What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me an the boy got up this morning and hit the hot tub before daybreak got dressed warm and went trout fishing it was 9 degrees and I guess the fish had lock jaw. Came home and loaded a little trailer full wood and backed it up to the front porch we are ready for the winter storm and sub zero weather.

7C794FAD-26DB-4441-8ED8-4B4D5D9C5DEB.jpeg
5F26B79A-A8B5-4C37-9063-11EF0FEF851D.jpeg

Went to the city Sunday to take the kid to Dr's apts and got back Thurs night and slept most of Friday. Forgot my phone and tablet! Got home to find out the kids old dog had passed. Hubby has been here dealing with 2 upset dogs and knowing how the kid was going to react.

Last edited:
Temps haven't been severe like the rest of you... highs around 38, lows around 28, drizzling or misting rain, a damp cold that chills to the bone.

The only thing I did today was fill the feeders in the chicken pen. Finally starting to get eggs again, 3 a day. They stopped laying before Christmas. I only got 4 eggs in all the weeks until 09feb when 3 hens started laying again.

I needed to go to town today but put it off until tomorrow, oh well.

Someday this week we're going to the Driv In Theatre, been about 2 years since we went ,its a couple hours drive but worth it to get out .We really enjoyed the last time .To see the one we went to go to my thread Now For Some Good News',POST #10

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/now-for-some-good-news-stories.12229/
In the middle of last year, the Wal-Mart store in Grants Pass had a drive in movie, I guess that they felt bad for everyone having to stay out of restaurants and other gathering places, whatever drive in movie theatres we had around here in southern Oregon are all gone, I wonder if the new huge flat screens and DVD's have lead to their end.

Tonight is "Virtual Dinner" day between my wife, visiting sister, and myself in Colorado and my daughter and her husband in Hawaii. We have a table set up in front of the couch so we can view their video feed on the big screen TV while eating (we're using a Zoom video conference). And they have the same setup in Hawaii. Took me about an hour this afternoon to get the cameras, microphone, lights, speakers and screen casting to the big TV all set up and working on my end!

It's -1 with dull gray cloudy skies here in Colorado. 78 and sunny in Hawaii. Menu in Colorado will be Shepherd's Pie - in the oven now. In Hawaii I'm not sure what's on the menu. Probably Kampachi (high end fish that my daughter raises at her job) and exotic vegetables and fruit from the Farmers Market - their normal fare.

I am sooooo looking forward to this! :D

Slept late trying to catch up from our trip. Went out and pruned 2 of my blueberries. Watched a couple you tube vid's on it. PLants are looking thin now, but opened up to let more light in. Hope it improves their blooming.
Also got my cross bow out and shot a few times at my target. Wife wanted to see it in action

Tonight is "Virtual Dinner" day...
This went so well I just had to report back. We've had plenty of Zoom calls in the past, but the virtual dinner table killed them all! I think it was probably the viewing on the large screen TV that made it so nice. We were seeing the kids lifesize rather than on a small tablet or a computer screen.

Anyway, WELL worth the trouble of setting everything up!!! It wasn't that much trouble really. To make things more natural feeling, I had the controlling computer off to one side, and a separate USB corded webcam on a small stand in front of us (as opposed to using the webcam built into the computer monitor). That way the computer was not blocking our view of the TV screen. The USB corded webcam is itsy-bitsy.

Daughter had a lot of friends who became vegans right out of h.s. She had lots of pressure to become one as well. She tried and I tried to support her. I would buy something that I thought was vegan after reading the ingredients 3 times, and come home and find out it was not vegan. One day I was looking at the blood type diet and printed out information that I left out to look at again the next day. She read it and realized that type O blood types need animal protein. She stopped trying to be a vegan immediately and began to have more energy as well. This was before she had her celiac diagnosis, and she was eating lots of bread and pasta. It was really not good for her.
Breads and pasta are starches that turn to sugars which get in your blood stream and raise blood sugar, that, that is not used converts into fat as well as causing low blood sugar to start with and if you keep messing around with blood sugar it could end up causing diabetes. My wife is type O and if she doesn't get enough animal protein, she gets sick to the stomach. We have both of the blood type diet books, "Eat Right For Your Type" and "Live Right For Your Type", both are very good reference books for gaining better health.

Sunshine, dry and +10° C (50°F) and I am smoking the 25 kilos of sausage we butchered and stuffed yesterday. Will be very busy for the next 3 days keeping the coals and smoke going...just fill the last spaces in the freezers with steaklets, spare ribs, soup bones, assorted meat pieces, filled both of the 2 gallon lard containers and gave another half a gallon to the widow down the street plus some bacon. Sitting in front of the smoke house, staying warm with some hot tea and moonshine...I am a happy man...GP

I have weather envy, Gary.
Happy Valentines Day, everyone! Be kind to your sweeties. Not sure what today holds except going outside every couple of hours to deal with animals. Lots of frozen water today. Not sure if we'll make it to cousins for dinner tonight, we have a low of negative 11. Have seen a few buggies out the window on the way to church, and hope they have heaters.

We have ice on the drives, I used the last of my salt to treat the walkway to the door...

Last night I made drawings of my garden plan and planted a few starter seeds, 100 tomatoes and 100 bush beans, I also have some squash, and peppers started. Now my trays are all fully occupied ;)

This morning fixed some bacon and eggs, figured I'd skip my oatmeal...

