What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Chinese buffet on the way to samsclub. Got chicken sticks, chicken & broccoli, egg drop soup, and long beans.

Brother is trying another concoction with liver-- without hamburger meat I hope. This one has spinach and I think some cucumber. Not sure when it will be ready. We determined the grease from the hamburger is what upset my stomach. It upset his too when he got down to the greasier layers. His stomach is less sensitive to grease than mine. I normally strain the grease out but it's not easy to pick up the pot from inside the pressure cooker to dump it.

Dinner was great, the local volunteer fire dept sold fish plates tonight. But lunch was the pits, worse than even... If you ever see one of these food trucks run away, far away.

I was running late, going to the little town. Nothing else was open but fast food so I decided to try "Hiro Japanese Hibachi Express". There was nothing good about the meal but the bottle of water to wash it down with.

I got the hibachi steak lunch. When asked, I ordered my steak "Medium Rare". It wasn't even steak, it was charred stew meat full of gristle, tougher than my boots. And well done... and I thought fish was supposed to be blackened.

The fried rice, greasy, to much oil in the wok when they cooked it, probably last monday. My fried rice at home is excellent.

The veggies, carrots & broccoli were soggy. The last time they were crisp was when they came out of the freezer.

The fact I paid $13 is insulting. If I wanted a sack of crap I'd have spent $7 at micky d's! At least the fries would have been good.

jap (1)b.JPG
jap (4)b.JPG

Brother made liver chopped up in food processor with spinach. He forgot the mushrooms. He added rice wine vinegar and green curry. I added mushrooms later. He added more spinach that was not chopped up. It's missing something though. The texture is OK, but I think there's too much acid from the vinegar. It needs something to temper it. I'm wondering if cottage cheese would work. Or maybe a different type of cheese. I put it in tortillas to have a liver burrito. It's not as good as when my mom made liver for us. She would marinate it in wine and then cook it in a pan so it was still moist.

For Mother's Day:

Stella Artois for me and our son, Dr. Pepper for my wife
Salad (mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, mushrooms, grated fresh Parmesan cheese, slivered almonds, croutons, dressing)
Grilled NY Strip steaks
Grilled Lobster tails with melted butter
Sauteed mushrooms
Chicken flavored noodles
Buttermilk biscuits
Vanilla/caramel/English toffee ice cream

It was all a tad too much food, I will admit.

I wanted grilled lemon pepper asparagus or garlic sauteed green beans as the green vegetable for the meal, but I was out voted by my wife and son who wanted those silly chicken flavored noodles (of all things!) - but it was Mother's Day, so they won out and we ended up with a meal sans vegetables (well, I guess the salad counted towards that a little bit).

Man, I love those sauteed mushrooms!

Latest posts

Back