What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm going to dream about squirrel dumplings all night.... :(

Funny thing... I didn't dream about squirrel dumplings. After shredding old bills for 8 hours I dreamed about bills all night. At one point I got a water bill for $4800.00. I don't pay the water bill! Then the satellite tv bill came, I pay it for me and my dad... it was over $7000. L8tr a bill collector was coming at me for a $20K tractor I didn't buy!

I would have much rather dreamed about squirrel dumplings... ;)

Today we started off the morning with me watering all the star jasmine and hedges around the side of the house with our bath water from last night. We love to make our water stretch as far as possible to water grass or plants with to have a second or even third use being as we are in drought. DH went and watered the neighbour's gardens as we are house sitting for her while she is away on a 3 week holiday.

Then we loaded up the hay we accidentally took instead of manure and took it back and picked up 3/4's of a cubic metre of cow manure to bring back home and I helped a bit to rake up cow manure and hay in the paddocks and feed lot.

Back home again where we unloaded the cow manure into the back load bays.

Tonight's dinner was rump steak, fried eggs and cheese and later on tonight DH will clean the benches and wash the dishes and I will wipe them and put them away.

Good thing I got up early...watching the weather on TV after the radio warnings began....they issued a take safety measures re tornado activity around us...go to your place of safety now...so we put on our hard hats and went to the tornado shelter in our yard. So what does hubby say while we are down there.. "we should have brought a thermos of coffee"..."we should bring some blankets down here, could get cold after the hail" and as the hail is hitting the metal door....."Gee, I hope my new rain gauge doesn't get hit"...but the funniest one..."If I was riding a horse in this, I would take off the saddle and put it over my head" (and let the poor horse take a beating), Oh my...finally back in the house sipping coffee...….

I worked out, watched some post apocalyptic vids and listened to music, such as this song

Also finished watching the tremors the series on youtube.. they have the full lenght episodes there.

Look what a neighbor brought me! A 2.5 pound venison summer sausage w/jalapeno. It's yummy, already had some.

20190518_134846_v1.jpg

Just got the word today that my job is getting cut off effective the 22nd or 23rd. This actually isn't a huge deal, as we're union and I can go "bump" into any other position I have enough seniority for, but between 120 and 200 jobs are being cut across our system. Things will be a bit unsettled for a while. This hasn't happened to me for over three years, and I guess I forgot how it feels when you don't know what you'll be doing in the near future...but I'm fairly confident I won't have to file for unemployment. It sure seems funny to me that we're setting profit records every quarter, and those profits are in the *billions* at year's end, but we need to cut jobs because we're spending too much money...and I hope the shareholders enjoy their dividends. Some guy with kids to feed is going to be paying for them...

Sorry to hear that Spike. Upheaval in your job is always unsettling no matter what. Hope things work out well in your case.
Thanks, things should turn out ok. But it may take a while to get things settled down. I'm going to go bump some poor guy pretty soon, but some other guy with more seniority than me might be looking to bump me. It's kind of like s**t rolling downhill - and I'm closer to the bottom of the hill than I am to the top...:rolleyes:

Gave up on the live trap. Opened the window and let the squirrel out. He ate pieces out of the wooden venetian blinds. Couldn't believe he chose those over the food in the trap and the beer making grains stored in the room.
Got the bedroom cleaned out, husband's been living in there 24/7 since surgery. Went to a kindergarden graduation party at a restaurant. They rented the place for it.

Cleaned my SUV's interior with wipes.. Also did the windshield inside the side glass and the Hatch glass inside and out.
Wiped some Armorall on the exterior trim to "newen up" the look of the SUV.. worked great at some trim (bumper covers, side mirrors) and not at all on other trim (plastic door trim.
It dindt get a real wash because rain is expected on and off next couple of days.
Also put in a new air freshener.. Left the engine bay alone because I had just wiped that clean on Tuesday.

Started off the day with myself putting on a load of washing in the washing machine while DH removed our second grey water hose off the neighbour's one to water our fruit trees with as unfortunately they are selling the property next door. Once the load was finished I hung it on the clothesline to dry while DH used the grey water from the washing machine and the rest of the bath water to water the canna lilies at the side of the house.

We finally found the horrendous smell in the house that we thought was coming from a dead roo on the road but no it was coming from a slowly decomposing mouse that our cat Tabatha had killed and brought in as a present for DH and placed it on a notebook on his lounge side table :eek: . After he dispatched that I sprinkled the mat and corner with bicarb and the horrendous smell is gone :D. DH then vacuumed the carpets and rug with bicarb on it and swept the floors upstairs. He also cleaned the kitchen bin out and we emptied the recycling and normal bins into the wheelie bins.

We then studied our scripture lessons for the week together and then I watered the neighbour's gardens and picked two watermelons and a rockmelon that was ripe as the neighbour said we could pick anything that was ripe.

Still to do tonight will be to fold up a load of washing and the sheets we popped in the dryer to dry for a little while the other night.

Tonight's dinner tonight is sausages, mushrooms and baked beans on noodles.

Last edited:
Today so far, have done dishes twice
Threw away several pieces of furniture I had despised since someone gave it to me.
Took all the plants outside so I could rearrange furniture in living room.
The living room feels more open.
Rearranged the grand daughters toys, she'll have to look for them now.
They're still in living room, but basket of toys are now under chair.
Cleaned out around her rocking chair too.
Made more space there too.
Will have to figure out what to do with her books but that can wait for another day.
Strawberry can now look out the window without looking through jungle of plants.
All the plants are outside for the moment.
Vacuumed all the leaves I could find.
Vacuumed around the baseboard heater, baseboards, threshold of outside door.
Still got a bit of dusting to do, clean the one window that Strawberry can reach, we have nose prints on it I think.
Started pulling things out of the closet in second bedroom/Strawberry's room/ sewing room.
Clearing the clutter out of there too.
Deep cleaned the bathroom.
Have to steam mop the floor that's the only thing left there to do.
Sorted laundry again, will be taking it to the laundry mat tomorrow.
Made a primarily list on what I will be taking to new apartment.
Will be getting rid of quite bit of furniture, craft books, plant books, children's books.
Singer Serger, fabric, yarn, crafts haven't worked with in over a year.
Have class tomorrow still have to read my 3 chapters.

Latest posts

Back