What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love pho, but when we go out to eat it, I think it has msg. Within a day of eating a bowl, I have a serious headache. I have tried to make it at home, but there is no comparison, at least when I've made it.
I try to keep somethings simple.
Few years ago, when I was really reading labels on things and decided not to eat processed foods.
By the way, I still eat some processed foods, but not much.
Hurricane Estelle likes mac and cheese.
When I was looking up ingredients then looking up preservetives decided I didn't need that stuff in my body.
Simple clear broths, mushrooms sliced thinly, carrots cut with vegetable peeler so very thin, pepper, season to taste, tonight's pho had thinly sliced pork cutlet.

Last night we had "Burrito Bowls" made from grilled & diced lime chicken, black beans, shredded lettuce, chopped raw spinach, diced red onion, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, cilantro, and hot sauce.

Tonight I am making slow cooker meatballs in spicy red pepper marinara with roasted garlic/parmesan cauliflower & zucchini.

I'm in the mood for..............:)

upload_2019-9-6_9-30-26.jpeg

I try to keep somethings simple.
Few years ago, when I was really reading labels on things and decided not to eat processed foods.
By the way, I still eat some processed foods, but not much.
Hurricane Estelle likes mac and cheese.
When I was looking up ingredients then looking up preservetives decided I didn't need that stuff in my body.
Simple clear broths, mushrooms sliced thinly, carrots cut with vegetable peeler so very thin, pepper, season to taste, tonight's pho had thinly sliced pork cutlet.
OPSEC, there was once a hurricane with my first name. Several people began calling me Hurricane XXXX. Trust me, I have never been a hurricane. I am a much more laid back person, physically, socially, emotionally. In crowds, depending on the situation, I can be the quietest person in the room and people will question if I was really there?

Ground sirloin burgers with onions, bell pepper, mushrooms, and chopped jalapeno mixed in the meat, Cajun fries, cottage cheese, and cookie pie for dessert.
I have some burger in the fridge, and am trying to figure out what to make with it. I think this is what it will be--burgers with onions and seasoning. I don't eat a lot at one meal. I tend to eat more smaller meals.

I have some burger in the fridge, and am trying to figure out what to make with it. I think this is what it will be--burgers with onions and seasoning. I don't eat a lot at one meal. I tend to eat more smaller meals.

I always mix the onions, bell pepper, etc., right in with the meat....maybe throw in a little honey-mustard BBQ sauce, too. Seems to taste better when the add-ons are cooked right in with the meat.

He makes a flavor called Brown Sugar Bourbon, he uses real Bourbon, not artificial flavoring , my favorite. He probably does 20 different flavors.

Jim
I love the sound of the 'hit & miss' engine that's actually cranking the ice-cream!
I studied them extensively.
Amazingly efficient! (that's it going "Paff.........Paff.........Paff")
Unfortunately they are lost to the past for smaller, lighter, cheaper-to-make, engines:(.

Last edited:
Tonight... my first attempt at Brunswick Stew. I went with the quick version and a recipe off the net, most were basically the same.

3/4lb of pulled pork, smoked of course, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, frozen whole kernel corn, lima beans and an onion... Some brown sugar, your favorite BBQ sauce, cayenne and a little Worcestershire sauce. Pepper and salt to taste.

Still an hour left to simmer but I had a taste already, it's yummy. Yep, tastes like brunswick stew. I just wish I had cornbread to go with it.

Brunswick stew (2)_v1.jpg

Today it's cold for the tropics and the wind is freezing ( for a tropical person).
I am also feeling a little impoverished today so I dragged out a large beef roast
out of the freezer and putting into the slow cooker and making pot roast.
I'll roast some of my precious home grown potatoes in the air fryer along with homegrown
sweet potatoes.
Some sautéed cabbage (also home grown) with bacon, onions and garlic.

I may even try a recipe for stove top custard that I found on the internet.

Well, I was going to have German Sausage cooked in kraut with some buttered squash but that fell apart when I forgot to take the sausage out of the freezer this morning. Doh!

So now I will most likely be ordering in pizza for the kids, a salad for the wife, and some buffalo wings for me. This is our 5-6 times a year default meal for when things go wrong.

Latest posts

Back