What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will. from what I read I should be able to throw them in oil ad brown them up.
Yesterday I was tired from work. Let's admit it is the holiday season, which means I am working my butt off right now. I made prebreaded fish sticks and baked french fries. It took awhile . . . about an hour total to brown up but I did switch the oven to roast. I still had to go out to do my evening feeding and take my shower so was good.

Can you can Potatoes soup with heavy cream & cheese in it & how long will it store?

I don't think it will end well straight out of the canner. It will probably be even scarier over time. I am not above being creative and not following the canning bible, but cream doesn't take heat well. Amish will probably have a good opinion on this one.

Last edited:
I don't think it will end well straight out of the canner. It will probably be even scarier over time. I am not above bring creative and not following the canning bible, but cream doesn't take heat well. Amish will probably have a good opinion on this one.
Thanks, Let me tell you what happen, bought 50 pounds of potatoes & gave son 15 pounds, he made the potato soup & ask his mother for some canning jars. She tell him it will not work, so he says he had plant to give some away. Now I have to quart jars of potato soup & am wondering if it can be safely caned.
DW said next time can the cooked potatoes & make the soup when you open the jar each month.
Sounds good, BUT you do not know if you do not ask, so I am asking.

Thanks, Let me tell you what happen, bought 50 pounds of potatoes & gave son 15 pounds, he made the potato soup & ask his mother for some canning jars. She tell him it will not work, so he says he had plant to give some away. Now I have to quart jars of potato soup & am wondering if it can be safely caned.
DW said next time can the cooked potatoes & make the soup when you open the jar each month.
Sounds good, BUT you do not know if you do not ask, so I am asking.

Do you know how he canned it? Pressure canning or water bath? If he was asking for jars I would think he doesn’t own a pressure canner.
I agree with your wife. That’s what we’ve done.
Always ask! We all have questions at times. That’s one of the great things about this family. So many willing to help 🙂

He has not can it, not sure how he was going to do it, but he got the jars & is going to give has friend some of the soup. They will have to use it this month instead of later, as he had planed.
DW has used both pressure canning & water bath. He may have been planning to water bath, it takes less
money up front.

Can you can Potatoes soup with heavy cream & cheese in it & how long will it store?

I think the cream and cheese will separate. I follow a facebook page called S.N.U.G. (means Still Not Usda Guidelines). A lot of creativeness going on there and so many recipes!

You are not supposed to can any dairy or anything thickener like flour. Dairy and flour because of the density don't reach the necessary temperature to be safely canned even in a pressure cooker. For instance if you want to can chicken and dumpling soup you can can the chicken soup part, and make the dumplings fresh or freeze them and put them in the soup when you heat it up after opening.

https://extension.psu.edu/foods-that-are-not-safe-to-can

That what DW said, but I had to ask, to be sure.
Thank all of you for keeping me on the straight & narrow.

I did 16.5 pints of applesauce w/ cinnamon today. I think that's the end of my canning for the year other than doing dried beans to make cooked beans ready to go in jars. I bought the frozen veggies last week to put on the dehydrator but have been on the run so haven't done that yet. I'm hoping tomorrow to straighten up in the summer kitchen and get the big dehydrator down and get going on it.

After all my whinging about no veggies for sale, I am once again floating in them. The stores have been getting in some very sad looking storage veggies and they are not selling. Seems people would rather do without.

I got several hundred pounds of pared down cabbage, beets, turnips, limp carrots, celery and parsnips. Also scored about 20 lbs of golf ball sized onions. All for 80% off.

Today I made chicken stock, tomorrow its veggie stock. There isn't going to be a shortage of soup base in the old school for quite a while.

After all my whinging about no veggies for sale, I am once again floating in them. The stores have been getting in some very sad looking storage veggies and they are not selling. Seems people would rather do without.

I got several hundred pounds of pared down cabbage, beets, turnips, limp carrots, celery and parsnips. Also scored about 20 lbs of golf ball sized onions. All for 80% off.

Today I made chicken stock, tomorrow its veggie stock. There isn't going to be a shortage of soup base in the old school for quite a while.
That's awesome! I don't think folks even know what turnips are these days - or parsnips. That will be fabulous broth for soups or to cook rice in - yum!

That's awesome! I don't think folks even know what turnips are these days - or parsnips. That will be fabulous broth for soups or to cook rice in - yum!

Another thing that turnips are good for is stamping. I am sure you have all heard of making stamps with potatoes, but turnips are dryer and hold the paint better.

You can make some pretty cool custom painted 'wall paper' using carved veggie stamps.

update on canned french fry cut potatoes. they are a no go, turned out soft and mushy

Try rinsing them off and drying them completely with a paper towel before frying. They are better but still not a favorite of ours.

Oh, cut them McDonald's thin. No home fries.

I've never tried to fry them, just baked. We like them better dry packed and pressure canned.

Got 4 pints and one half pint of "What to do with my mushy pickles relish" yesterday.

Today am thawing and roasting a turkey carcass with some veggies to put in the roaster with water overnight for broth to pressure can tomorrow. Don't know how much I will end up with.

I've never tried to fry them, just baked. We like them better dry packed and pressure canned.

Got 4 pints and one half pint of "What to do with my mushy pickles relish" yesterday.

Today am thawing and roasting a turkey carcass with some veggies to put in the roaster with water overnight for broth to pressure can tomorrow. Don't know how much I will end up with.

I have some like that but we haven't tried them yet.

1638314837107.png

I am beat. 28 quarts leek, potatoes and bacon soup

DICED:
16 onions
28 sticks celery
72 leeks
Sautéed all of the above and put in jars

Cubed and blanched 28 potatoes; added to jars
Added chopped cooked bacon
Filled 16 qrts of veggie stock I made yesterday

Tomorrow I cry if I try it and it sucks. I have never pressure canned this before. It will get puréed when heating it up, and seasoning adjusted as needed.

Latest posts

Back