What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catching up.

Survived the girls and only had to seperate them once. The eldest got a little impatient while dying eggs while I supervised the process. She wanted to follow the instructions heself saying "I'm friggin 12!". Any time I had to remind her to do something right I aded "after all you are friggin 12". She will not live that down until she is "friggin 13".

After their departure I thinned out some garlic that didn't get harvested last year. I was surprised that there were 55 in the end. Then I sat back and enjoyed more Atlas Shrugged audio book.

For you Ayn Rand fans.

Fast forward to;

4:54:32 Francisco arrives at Jim Taggert wedding
5:12:00 The money is not the root of all evil speach

For those wondering what is happening to the US keep listening. Ayn Rand called it.

Today we got the backdoor installed.

View attachment 61682

View attachment 61685

View attachment 61686

Tomorrow it gets a step.

Behave!

Ben

Got carried away,lol, so forgot to say how good yall seem to be coming along with your project .:thumbs:

Thanks @Meerkat .

But if you liked the movies the book is easily 10 as good.

Ben

Ben I totally agree with the book being so much better. But since my eyes got highjacked don't read as much. I could listen to the book I guess,but we got the idea aand some entertainment out here in ruralville. :).

Reactions: Neb
Ug! I was thinking it would be like an audio book - might just stick to having the book on the list.
Mayb I was confusing.

The YouTube link i shared was part 3 of 8 of the book being read. In total it is more than 32 hours.

There were also movies based on the book. The first movie was well done but ended about 1/4 of the way through the story. The sequel left a lot out and tried to turn it into an action adventure.

Ayn Rand's wtitting style allowed readers (listeners) to explore the thoughts of the characters. The movies just couldn't convey those thoughts.

Ben

I actually did this yesterday, I helped my grandparents with yard work. Beautiful weather right now. They moved to a new neighborhood and are using rocks dug up during construction for added landscaping. They were very pleased with our progress. They are like my parents 😊

Amazing model train set by the way, Ben!

View attachment 61622

Looks good Lucky. :great:

Ben I totally agree with the book being so much better. But since my eyes got highjacked don't read as much. I could listen to the book I guess,but we got the idea aand some entertainment out here in ruralville. :).
And so the YouTube audio book.

Ayn Rand wrote about many of the issues and concerns I have read have had recently.

"What happened to the US?"

She explained it before it happened.

Ben

Mayb I was confusing.

The YouTube link i shared was part 3 of 8 of the book being read. In total it is more than 32 hours.

There were also movies based on the book. The first movie was well done but ended about 1/4 of the way through the story. The sequel left a lot out and tried to turn it into an action adventure.

Ayn Rand's wtitting style allowed readers (listeners) to explore the thoughts of the characters. The movies just couldn't convey those thoughts.

Ben
Ah! Good - will be listening. Internet in the evening isn't as strong and usually can't listen if Hubby is talking etc. Evenings are when we get to chat and catch up so will do in short stints in mornings or misc. time.

Ah! Good - will be listening. Internet in the evening isn't as strong and usually can't listen if Hubby is talking etc. Evenings are when we get to chat and catch up so will do in short stints in mornings or misc. time.

LadyL hubby has tinitis so we listen to radio at night so he can get to sleep with ringing in his ears.
We use to rent audio books to listen to at library,but maybe you could see if you can get one online. I looked for you but all I saw was online listening,but we always used our on CD player. Maybe somebosy here knows a place online to buy actual CD we can play without wen service.

Gotta get the Zero turn out and ready for mowing.

Grandson coming over after school to do some work around the farm for me.

He makes a few bucks and saves my old body.

Probably Subway for late lunch.

Wife is still trying to find strawberry plants , TSC none.

Y'all better be safe today.

Jim
When I was at Wal*Mart this morning.
They had pallet full at the front checkouts, few in garden center.

Dishes are done.
Groceries are picked up.
They are also put away.
Been learning new things about the knitting machine.
Wahoo!
I think I will enjoy it sooner than later.
Now that I understand some more things about it.
Ben, if your sister wants a copy of manual for Brother KH230.
I'll make copies and send it to you.
Bingo is opening back up tonight.
So maybe date night will be back in my future.
But not tonight, too tired.
Urban,
I had to bring my plants back inside today.
Kinda chilly,rainy right now.
Might rain being there is an 100% chance of it.
Have Post -Op appointment at the VA tomorrow.
Lordy, I hope it won't be long drawn out thing.
Stay dry.

Not where we live, here people don't pull guns unless they are going to use it. Yo umust have lived in Jax or Miami?
Of course saying this may be a bad omen.:)

Orlando....enough said...

Well, put in a 12 hour work day today. Had 3 more goat kids, one had problems. He was covered in a lot of goo, and mom , or me :( didn't clean his face off fast enough and he seemed to have problems breathing for a while. He's really big too, but seems ok now. Legs are wobbly but I saw him nursing. Cleaned out freezer to make room for some new meat , going to take some animals to the meat processor tomorrow. Found some 2 year old stuff on the very bottom I cooked for the dogs. They love it of course. Dosed all dogs with flee and tick medicine after finding the first huge tick on one of them. Ticks are bad here in the spring. Did laundry washing the bloody and goo covered goat towels and my clothes. Plus the usual chores. Oh, and I made pizza for lunch.

