getting rid of it while He can.

Caribou,
Snow from heaven is made of holy water! Gather up as much as you can and bottle it. You can use it to heal snake bites, cure cancer and bring the dead back to life.... no don't do that, if they were in heaven they will be mad and if they were in the other place we don't want them back. ;)

When I woke this morning it was 32℉ with 3" of snow on the ground. It is now 35℉ with a high of 39℉ and still snowing. I figure that God had allocated so much snow for us and just noticed that he had a ton of it left in inventory so He is getting rid of it while He can.

Is that's what's going on? We've been getting an awful lot of rainy cool days. Feels like fall, not spring.

Caribou,
Snow from heaven is made of holy water! Gather up as much as you can and bottle it. You can use it to heal snake bites, cure cancer and bring the dead back to life.... no don't do that, if they were in heaven they will be mad and if they were in the other place we don't want them back. ;)
We don't have snakes in Alaska. I'll stay inside where it is warm and dry.

Terri, that is exactly what is going on. No rain, lots of snow, and temperatures up to 39℉. At 9:30 it is 33℉ but the snow has finally stopped, for now. It has been a really strange day, weather wise.

What a miserable night… Something weather wise happened tonight I’ve never heard of…

The front hit me about 6pm, not as bad as they predicted. No tornadoes, no straight-line winds…

The good news changed at 6:50pm after the front had passed.

The weather man used a term I’ve never heard, 3 big complicated words followed by the word “Vortex”. Basically, as best I understand it… behind the front there was a tornado. The sustained winds were between 50 and 60 mph, so not a real tornado… The big news! It was over 80 miles in diameter, some sort of screwed up mini-hurricane.

There is a swath 80 miles across and about 150 miles long were there isn’t one tree down but thousands!

It’s been 3.5 hours and the power company answering service still has no estimate when power will be restored… Since 7pm it’s the same message… “Power outage in your area is being re-assessed”. Usually after a couple of hours they will give an estimate… Not tonight!

It’s still raining… I have the generator running to power the sump pump… to keep my whole house from flooding… I’ll be up all night making sure the generator has gas and the pump is still working. Miserable… :(

Wow. I've never heard of something like that.

Me either, I heard the term 3 times, still can't pronounce the words the weather man used or spell them. The best I have is vortex. I just checked the power company reporting number... still the same message... “Power outage in your area is being re-assessed”. This is a first in my life time... Some big spinning mass of air, 80 miles in diameter, taking down thousands of trees.

It may be days before I get power back... :(

The power company is finally giving and estimated time for restoration... 8pm tomorrow night... on the 20th! I went and got another 15 gallons of non-ethanol gas...

I'm headed to the big town... I need a couple more good extensional cords. I have several gas cans I can't use. The poor spouts are messed up. A cousin just told me tractor supply has replacement spouts for plastic gas cans! Best news I've had since 7 last night...

Oh! a big oak came down across the road last night. It was blocking the highway, the county came out and cleaned up the mess about midnight. I intend to get my great nephew to use his big john deere to skid that big log up to the barn... lots of good fire wood in that tree. Should be good and dry by next fall.

Started raining here Friday then the temp dropped about 20 degrees, last night 39 degrees and tonight supposed to be 38 then it will start warming up again to more normal temps. Lows aren't supposed to drop below high 40's after tonight so hopefully the apple trees will make it since we have blooms galore on them. Not sure but I think we lost all the peaches though, bloomed way to early and got frosted...time will tell but I am not holding my breath! We have gotten about 2.5" of rain since it started raining and it's still going off/on with the rain but supposed to taper off over night.

That hurricane vortex thingy you talked about Peanut that sounds nasty! We had some wind when the front came through and before it did but nothing like that!

Latest posts

Back