What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in the grocery store yesterday. It's a medium sized chain of stores, they have 120 locations in the Midwest, and they had fresh chicken coming out of their ears. They cut their meat in house which may explain why they can keep inventory up. They don't have to deal with processing plants. They just get the carcass. But Walmart just down the street, had hardly any chicken. They have to rely on the meat being packaged...
I shop at a smaller grocery store that is not forced to buy stuff to sell at the lowest price.
Wal-Mart made a name for itself buying production overruns from suppliers for way less than competitors paid.
This is not the vendor you want when stuff gets scarce:oops:.
I did work for them for years, before I retired.
They have an entire 'cubical village' of people who do nothing but call about every invoice to get the price reduced. If the price wasn't reduced, they just wouldn't pay the bill.
After all, they were the almighty Wal-Mart and not worried about their credit rating.
Every vendor hated them and refused to do work for them.
The factory that we sold equipment for forced us to do work for WM or we couldn't be a dealer for their brand anymore. :mad:
That's how WM does business.
walmart.jpg

When they say: "Low Price", don't be trying to get paid by them:(.
Anybody that sells to them will tell you the same thing.
There are contracts with suppliers that will be expiring.
Suppliers will be just saying "no" to 'the low prices' soon.:oops:
"Don't put all of your eggs trust in one basket"... especially if it is blue.

Last edited:
I think that is what we are seeing on a national basis, some stores have supply chains in tact for some stuff but have supply issues for other stuff. It is hit or miss in an area or even between stores.

I think that the O'Biden administration wants to create an emergency to blame on the truckers so they can justify pushing autonomous (no-driver) trucks into the mainstream...

Call me evil but I am invested in autonomous truck technology...

:rolleyes:

Ben

Call me evil but I am invested in autonomous truck technology...

:rolleyes:

Ben
I'll give you a run for your money (pun:p).
I am invested in a heartless electric power company and the evil Exxon company :oops:.
...and it is not because I like either company...
I love/live-off-of their fat dividends😍.
C'mon, they are gonna give that money to somebody, why not me?:dunno:

Sorry, I got off topic. Now back to the quest for Funyuns:).
ci-funyuns-original-rings-0a2a75f736ed28e6.png

Last edited:
@Neb @Supervisor42 I can top you both. My employer has offered us a stock buying option and I'm getting in. Thing is, I work for a company that is widely rated as the #1 worst company in America to work for. The absolute epitome of corporate greed and corruption. But I'm going to get a 40% match from them for every share I buy, and those shares are over $200 now. They've gone up over $100 a share since 2008 including a split. Can I afford not to get in?

Autonomous trucks will be a big part of our children's future. Like trains were in the past.
Let's face it, driving an 18-wheeler down 200 miles of boring interstate is just not that hard.
Heck, even I have done it, so it can't be that hard :rolleyes:.
They will have dock yards in each big city for the 'bots to drop their trailers. Like a train yard.
Nobody misses the guy running the elevator in a building anymore today, huh? :(
Like you in the last elevator you rode in, they will just punch in the destination city and off it goes.
@Spikedriver : Don't hate the devil, put his a$$ to work for you!:thumbs:

On topic: No shortages of anything in our local grocery store.:)

Last edited:
There's definitely a population reduction agenda being carried out. I'd love to know how many people have actually died in China since woohoo floo was turned loose on us. The true numbers are probably staggering.

People are waking up though so there's still hope. It will be interesting to see the world in just two more years.
Just yesterday I had located a video based on the governments population reduction program . However even before I could get it on save so I could paste it , it was banned and it would only show a screen showing something to the effect " this video has been banned " . The doctor on the video interview was referencing " only 10% of the population may survive the die off , basically caused by the vaccine injections .---- The food crises that we will be seeing soon , fuel restrictions and the desperate government officals wanting everyone to take their shot are all pulling the same wagon , toward " world population genocide " .

I like the IDEA of trucks driving themselves, but I have a autonomous vacuum cleaner and if the trucks are anything like that we are in for a game of world class bumper cars..... And how are those trucks going to unload themselves? ever watch a truck being unloaded?

Back to the shortages issue, I am doing a grocery run this morning and will give a report upon return. We are doing our Thanks Giving meal a couple weeks early because that when we can get family together......

Hey, at least this time the wife didn't give me the grocery list on the Wednesday before Thanks Giving: NOW there is a scene of carnage, day before Thanks Giving grocery shopping.....

Just yesterday I had located a video based on the governments population reduction program . However even before I could get it on save so I could paste it , it was banned and it would only show a screen showing something to the effect " this video has been banned " . The doctor on the video interview was referencing " only 10% of the population may survive the die off , basically caused by the vaccine injections .---- The food crises that we will be seeing soon , fuel restrictions and the desperate government officals wanting everyone to take their shot are all pulling the same wagon , toward " world population genocide " .
For one global government!

Well I was very successful in my morning shopping trip today... I was able to get everything on my list BUT.... There were no low price turkeys, no spiral cut hams (in fact I did not see any hams), they had no peach yogurt, and no Funon type onion rings(I don't buy them but I looked anyway).

