What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most things in life I am the most unassuming person you will ever meet. Except for biscuits making, I judge folks by their biscuits, that’s right I’m a snob, a biscuit snob.

0678623B-2892-4C4B-99BD-F4C6103EC5A3.jpeg
5F5D6FD9-D4BA-4D37-A7CE-FC592EBBE2BC.jpeg
DFA577EE-3884-4BC6-905C-5E061A29D2AA.jpeg
0BF92A0D-63E2-4E3D-857F-7F64D5DC3CF1.jpeg
F71AB110-2A7A-4741-A266-595CA167C859.jpeg
4200A11A-ECDD-4948-B9DD-6CA66E07D9A3.jpeg

I worked with a woman who said she never could make a good biscuit. I think that is the kind of person who should buy them in the tube from the store.
I was raised on big bun size biscuits. The story goes that my mother came down from Kentucky to see her sister, who introduced my mother to an old boyfriend. My Dad joked about my mother biscuits be hard & burnt a few weeks after they were wed. Mother FIL, my grandad, took her aside & taught her how to make the bun size biscuit that she made all my years at home. Someone told me they were cat head biscuits.
She used Crisco shortening, flour, home made buttermilk or fresh cows milk. Mother made more biscuits then we could eat in a 12 X 16 X 4 inches baking pan. The next morning she would cut the lift over biscuits in half, add butter & brown them as toast, never had better toast in my life. When I was 12 years old I made my first batch of biscuits, 48 years later & I am still shocked at how many grown people do not know how to make biscuit. My mother believed that a boy should be able to do anything that a girl could in the home. She said she would not dump dumb men on the world.
I can understand not having or taken time to make biscuits, but not knowing how to cook is a bad sign of the times. Maybe I am a snob, too.

I was raised on big bun size biscuits. The story goes that my mother came down from Kentucky to see her sister, who introduced my mother to an old boyfriend. My Dad joked about my mother biscuits be hard & burnt a few weeks after they were wed. Mother FIL, my grandad, took her aside & taught her how to make the bun size biscuit that she made all my years at home. Someone told me they were cat head biscuits.
She used Crisco shortening, flour, home made buttermilk or fresh cows milk. Mother made more biscuits then we could eat in a 12 X 16 X 4 inches baking pan. The next morning she would cut the lift over biscuits in half, add butter & brown them as toast, never had better toast in my life. When I was 12 years old I made my first batch of biscuits, 48 years later & I am still shocked at how many grown people do not know how to make biscuit. My mother believed that a boy should be able to do anything that a girl could in the home. She said she would not dump dumb men on the world.
I can understand not having or taken time to make biscuits, but not knowing how to cook is a bad sign of the times. Maybe I am a snob, too.
I think people are raised to be a certain way by their parents, without real thinking about how that will play out in their life. Some women are raised to be helpless princesses. That was much more this woman's M.O. She had a particular way of standing and looking when she went into that mode. She had an older brother, and that was the role she learned at home, helpless princess.

I agree with your mother, that boys (men) should be able to do anything that a girl or woman could do in the home. But I also believe that girls (women) should be able to do many things for themselves, such as change a tire on a car by themselves. Living in South Dakota, you might wait a long time for a man to come along to help you change a tire. Part of my driver's education class involved learning to change a tire. My brothers never were expected to make their beds, because they were boys and that was women's work.

My brother made some sort of experimental concoction with hamburger meat, spinach, liver, various seasonings (I think onion powder) and curry. It was delicious but it did not agree with my stomach. I've never had a problem with hamburger meat, liver, or spinach. So it's either the onion powder or the curry. I can't eat hydrated onions without getting sick so I wonder if something in the onion powder did it, but I've had stuff with onion powder and not had a bad reaction before. I have not had a lot of stuff with curry so I suspect it's the culprit.

hydrated onions & hydrated garlic are blaspheming, the onion family is so easy to grow & taste sooooooooooo Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
Why not use it fresh from the garden??!!!???
It is not you, zannej, it the dust that was once a great spice & now is an abomination.

@Amish Heart Well I think that what makes biscuit tender is the butter or lard which ever you like. I don't really use a recipe or measure anything but I will use twice the butter/lard as any recipe calls for. A lot of folks say you can overwork the dough and make a tough biscuit but after I dump the dough I'll fold it over several times each time flouring the top of the dough which makes a flakier biscuit.

In most things in life I am the most unassuming person you will ever meet. Except for biscuits making, I judge folks by their biscuits, that’s right I’m a snob, a biscuit snob.

View attachment 65345View attachment 65346View attachment 65347View attachment 65348View attachment 65349View attachment 65350

Those look good but surprised oven heat is low for me,does the altitude have somehing to do with it? I cook mine at 480 or 500 according to oven down here.
Either way HashB they look good.

Last night we had Shepard's pie, the only problem was we didn't get it to cooking in time and ended up eating around 8:30, which is about 2 hours late for me.
I just can't lay down too soon after I eat.

We have been eating salads out of the garden for lunch, the indoor tomato only plant produces about 2 tomatoes per day so we have to supplement with store-bought, you can really taste the difference.

Latest posts

Back