What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little pizza I made for lunch today.

pzza.jpg

It is my Birthday today and I decided that I wanted to savor a lot of new flavors, so we went to a VERY well rated middle eastern buffet.

It was a friendly little place with very good service, and a lot of customers in traditional dress. I enjoyed every bite, but I really do like American food better. There was hummus, and freshly made pita bread, and different kinds of meat Kebabs, and 3 kinds of rice, 2 kinds of curry, etc. It was fun but I like American food better, with one exception.

The "Persian ice cream" was made on the site, and it was fragrant with rose water and had cardamom and pistacios and I forget what else. It was excellent.

I have been far too limited handling milk products: instead of the usual heavy flavors like caramel and chocolate I should explore the aromatics like spices and rose water: it is truly good

I was full when I came home but I did not feel satisfied so I ate some spice cake with dried fruit I made earlier. That did the trick: THEN I felt fully satisfied!
Happy Birthday!

It is my Birthday today and I decided that I wanted to savor a lot of new flavors, so we went to a VERY well rated middle eastern buffet.

It was a friendly little place with very good service, and a lot of customers in traditional dress. I enjoyed every bite, but I really do like American food better. There was hummus, and freshly made pita bread, and different kinds of meat Kebabs, and 3 kinds of rice, 2 kinds of curry, etc. It was fun but I like American food better, with one exception.

The "Persian ice cream" was made on the site, and it was fragrant with rose water and had cardamom and pistacios and I forget what else. It was excellent.

I have been far too limited handling milk products: instead of the usual heavy flavors like caramel and chocolate I should explore the aromatics like spices and rose water: it is truly good

I was full when I came home but I did not feel satisfied so I ate some spice cake with dried fruit I made earlier. That did the trick: THEN I felt fully satisfied!
Belated Happy Birthday, Terri!

I LOVE Middle Eastern food: hummus, pita bread, and falafel! Yum!

Yesterday we had ham, so tonight I am going scramble up some huevos rancheros. Well, my version of it anyway. I will whip together eggs, heavy cream, salt & pepper then scramble it in a skillet with butter, diced ham, leftover pork sausage, bell peppers, onions, jalapeno and a touch of cilantro. Then I will hit the top with a little paprika and some Cholula.

Beef Tips 01_v1.jpg
Tonight I planned beef tips and rice, a nice meal for a cold night. I usually just use stew meat with onion and beef stock. I noticed I had a package of shitake mushrooms in the fridge that was about to go bad. So, I chopped them up and added half at the start of the cook then the other half with 30 minutes to go. I had a loaf of French bread so I made garlic toast to go with the meal. It was amazing! The mushrooms put it over the top! I think I’m going to change my recipe and always add mushrooms.

Reheating our pizza we made last night when we had visitors and we will have this with homemade pasta salad and magic mix chocolate pudding for dessert made from food storage. The pizza topping is homegrown tomatoes, capsicum and tinned mushrooms and the pasta salad has more homegrown snow peas, capsicum and a tin of corn.

Bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with jalapeño cream cheese. I had left over brussels sprouts sauteed in butter and the rest of the family had leftover green beans.

Ground lamb and broccoli. I'm the only one in the house that eats lamb. K thinks its gross but then he's never had lamb until we got married. Just like with fish, goat and duck. He's a chicken and beef boy.

Have ever tried the keto "bread"? It's just egg, cream of garter, spenda (optional) baked. My brother had some made tonight. It's really pretty good.

Splenda is a sugar mix. Sugar is a carb and a big no-no.

Splenda is a sugar mix. Sugar is a carb and a big no-no.

Ok, I didn't think it was either, but that's just what he quoted. I personally don't think that any kind of sweetener is needed. It's probably just to give it more "bready " taste. Is spenda a sugar mix or Truvia? I really don't like either myself.

Ok, I didn't think it was either, but that's just what he quoted. I personally don't think that any kind of sweetener is needed. It's probably just to give it more "bready " taste. Is spenda a sugar mix or Truvia? I really don't like either myself.

Splenda is a sugar mix and so is Truvia.

I use liquid stevia if I need something sweet.

Tonight I had the worst barbeque sandwich I’ve had in almost 2 decades (the last time I had one outside the southeast). I’ve said for years that everyone in the southeast knows how to smoke a pork butt. Well, that’s no longer true. I found someone who doesn’t and I’m actually ashamed this poser lives in Alabama. We take barbeque seriously down here!

I even keep a bottle of my favorite sauce in the truck (unbreakable)
Sauce_v1.jpg
The last time I got pulled over the cop looked at the bottle and said “You go to George’s place huh?” He recognized the sauce. George has the best sauce in town (and he knows how to smoke pork). Tonight I just didn’t want to fight traffic half way across town and tried the new place.

Tonight I had the worst barbeque sandwich I’ve had in almost 2 decades (the last time I had one outside the southeast). I’ve said for years that everyone in the southeast knows how to smoke a pork butt. Well, that’s no longer true. I found someone who doesn’t and I’m actually ashamed this poser lives in Alabama. We take barbeque seriously down here!

I even keep a bottle of my favorite sauce in the truck (unbreakable)View attachment 2896 The last time I got pulled over the cop looked at the bottle and said “You go to George’s place huh?” He recognized the sauce. George has the best sauce in town (and he knows how to smoke pork). Tonight I just didn’t want to fight traffic half way across town and tried the new place.
Youre Lucky. I bought a Real Smoker, a few months ago. Im smoking my own. The Closest Good Smoked meat is 3 hrs drive from me at "Alice Cooperstown" in PHX.

Latest posts

Back