On the positive: the produce department was okay (the only thing they didn't have was parsley and fruit like peaches or plums), they had a good assortment of meats including chickens, there was a good stock of cheese, and all of the canned goods looked well stocked. They even had the inexpensive variety of the juice that the wife uses to wash down her medicine.

Overall I was happy with what I saw.

Just glancing at this tread...but the funyuns pic caught my eye....a week ago they are $4.29 at walmart and $4.49 at kroger....you cant find a wise onion ring in my area. i think wise has stopped making them or something.needless to say the funyuns will sit on shelf for a long time waiting on me to purchase them.

Let's face it, driving an 18-wheeler down 200 miles of boring interstate is just not that hard.
Heck, even I have done it, so it can't be that hard

Try logging a couple million miles. ;)

And how are those trucks going to unload themselves? ever watch a truck being unloaded?

Automated forklifts, lol. I backed into a dock at a Budweiser plant in Ohio, and the only live person I dealt with was at the gate. He checked me in, I went to the door and docked, a forklift with a ghost rider loaded me, and i returned to the gate for my paperwork. I was so in disbelief that a fork lift could load me all by itself, I stood at the back of the trailer peeking through the crack and watched it. It was the only time I saw such a thing. They certainly aren't the norm.

Try logging a couple million miles. ;)

Automated forklifts, lol. I backed into a dock at a Budweiser plant in Ohio, and the only live person I dealt with was at the gate. He checked me in, I went to the door and docked, a forklift with a ghost rider loaded me, and i returned to the gate for my paperwork. I was so in disbelief that a fork lift could load me all by itself, I stood at the back of the trailer peeking through the crack and watched it. It was the only time I saw such a thing. They certainly aren't the norm.
I just try to stay out of the way of the automated floor sweepers in Walmart! 🤪

I like the IDEA of trucks driving themselves, but I have a autonomous vacuum cleaner and if the trucks are anything like that we are in for a game of world class bumper cars..... And how are those trucks going to unload themselves? ever watch a truck being unloaded?

Back to the shortages issue, I am doing a grocery run this morning and will give a report upon return. We are doing our Thanks Giving meal a couple weeks early because that when we can get family together......

Hey, at least this time the wife didn't give me the grocery list on the Wednesday before Thanks Giving: NOW there is a scene of carnage, day before Thanks Giving grocery shopping.....
For good clean fun get 3 of them running and they all end up in the same room .

🤣

Ben

There is an online app that is perfectly legal as far as I know that allows you to rip you tube videos and save them as avi format, you can then host them on your own site, drop box or the cloud as long as they are not copyrighted. if they don't say copyrighted before the movie starts, its yours!

I think this is it.
https://mp4s.org/mp4-convert/

I cannot do that! My list is already shorter because I am already shopping for things and have been for a while. I saw the first Thanksgiving display at my local grocery store in early September. I've been seeing frozen turkeys for at least a month, but due to limited space, I have not bought one yet.

Magus my friend, you need to read the copyright laws.
As soon as a movie is viewable it is protected by copyright. As soon as I type this note it is protected by two parts of the copyright law. I am the author and hold copyright to the note AND the forum holds the copyright to the thread it is in. I can copy and paste my note anywhere and anytime and the forum can copy the thread to which it is attached. I cannot remove my post from the thread without permission of the forum because they hold that copyright.
No copyright is required to have the copyright label ie: copyright (c) name date; as the law states the copyright is active when it is made viewable.
The same rules apply to videos, movies and even choreography.

As soon as a movie is viewable it is protected by copyright. As soon as I type this note it is protected by two parts of the copyright law. I am the author and hold copyright to the note AND the forum holds the copyright to the thread it is in. I can copy and paste my note anywhere and anytime and the forum can copy the thread to which it is attached. I cannot remove my post from the thread without permission of the forum because they hold that copyright.
No copyright is required to have the copyright label ie: copyright (c) name date; as the law states the copyright is active when it is made viewable.
That explains why the cable company kept accusing me of downloading movies!

As a retired programmer copyright is something I care about because I never wanted anyone to steal my works.

Ben

Daughter works in the corporate level of the food industry. We were talking about Thanksgiving and turkeys. I mentioned that there is a rumor of turkey shortages, and she said she has heard that as well.

Her restaurant is having a hard time sourcing chicken.

The restaurants around here are having chicken issues too. When they get them in the breasts/tenders are half of the thickness they used to be.

I went shopping this week and there was no Keystone canned meat (which they usually carry) of any kind in the store I went to. However, there were other brands of meat in smaller cans.

We hit the store at the perfect time. They apparently were out of turkeys in the morning, but we went in the early afternoon. The place was packed with people. The freezer where the turnkey were located were crawling with people. There was a limit of 2 turkeys per person at less than .40 per pound. We bought a large one and a smaller one. I made room in the freezer for them b/c I just could NOT turn down that deal. The way it looked, those turkeys were going to be gone in a couple of hours. I'm glad we got there when we did.

ETA: We went to HD and there were no chest freezers to be had. We wanted to buy one for a gift. I guess I'll look online.

Latest posts

Back