Sometimes I think people here are trying to compete with Florida. LOL. But yeah, that woman had no business having a gun. She claimed she pulled her gun like she "was trained to do". I don't know who trained her to pull a gun on unarmed people & wave a gun around (if anyone actually trained her). I suspected she was lying. I was trained to use a gun from a young age and I knew you don't point one at people unless you intend to shoot them-- and you certainly don't just wave it around in the air where it can point at children and other innocent bystanders.

Computer's clock got messed up so it said it was 7 when it was 6 so I could not get to sleep at all thinking I had to get up soon. Took my brother for an 8am dental appointment- left early bc it was pouring rain & I knew roads would be bad. Took over an hour for them to assess & clean his teeth. They gave him a little dental hygiene pack with coupons for stuff. Took him to get his bloodwork after & popped in to get mail then back to pick him up. Got to Burger Inn just as it was opening up & we were the first ones in. Had to wait about 5min on the fried chicken but it was worth it. Not sure if it's from my meds or from being lachrymose but I couldn't eat much. The doctor did say I'd crave carbs less on the new meds, but I don't know if that extends to food in general.

Went for a walk outside but sinuses regretted it. Pollen was murdering them & I'm out of RX allergy meds. Pharmacy mistakenly filled the Levothyroxin instead of the Levocetirizine (I didn't put in the refill request, they did it automatically somehow). I wasn't low on the thyroid ones as I'd recently filled it, but I have an extra month now so that's fine. I brought one of those things with wheels you roll on the ground to measure distance- mapped out the 20x20 area for the barn. It will need leveling. And there was garbage & broken concrete blocks in the way so I had to move it farther north. Upside is I have what looks like a working power hookup less than 50' away.

Washing the pets' blankets and bedding. With 2 dirty play hard dogs and several cats that are shedding there is a lot of fur and dirt on their bedding. Yuck.

Our new bed frame arrived today. It gives us 4 extra inches under the bed so we can fit twice the food storage under there. Our current frame can be split in to two twin frames and we plan to use those for the girls once they outgrow jumping on the beds. They have damaged their current frames from jumping on the beds.

I got the girls to add a bunch of old toys to the donate box so we can cut the junk we move down. I told them we would set up a new box for donations every month and they needed to add 5 stuffed animals to each box. I made a trade with Juju to donate her old baby doll furniture (which she hasn't used in over a year) for the indoor play tent. She wanted the tent and was okay donating the baby doll furniture. 3 pieces down many more to go!

Built a stoop.

20210323_153830.jpg

Yes that is a pile of 16 pallets left over from the concrete.

20210323_153838.jpg

Streamed more Atlas Shrugged.

We may be working on the gas line tomorrow.

Ben

There is a potential strike set to take place on April 2nd if sides don't settle. If that happens I get to start doing all the work my crew does, Envirnmental monitoring Air and water, Radios, 911 center, and assorted other stuff. Due to the peckerhead in the office next to mine taking better part of 3 months off, I'll also be working at the steam plant. Never even seen much stuff there. Anyway I took the 1st of three fall protection classes today, got another one Friday. All this so I can start climbing stacks. YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!
Not sure how I'll be splitting my time to replace 9 different techs. Likely not much time around the house. Did I mention I hope they don't strike?

Ben, I like that the steps are nice and long.
I'm about to eat dinner. Not really hungry but I know I need to eat.
Predicate is curled up on my arm. He was on my shoulder purring in my ear earlier.
I saw the FedEx truck leaving the yard so I'm about to see what got dropped off. Hope its the earth auger for digging holes for posts. Mom surprised me by ordering me some leatherworking supplies. Got a case with a bunch of stuff and I don't even know what half of it does. LOL. Gonna have to post on dieselpunk site and ask Tony & the gang.

We've been so busy with lots of company, haven't had time for much, but having fun. My husband said we had to pick up a large surprise yesterday about 45 minutes ago, and I guessed it was a farm animal. Turned out to be our youngest daughter in from Tucson! How they kept it secret, I don't know. Took sis to airport this morning and then went to my favorite cousin's house for bday brunch. Took daughter shopping in our little town, and just got back from dinner. Have some peanut butter cream cheese pie with my name on it.

There is a potential strike set to take place on April 2nd if sides don't settle. If that happens I get to start doing all the work my crew does, Envirnmental monitoring Air and water, Radios, 911 center, and assorted other stuff. Due to the peckerhead in the office next to mine taking better part of 3 months off, I'll also be working at the steam plant. Never even seen much stuff there. Anyway I took the 1st of three fall protection classes today, got another one Friday. All this so I can start climbing stacks. YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!
Not sure how I'll be splitting my time to replace 9 different techs. Likely not much time around the house. Did I mention I hope they don't strike?

Boy thats alot of stuff to do.Be careful.

