What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be doing battery bank maintenance today.

Not my favorite pastime.

Boring.

But gotta be done.
Check fluid levels, check all connections .
Smart charger on grid ....solar charged off grid.

8 , 6 volt , @ 230 amp/hr each.
Approx 960 amp hrs of power.
100_5760.JPG

Jim

Already have Pumpkin Applesauce in the crockpot this morning. Looked a local grocery ads--nothing there. Ordered flea meds off eBay for pups. Printed off user manual for the new $20 air fryer I got yesterday and a few recipes. Will be making buffalo drumsticks today! Will be doing some eBay photos and cutting down the okra when it clears up and the sun comes out a bit and take my walk. Slow-ish day today. Yay!

Got home from a work week in Wisconsin and...the furnace is out. Wouldn't kick on when I turned the thermostat up. So, now I'm waiting for the HVAC guy to show up...
Repair guy was there and gone before I knew it. Ha, didn't even send a text telling me what was wrong, but the furnace is working so everything's good...

If it is a combustion furnace the igniter arc adjustment is a common problem. If it burns natural gas then it might have been the vacuum switch which determines if there is a pressure differential in the firebox before turning on the gas or igniter. (I have diagnosed and repaired oil and natural gas furnaces of my own)
I have no familiarity with electric furnaces so if it is an electric furnace I am no help.

Wow, wish I could get a repairman out here that fast. Washer broke. Dryer is broke, too, but don't really care about that. Call the repair guy husband said to. He went out of business. Checked with Lowes, and they have an affordable one. 2 Weeks delivery. Ha Ha Ha. I'm driving the big old truck (the one with the stuck window) down there in a few minutes and get one. Granddaughter and I can manage it when she gets home from school. She's stronger than her twin brother.
Finished the grocery shopping this morning. A few sales. Quaker oatmeal boxed pkts $1.49, I had a bunch of 50 cents off coupons. $4.97 for NY strip steak. Looking for ham deals but not seeing any. Have one in the freezer. Had thick cut of bacon advertised $6 for 2 lbs, but were out already. Ended up buying a 2 lb package for $11 at a different store. Pork prices are expected to go way up. Potatoes were not bad...5# bag for $2.49, get a second bag free. Got 5 $1 bags of bell peppers and hot peppers for the dehydrator. Their stale bread bags of different rolls and things went up from 79 cents to 99 cents a bag. Usually buy these for my animals. Krogers was stocked fairly well today, but their prices went up.

@Spikedriver Glad you now have toasty toes:) That was quick!
@Amish Heart Do you have Grocery Outlet down there? You have to watch, but Daily's bacon (IMO about the best:) thick sliced, 3# for 9.99 which is about half what it would be in regular grocery stores. They don't always have it, but I stock up when they do.
@phideaux Might not be exciting, but how comforting to know you've got power regardless of circumstances.

Don't have that store here, but might look at restaurant supply store next time I'm downtime. We love Wright's bacon that Sams sells, but boy is it pricey.
Went to Lowes and got a washer. Son and granddaughter brought it in, put the old one in the front yard with a free sign. Someone will pick it up. Dehydrator refilled with hot peppers.

I have been having major problems with my internet modem so I called and they sent me a refurbished one for a replacement. The new one would not work at all. Spent 2 hours on the phone and they still could not get to work. I am back to using the crappy old one.
On the good side I went for a long hike today (alone, my wife stayed home to do some cleaning). It was a great hike at new spot.

7 hours and counting... leaving for the big hospital to have an outpatient procedure tomorrow. Why is always so early in the morning? So they won't be late for lunch even if they screw up? :rolleyes:

Have to put me to sleep this time... At least I'll catch up on the sleep I'll lose tonight. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Bracing myself for a hellish day of driving.
My pain levels are already pretty high on top of very little sleep.
Can't take pain meds because you just don't take them then get behind the wheel.
Many hours afterwards you are still impaired.
I refuse to do it.
Also today is grocery day but luckliy the small town I'm buying the pullets in also has
a Woolworths so I will be able to shop there before I pick up the pullets and the gp's.

Fuel has jumped up to 1.38 per liter so this exercise to day of buying pullets, gps and fuel is going to have me over $200 out of pocket before
I even buy groceries.

And people say there's no Inflation while they hemorrhaging money out of their wallets.
Fools.

Sorry about the pain, Tank, but good you're getting the birds and furry guys.
Got the big old pickup truck back, now with a window that will go up. Set me back $400.
Husband said he was just loving the heated seats in the morning in my Challenger.
Can't wait to get my car back. Finished cleaning the atrium. I have racks of fodder for the animals growing in there, and they weren't doing too well. I inspected them closely, and it appears a mouse or two have been eating it. So now that room has traps all over the place. Replanted fodder.

