Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It rained off an on all night and this morning, feeder bands off the remnants of H. Laura. It woke me up a couple times before daylight.

Most of the state is currently under a flash flood watch. Expected to continue another 24hrs.

At least its cool, temps in the low 80's and over cast.

Here come de rain.

Looks like an alldayer.

Jim
Sorry, no rain-checks!
biggrin.gif
(pun legally stolen)
Oh, on topic: we still have some wind but it is hot with high humidity.
Like opening the door to a blast-furnace.
Funny to watch the news-media folks melt:cry:.

Last edited:
.34" of rain the morning at 6. Rained for a while after that. Suppose to get more tonightby 6.

BacP when we first moved here Feb.1st,1998 we set up tents one bedroom, one for kitchen, and one for storage.I was during the 100 year flood for next several weeks!:ghostly:Bad.storms lightening stiokes next to us on the ground, tent laying across our face from winds, then in 2000 came the fires! Florida was on fire!
I'll take the stroms.

• This
    Afternoon
    This Afternoon: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm, then showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds.  High near 84. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

T-storms
    High: 84 °F
  • Tonight

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 11pm.  Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph.  Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

T-storms
    Likely then
    Chance
    Showers
    Low: 73 °F
  • Sunday

Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely before 10am, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm between 10am and noon, then showers and thunderstorms likely after noon.  High near 85. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 9 mph in the morning.  Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Showers then
    T-storms
    Likely
    High: 85 °F
  • Sunday
    Night
    Sunday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 73. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm  in the evening.  Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Slight Chance
    T-storms
  • Monday

Monday: Showers likely, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 8am.  High near 88. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.  Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Showers
    High: 88 °F
  • Monday
    Night
    Monday Night: Showers before 8pm, then a slight chance of showers after 2am.  Low around 73. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Showers then
    Slight Chance
    Showers
  • Tuesday

Tuesday: Showers and thunderstorms likely.  Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

T-storms
    Likely
    High: 91 °F
  • Tuesday
    Night
    Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73.

Mostly Cloudy
  • Wednesday

Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.  Mostly sunny, with a high near 93.

Chance
    T-storms
    High: 93 °F

Got 1/2 inch of rain form Laura which has moved off to the coast now.
Still muggy as heck but only 80 outside.
Have a small front coming down from the north bringing a tiny bit of rain and then lower humidity and only in the 70's tomorrow.
Supposed to be only in the 60's on monday but more humid because we might get some more rain then.

I'll be glad when the cooler air comes into season.

Absolutely beautiful outside today! Oh my goodness! Its 76, 45% humidity, slight breeze. Just a perfect day.

Supposed to have the humidity jump tonight and rain all day tomorrow

high yesterday sucked the life right out of anybody.
maybe 105. felt like 111.
Unannounced storms rolled in around sunset. I had looked at the weather a number of times online because I thought maybe we'd get a thunderstorm. No indication on radar or forecast.

Suspicion of a tornado, must have "only" been a downburst near here. Too close for me. Laid RVs on their sides. Fortunately no injuries but enough damage and trees down. Other areas nearby saw hail.

Woke up to 48 degrees this morning. I have the thermostat turned down, so the furnace didn't come on. I love the cool mornings after having highs of 90's for about 10 days. A couple windows are open on the second floor, which helps the heat escape when the swamp cooler is running. Predicted high of 80 today.

With 48 degrees today, I wonder if someone got some fresh snow, somewhere in the mountain. Daughter reported rain in the mountains while she was camping this weekend. We desperately needed it. She was not anywhere near the big Pine Gulch fire. I hope that area got some good rain as well.

Woke up to 48 degrees this morning. I have the thermostat turned down, so the furnace didn't come on. I love the cool mornings after having highs of 90's for about 10 days. A couple windows are open on the second floor, which helps the heat escape when the swamp cooler is running. Predicted high of 80 today.

With 48 degrees today, I wonder if someone got some fresh snow, somewhere in the mountain. Daughter reported rain in the mountains while she was camping this weekend. We desperately needed it. She was not anywhere near the big Pine Gulch fire. I hope that area got some good rain as well.
I just read that we had the hottest August in recorded history. I have been feeling it, but it feels like someone flipped a switch now.

I just read that we had the hottest August in recorded history. I have been feeling it, but it feels like someone flipped a switch now.
I just read that this was a 45 degree temperature drop in 14 hours. There was a dusting of snow in some places in the mountains. We could have snow fairly soon. Predicted three 90 degree days in the first week of September, and then an even more significant temperature drop. It looks like I will need to pack some long sleeved shirts for my next house sitting gig.
https://www.9news.com/article/weath...hours/73-bbf2fae9-cab2-462b-8a1c-2de1eb3354b2

Peeked outside, it is HUMID, warm, mid 80s, but it's not raining for the first time in a while. :)

I remember when I lived in the mountains of Colorado, in the summer every afternoon around 4 PM it would cloud up and rain like the dickens, then clear off and leave us with a nice cool evening... Here it rains and just gets sticky as all getout.