Dishes are done.
Groceries are picked up.
They are also put away.
Been learning new things about the knitting machine.
Wahoo!
I think I will enjoy it sooner than later.
Now that I understand some more things about it.
Ben, if your sister wants a copy of manual for Brother KH230.
I'll make copies and send it to you.
Bingo is opening back up tonight.
So maybe date night will be back in my future.
But not tonight, too tired.
Urban,
I had to bring my plants back inside today.
Kinda chilly,rainy right now.
Might rain being there is an 100% chance of it.
Have Post -Op appointment at the VA tomorrow.
Lordy, I hope it won't be long drawn out thing.
Stay dry.
Bingo! Wahoo! Good to see you Mo. I figured you've been busy and recovering. Glad the knitting machine is working out. I need to find someone who speaks knitting so I can figure out how to make a heel on my socks.
We've been so busy with lots of company, haven't had time for much, but having fun. My husband said we had to pick up a large surprise yesterday about 45 minutes ago, and I guessed it was a farm animal. Turned out to be our youngest daughter in from Tucson! How they kept it secret, I don't know. Took sis to airport this morning and then went to my favorite cousin's house for bday brunch. Took daughter shopping in our little town, and just got back from dinner. Have some peanut butter cream cheese pie with my name on it.
Sweet! What a wonderful surprise 💗 Enjoy your time.

Went up the mountain yesterday, think I mentioned that. But forgot to mention I saw the elk! The heard is looking better as far as numbers this year. Still nothing to what it used to be, but the last 2 years have been hardly any. I know neighboring states have made it legal to kill wolves, and I think in Oregon there are at least some instances when it's okay. F&G doesn't like to say how many wolves there really are. Deer population numbers are still in the tank, but bluetongue has played a roll in that.
Today was gorgeous but chilly as still snow on the mountains all around. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain so the yard/garden will be happy.

Prepared an area to have a 20 foot storage container delivered tomorrow, large wall stones with road base gravel/dirt packed around them on the downhill end, patio stones on the uphill side so that was a lot of manual labor. Put a good tire on the old Avalanche to move it but the battery is so dead it would take a jump start from my diesel truck, or from the battery charger set to engine start. First thing tomorrow I will connect the charger for a couple hours and see if she will fire up. I need to move it to where I can easily work on it but I am not heading to town for a while so a new battery will have to wait.
Worked on the fence for the pending horse coral. Shivered and sweated, depending on the suns position in relation to the passing snow clouds.

Went up the mountain yesterday, think I mentioned that. But forgot to mention I saw the elk! The heard is looking better as far as numbers this year. Still nothing to what it used to be, but the last 2 years have been hardly any. I know neighboring states have made it legal to kill wolves, and I think in Oregon there are at least some instances when it's okay. F&G doesn't like to say how many wolves there really are. Deer population numbers are still in the tank, but bluetongue has played a roll in that.
Today was gorgeous but chilly as still snow on the mountains all around. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain so the yard/garden will be happy.
Sorry to hear about the pressure on the big game, the deer in my area got hit hard this year. I am planning to volunteer to do some wildlife surveys over the next couple of months, but our harvest numbers here this year were the worst in over 20 years....

Yesterday was a nice day for the most part. The wife's home health care nurse had some issues, they over tightened the needless connection on her central port and couldn't change the line - not a good thing. I was able to get the connection free (after cleaning tools, dawning gear like I was going into a bio-containment ward), I suggested that in the future they slow down, let the alcohol dry before connecting the new line and reminded them that if they break that fitting the wife will be having to go back into surgery.... I think they all heard me this time....

The wife has been offering some of my "extra" plants to her friends, she doesn't know what I have but she is offering to give it away.....

The plants that I moved outside are all doing well, one of the cabbages is now showing a tennis-ball sized head. I harvested some spinach and lettuce (about 3 gallons), some of the lettuce I used as starter sets over the winter bolted (I didn't open the lid to the raised bed in time and it over heated).

There is a big Robbin that seems to wait for me to come outside, it will fly to within about 3 feet of where I am working, then it flys down to a place where water collects in a little plastic bath the I made, that bird seems to try to splash me, then sits up on the eve of the house drying off. I really enjoy how pleasant it is working in the garden.

Today it is raining softly, when the sun comes up I will open the raised bed tops to give the plants a drink.

Proud your trying LazyL but you are so outnumbered. Stay safe in that snake pit.:thumbs:
Well...February's meeting a policy was proposed that I believed was unConstitutional. Total of five Board members. One Board member agreed with me, that's 2 out of five. Third member was hesitate, fourth disagreed with me and the fifth wasn't present. Board Attorney said was up to the Board. No vote majority so the Policy was table. The next day I provided our Board Attorney proposed wording that replaced the illegal (IMHO) wording .

Two days before March's meeting the Board member that had disagreed with me gave us Their updated version. More restrictive than the original version (and more unConstitutional, again IMHO). Policy was adopted with a 4 to 1 majority with the unConstitutional wording replace with the wording I had proposed.

Could be my one and only "win" during my four year term...and it might not be. Time will tell.

And you will juggle so well that senior management will decide to let you continue to do the work of XX. When you ask for increase wages they will offer you a fancy sounding job title instead with a quickly forgotten promise of more money down the road.

Latest posts

Back