We're on the back side of that weather front that went north so the winds have been howling all night and all day today
Had a tree come down across the dirt lane and hubby moved it enough this morning to get by and go to work.
I moved it off the lane today.
Wind snapped one of the ropes to one of the flags so I had to go and pick that up before the pups got to it
Pups killed another opossum last night so I had to get that away from them and throw it away. They skinned it pretty good. I still don't know why they do that to the things they kill. Its like they're torturing them to get information from them or something lol
Got some laundry done
Started to straighten up my closet that the gremlins seem to enjoy messing up all the time. Have to finish that yet. Have to move the warm weather clothes down to the bottom shelf and the cold weather clothes up to eye level
Made supper so now I'm lurking on the net lol

Got at least one break today. The carb guy had left a message on my home phone. Now, I had supplied all the parts, plugs/wires, distributor cap and coil and a few other items…

Anyway, he finished all the work plus corrected several minor issues including timing and vacuum advance. He went over the carburetor with a fine-tooth comb, everything is now working perfectly, did not need to be rebuilt.

The box of parts in the truck had all the original springs for the carburetor linkage. I was never happy with the way I had it set up. He corrected all the linkage issues as well. Grand total on all his work - $110, now that was a bargain!

I’ll pick it up tomorrow afternoon and fingers crossed it will run another 15 months when I’ll be buying a new truck.

Got at least one break today. The carb guy had left a message on my home phone. Now, I had supplied all the parts, plugs/wires, distributor cap and coil and a few other items…

Anyway, he finished all the work plus corrected several minor issues including timing and vacuum advance. He went over the carburetor with a fine-tooth comb, everything is now working perfectly, did not need to be rebuilt.

The box of parts in the truck had all the original springs for the carburetor linkage. I was never happy with the way I had it set up. He corrected all the linkage issues as well. Grand total on all his work - $110, now that was a bargain!

I’ll pick it up tomorrow afternoon and fingers crossed it will run another 15 months when I’ll be buying a new truck.

All that for $110..

You ain't gonna give him a big tip ...huh?

I would...cause I'm a nice guy.
:coffee::dancing:

Jim

Well I found my problem.
I had this about 2 years..
They want me to send it back to mfg with a check for 45% of msrp, and I pay shipping.
View attachment 26912

This is the second one of NOCO products that crapped out in 2 years. Warranty sucks.

So I'll be looking at another brand smart charger.

Jim

I'll cross that brand off any possible purchases in the future.

Had a decent week at work. Found out there is funding available for at least 1/2 of another tech. Gotta come up with funding for the other half, which I think is there. Just gotta show it. It'd be nice to have one more person that's talented. I've gpot a good crew, but some areas that I have zero back up for. One of them is the comms for the lab. Guy we I have is good and experienced. And I've got him on board to train someone else. My youngest tech is probably the best I have and supper quick study at anything I've gave him. Hopefully he can learn comms as well.

Yesterday was a long day and we started off with driving to town and went to the hardware store to pick up some more shelving units for the food storage room and yes they were in stock, but no we couldn't have them as they were on pallets in the loading bay, grrr. So we purchased some needed electrical tape and some more smaller extension leads we needed. Then off to the shopping centre where we went to the discount variety shop and picked up 4 baking trays for the oven and some clothes brushes, goodness knows where DH put the last one :rolleyes:. I figure with 2 I have more of a chance of finding 1 at least when I need it. Next stop was the produce store where we purchased a bundle of 6' star pickets and some garden lime.

Then to the doctors for them to check my hormone/medication levels and they are all fine but the antibody levels are way up high but they said they will come down over time which is good news. DH's turn next to get the results from his upper back x-ray and he has scholiosis of the spine and osteoarthritis of the neck with visible muscle spasms that they saw. Yes I saw the curvature in his spine and the unusual way his head was tilted that is why I suggested getting him tested. They think it was from load bearing carrying his military packs from the age of 17. We have a referral to a orthopedic surgeon to see what they can do about it and his physiotherapist now has a better idea of what is going on and can give him stretching exercises etc to do.

Next stop was the optometrist where both of us had the same vision and I ordered another set of glasses which were free under my pension for 1 pair a year and bought another reading pair for DH as he stood on his.

Finally we stopped off and had a kebab each with the whole trip and food paid by DVA. Back home where we unpacked everything. Then our local supermarket was having a $15 off $16o purchase on online orders so I put in a fortnightly order and combining specials, gift card 5% off and the $15 off promotion brought our normal bill down from $161.70 down to $97.57 and got to say my best effort yet :) .

This morning so far I helped DH strip the bed and gave him the towels and he loaded the machine has stain removed some clothing, put on a load of washing and hung it on the clothes line to dry and is having a nap. While he is doing that I will deep clean the 2 bathrooms and toilet.

Last edited:
Today was EXPENSIVE.

SIGH

Got a $444 fine for speeding and one of the pullets died on then on the way home in spite of being in a well ventilated crate and my air con was on full.
The police officer said my license plates need replacing and let me off with a warning in stead of slapping me with a $100 fine so small blessings there.

I think I'll just stay on the couch for the month and not go anywhere.

Latest posts

Back