What are you paying for gas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in NYC, I pay $2.75 each way on the subway, typical trip is about 2-5 miles. So if I had a car that got 15 miles to the gallon, that would be $15-20 per gallon.

Then again, lots of people here just hop or crawl under the turnstiles, or wait for someone to open the emergency exit door when leaving. So I guess in that sense gas is free here, too!
Probably not the best "if" - my old gas guzzling 4WD Bronco gets 15 mpg. My car I drive daily gets 40-45 mpg. Still cheaper not to have a rig, I know, but changes the figures significantly.

about 75% of that is tax.
What are they going to do when electric cars take over?
The UK is not very big. If you have a 500 mile range you could pretty much drive around the whole thing (unlike the US).
It's obvious that the fuel taxes are not just used for road maintenance but other things as well.
There is no way to differentiate how much of a person's electrical use went into heating water or charging their car.

What are they going to do when electric cars take over?
The UK is not very big. If you have a 500 mile range you could pretty much drive around the whole thing (unlike the US).
It's obvious that the fuel taxes are not just used for road maintenance but other things as well.
There is no way to differentiate how much of a person's electrical use went into heating water or charging their car.
Milage taxes can fill that gap.

Ben

Road maintenance taxes? I sure hope you have excellent roads there.
you have to be joking, there are potholes everywhere and I do mean everywhere.
the fuel tax goes into general taxation.
we pay a yearly car tax which is supposed to go into road maintenance but I think that goes into general taxation too.

Thursday night ours jumped by 25 cents a gallon. It had dropped to 2.95 for about a week. Friday morning when we went out it had jumped to 3.20 a gallon.

Holding steady at $2.97 so far
Didn't oil jump to over $70 a barrel? That should make the price go up

Looks like CA govt is trying to avoid going broke by breaking its citizens - probably using the Electric Vehicle Incentive excuse. One of those Short Term Fix things, eh?
Cali is always like that. They gotta fund that bankrupt pile of crap state somehow. When you drive into California you fill up before you cross the state line and you only buy enough while you're there to get you back across the line.

Latest posts

Back