What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday 4 pints of sauce...cooking down the last of the picked tomatoes for sauce. I am going to pick the last of the tomatoes and quit that project...still have lots more to harvest. Yesterday was so windy, I had to go out after the winds calmed to pick up apples.

Yesterday’s batch of pear butter.

13ED0EB2-9FC8-42FC-9796-A344F672F99B.jpeg

Yesterday was re-canning day. From #10 cans into quarts and pints that are more usable to me. Also, had 2-70+ ounce plastic containers (which I saved for future use) of salsa. I know that tomato products in cans don't last as long and tend to rust?!
3 quarts and 1 pint of tomato sauce.
3 quarts and 1 pint of spaghetti sauce.
8 pints of salsa with a little extra.

Technically not sure if it’s considered canning but got some duck “lard” rendering. Never tried duck “lard”. Didn’t want to throw out the scraps so figured it was worth a try. We do other fats normally after butchering so I figured why not try it. So far we got 2 pints jared up. Looks like maybe another pint or so by the time it’s done. Excited to try it.

Technically not sure if it’s considered canning but got some duck “lard” rendering. Never tried duck “lard”. Didn’t want to throw out the scraps so figured it was worth a try. We do other fats normally after butchering so I figured why not try it. So far we got 2 pints jared up. Looks like maybe another pint or so by the time it’s done. Excited to try it.
I've never had duck lard either. Let us know if it's any good.

This week we canned 4 more flats of roasted peppers.. I have one more batch of tomato sauce to can and then the normal canning is done for this summer. We will still have to can several flats of our quick meals but they will be done as we eat up what we have already made (and free up some jars).

7 pints of chili and 4 pints of beef stew that were left from dinner the last couple of weekends. Just got my pressure canner a few weeks ago and these are my first ventures in using it.

View attachment 75294
Good Job! Now repeat after me, "I am a new canning addict and will visiting here regularly for support." 😂
Isn't it rewarding?

We pressure canned some beef in quart jars. The recipe didn't call for any extra water or broth. We packed them to about 1.5 inches from the top. I know there was some discussion on meats, but I was unable to find that again. Does this look right? I was under the impression the liquid should cover the meat.
KIMG2345.JPG

Last edited:
We pressure canned some beef in quart jars. The recipe didn't call for any extra water or broth. We packed them to about 1.5 inches from the top. I know there was some discussion on meats, but I was unable to find that again. Does this look right? I was under the impression the liquid should cover the meat.View attachment 75796
After time the meat above the liquid line will discolor, you may already know that. It all depends on how lean the meat is when canning if the liquid covers. Looks like you had some very lean meat.

Latest posts

Back