So happy. I said to the offspring early this afternoon that I wished it would rain hard all day. That's what I got. It has let up a few times but is raining steady again. Have had our share of lightning and thunder. Reported flooding in places. Backyard, tiny as it is, had lots of standing water. It is in the low 70s, haven't seen that low in months. First day of September! Yeah!

Last edited:
The forecast:
Today's high is 97, low is 69
Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 98, low of 60
Monday's high is predicted to be 93, low of 33!!! (60 degree drop!!)
Tuesday's high is predicted to be 35 and the low is 26. Snow is predicted, but how much I have not seen yet.
Wednesday's high, 51, low, 37
Thursday's high, 66, low is 42

The 60 degree drop in temperature is very hard on plants. We had a similar drop a few years ago (maybe 2011) and it killed my peach tree and my wisteria vine. I was not alone in losing trees, especially fruit trees. Wisteria root produced a small shoot (vine) that still grows, but is thin. The vine was about 3 inches in diameter and literally broke apart, separated, about a foot from the ground. I am hoping that I do not lose my peach and pear trees this time, especially my new pear tree that I planted this spring.

We've had a 20 degree drop here today already, 91 to 71, started raining a little bit ago, thunder, etc. Wasn't expecting that.
I hope you don't lose anything, @Weedygarden but it doesn't sound very promising.
Kind of weird how it hit September and temperatures dropped overall here.
Sunday 93/73 sunny
Monday 95/74 sunny
Tuesday 90/57 sunny
Wednesday 62/51 scattered showers
Thursday 67/51 partly cloudy
Friday 74/53 mostly sunny

The forecast:
Tuesday's high is predicted to be 35 and the low is 26. Snow is predicted, but how much I have not seen yet.

The 60 degree drop in temperature is very hard on plants. We had a similar drop a few years ago (maybe 2011) and it killed my peach tree and my wisteria vine. I was not alone in losing trees, especially fruit trees. Wisteria root produced a small shoot (vine) that still grows, but is thin. The vine was about 3 inches in diameter and literally broke apart, separated, about a foot from the ground. I am hoping that I do not lose my peach and pear trees this time, especially my new pear tree that I planted this spring.

Thats one heck of a drop! My goodness from swimwear to ski wear!

We will be 98 with heat index around 110. Then later in the week in the high 80s low 90s.

The forecast:
When I saw the forecast for this week, I couldn't believe it. I have sooo been enjoying sitting out on the back deck at nighttime reading a novel. The weather has been absolutely perfect for that (70's). Those days may be coming to an end for this year. :( I think the temps will be bouncing back up at the end of the week. I don't like the hot days, but shorts, T-shirt and barefoot on the deck at night is perfect.

When I saw the forecast for this week, I couldn't believe it. I have sooo been enjoying sitting out on the back deck at nighttime reading a novel. The weather has been absolutely perfect for that (70's). Those days may be coming to an end for this year. :( I think the temps will be bouncing back up at the end of the week. I don't like the hot days, but shorts, T-shirt and barefoot on the deck at night is perfect.
I like the low 70's, not that I have control of the thermostat for Colorado! If I did, that would be what I would set it at!

Since this is Colorado, the temperatures will go back up, but hopefully not into the upper 90's for days.

Prediction was a little low today. It got up to 99 degrees today. I had an appointment to take a dog to a dog park this afternoon. I sat in the shade, and that is typical for me, and dog mostly stayed in the shade as well, but did get a little chasing in.

The forecast:

I really hope we don't get that temp drop. I'm just now starting to get ripe tomatoes!

My eyes have been bothering me since about noon today. One of my friends shared that we have ash and smoke in the air. I had gone home early to water and check the house, and it was fine then. As the day progressed, my eyes have really bothered me. Looked outside and the sky is gray from smoke. I am not sure which fire this smoke is from, but one thing is for sure, the drop in temperature and the snow storm on Tuesday are going to be big in fighting our current fires and preventing any potential ones this year.

Last edited:
If you ever wondered why we consistently have dewpoints in the low/mid 70s, which is on par with many tropical spots during the summer, look no further than the seemingly-endless fields of corn within the region. Corn releases tremendous amounts of water into the air every single day. This process, called transpiration, can easily add 5 degrees to the dewpoint over what would otherwise be the case. Dewpoints are typically very high in the midwestern corn belt this time of year as the corn crop matures in the region. This will tend to subside somewhat by mid-August, usually signalling an end to the oppressive dewpoints/humidity for the season.

View attachment 46736
One time I was in north central Nebraska, to a family gathering. When it was over, instead of heading home to Colorado, I headed east, got a motel room and spent the night. I got up early the next morning and headed east again. You could see the steam coming off the corn fields.

One time I was in north central Nebraska, to a family gathering. When it was over, instead of heading home to Colorado, I headed east, got a motel room and spent the night. I got up early the next morning and headed east again. You could see the steam coming off the corn fields.
That's why I was told you go through Nebraska at night, you don't have to look at it. Lol

Latest posts

Back