What are your pet peeves?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in New York, you pay a fee any time you buy soft drinks, beer or bottled water - a nickel per container. You can return the containers and get your money back. I had a few can & bottle return receipts and a full bag of cans, so I went to the store. I put the cans in the return machine, got my receipt and found I had $9.95 when combined with my other receipts.

I handed the cashier my receipts and a dollar bill, expecting to get $10.95 back - I wanted a $10 bill rather than four $1 and one $5. She was absolutely perplexed - she just couldn't wrap her head around such advanced math. So she called a manager over who was also mystified. I tried explaining the math, but they didn't get it. The folks behind me started chuckling. So I took the $1 bill back and had them cash the receipts. I put the 95 cents in my pocket, then coupled the $9 back with my dollar bill and asked if they could give me a $10 bill. They did.

Maybe the light went on at that point...I dunno.

Here in New York, you pay a fee any time you buy soft drinks, beer or bottled water - a nickel per container. You can return the containers and get your money back. I had a few can & bottle return receipts and a full bag of cans, so I went to the store. I put the cans in the return machine, got my receipt and found I had $9.95 when combined with my other receipts.

I handed the cashier my receipts and a dollar bill, expecting to get $10.95 back - I wanted a $10 bill rather than four $1 and one $5. She was absolutely perplexed - she just couldn't wrap her head around such advanced math. So she called a manager over who was also mystified. I tried explaining the math, but they didn't get it. The folks behind me started chuckling. So I took the $1 bill back and had them cash the receipts. I put the 95 cents in my pocket, then coupled the $9 back with my dollar bill and asked if they could give me a $10 bill. They did.

It's AMAZING how many people are perplexed in that situation 😂

Really? This must be the next big money maker for stores.
Halloween in early august.jpg

I always get a chuckle out of this scenario as I walk out shaking my head, lol. It' sad and amusing at the same time.

Ok I searched the whole forum and cannot believe I haven't ranted about my biggest pet-peeve...
People that use the term "make sure" constantly.
This is the only way to tell someone to do something and give them no idea how to do it...
Like if I told you: "make sure the sun doesn't shine tomorrow🤪".
It always triggers me because it screams: "Warning! Stupid person talking!"gaah.
Don't know why, but I have been bombarded with those today.:mad:
And remember, make sure your 401K balance doesn't go down:thumbs:🤪.

Last edited:
This is the first time I have seen this thread I think. Some funny things on here

My pet peeves hmmmmm I can't think of anything at the moment. But I used to really hate people driving in the left lane on the interstate blocking it by going same speed as the vehicle in the right lane. I was always wishing for a RPG to remove them
( but I don't drive much on the interstate anymore so it doesn't matter to me anymore)

This is the first time I have seen this thread I think. Some funny things on here

My pet peeves hmmmmm I can't think of anything at the moment. But I used to really hate people driving in the left lane on the interstate blocking it by going same speed as the vehicle in the right lane. I was always wishing for a RPG to remove them
( but I don't drive much on the interstate anymore so it doesn't matter to me anymore)
Ok, how about when the person standing in front of you at a convenience store (where people go, to go in and out quickly) strikes up a 15-minute conversation with the cashier? :mad:
That doesn't make your blood boil?

Ok I searched the whole forum and cannot believe I haven't ranted about my biggest pet-peeve...
People that use the term "make sure" constantly.
This is the only way to tell someone to do something and give them no idea how to do it...
Like if I told you: "make sure the sun doesn't shine tomorrow🤪".
It always triggers me because it screams: "Warning! Stupid person talking!"gaah.
Don't know why, but I have been bombarded with those today.:mad:
Remember, make sure your 401K balance doesn't go down:thumbs:🤪.
Can I be that person? Please don't hate me, I'm kinda giggling on this side because in your peeve of "when people say," you used one of mine. . .
It's "people who," the "place where," the "thing that," etc. It has become the norm for folks to say "people that" which I believe to be part of media’s purposeful plan to dehumanize others. I don't say anything, but I really was giggling on this end - you can make sure of that ;)

Last edited:
I've already said this in this thread, but people who can't keep a constant speed on the Interstates drive me up the wall. I had one today go past me doing around 80 in a 65, then slow down and match my speed for a few seconds, before hammering the pedal and racing away. What the hell? Is it that hard to put the cruise on when there's not a ramp for 20 miles? And when I'm passing someone and they speed up so I have to speed up to go around them, I want to blow out all four of their tires.

I've already said this in this thread, but people who can't keep a constant speed on the Interstates drive me up the wall. I had one today go past me doing around 80 in a 65, then slow down and match my speed for a few seconds, before hammering the pedal and racing away. What the hell? Is it that hard to put the cruise on when there's not a ramp for 20 miles? And when I'm passing someone and they speed up so I have to speed up to go around them, I want to blow out all four of their tires.
Most likely they were on the phone texting.
I had a car pass me 6 times in 50 miles and I had my cruise control set at 73.
He would pass me then a few miles later I would pass him.
Every time I passed him he had his phone in his hand and when he passed me he didn't.

Non posted prices. Their I said it
Wth is wrong with stores lately?
Prices going up and store professionalism going down

You almost can not shop unless you have your phone and an app to scan items to find the price
Then I run into some yahoo that is hosting a festival he gives me a link that wants all my information but does not tell me what the booth fee is. He says it is AFTER the person asl info
Back the truck up!!!
Noooooo. Tell me the booth fee
THEN, IF, I decide i want a booth I will continue

Latest posts

Back