Breads and pasta are starches that turn to sugars which get in your blood stream and raise blood sugar, that, that is not used converts into fat as well as causing low blood sugar to start with and if you keep messing around with blood sugar it could end up causing diabetes. My wife is type O and if she doesn't get enough animal protein, she gets sick to the stomach. We have both of the blood type diet books, "Eat Right For Your Type" and "Live Right For Your Type", both are very good reference books for gaining better health.
I have those books, but I think they are going to go in my 2021 things to get rid of in 2021. I am Blood type B-, a fairly rare blood type. It says to avoid poultry. I have gone through periods of time where I had no interest in eating chicken, and leftover turkey is just nasty tasting to me sometimes.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Spike, that's wonderful news.
Strawberry is sleeping on my lap.
She'll have to get up in a bit, because I'll need another cup of coffee.
Still cold.
Had a little visitor yesterday bearing gifts: dozen yellow roses, heart shaped box of chocolates.
We had good visit.
She "helped" Granny with the knitting machine.
I will adjust her helping today in a bit.
The lady who gifted me the knitting machine found a box of accessories.
While I am excited about that.
I am over the moon delighted she also found the manual and instruction set up guide in color.
Just resting from grand daughter's visit.
Watching it snow again, or still.
Doesn't change the fact it's snowing and bitter a*$$ cold.
Am trying to type this without my glasses.
I think I might have gotten my typo's.
Stay dry, warm,safe.

Me and the boy took a little circle around the place it was 6 degrees we were hoping we might jump a rabbit or something. We didn’t even see a track. Guess everything was holed up. I hadn’t seen the big pond froze over in a few years it is froze deep today. We have a good spring that I’ve never seen not running we cleaned it out a few years ago and we need to do it again and get a pipe in it and a tank there.
B8A97701-E4EC-4122-AC95-311B160CBB66.jpeg
76DDC9D3-2247-4BEE-A047-93FD69FAEBE7.jpeg
C7468454-51C4-41D8-B711-1C1443C076A1.jpeg
49D2805A-9934-4B4E-B6FD-3D0D8B9B8798.jpeg

Me and the boy took a little circle around the place it was 6 degrees we were hoping we might jump a rabbit or something. We didn’t even see a track. Guess everything was holed up. I hadn’t seen the big pond froze over in a few years it is froze deep today. We have a good spring that I’ve never seen not running we cleaned it out a few years ago and we need to do it again and get a pipe in it and a tank there. View attachment 59218View attachment 59219View attachment 59220View attachment 59221
@hashbrown what's the rifle on the left? I like it...

Yesterday K and I moved our food stores and started an inventory. I have several boxes of Augason Farms pantry sized cans that expire in a few years. They no longer make the pantry sized cans and half of the food they no longer sell! I may have to switch to Thrive foods to replace some of the food. We have not moved all of it or inventoried it all yet but we got the bulk of it done. I need more shelves and cabinets for it all!

Trying to stay on top of everything.

Tax returns were accepted and we should get our refunds in the next week.

Watched Run Hide Fight and liked it! Very good movie. I am wondering if it will be released on DVD. It is worth having a copy of. Just doing our part to support conservative media/entertainment.

Have prepared for 8 to 12 inches of global warming over the next few days. My internet/TV went out yesterday and was hoping the tech that came out today would get it fixed. Nope, break in the line (underground). Have to wait on the ‘line guys’. With the snow coming it puts a cramp in my style! Who knows how long that will take?!! I can hotspot off of my phone but it’s one device at a time. ☹️ Hooked up the antenna for OTA stations.

I have those books, but I think they are going to go in my 2021 things to get rid of in 2021. I am Blood type B-, a fairly rare blood type. It says to avoid poultry. I have gone through periods of time where I had no interest in eating chicken, and leftover turkey is just nasty tasting to me sometimes.
That's my blood type as well, yeah it's pretty rare, blood drive people tend to be happy to see us. We don't eat as much chicken as we used to however, I don't think it's all bad if we have in once and a while, same with pizza and a few other no, no's. It's nice to have deer, elk and cod, halibut as well as other good tasting fish that are neutral or beneficial, cheeses are very limited.

For all of you that are catching weather hell to the east of us, I'm sorry that the jet streams didn't drop enough snow out here to reduce the amount that past over to you. So far we haven't gotten any snow, however it rained last night but that's stopped for now.

Have prepared for 8 to 12 inches of global warming over the next few days. My internet/TV went out yesterday and was hoping the tech that came out today would get it fixed. Nope, break in the line (underground). Have to wait on the ‘line guys’. With the snow coming it puts a cramp in my style! Who knows how long that will take?!! I can hotspot off of my phone but it’s one device at a time. ☹ Hooked up the antenna for OTA stations.
We had that happen a few years ago under our asphalt lane. It only took them a few minutes for them to do it,but it was warm weather,not winter with snow. Good luck,I know how frustrating it is to have your internet down.

Went to my cousin's for dinner...2 degrees out when we got there, negative 5 when we got home. Chickens are buttoned up tight, and the dogs in their kennels and 3 barn cats are all crashed out in the basement. Old man cat in the house on my lap. My cousin's daughter and her family were going to take Amtrak early morning to go to Florida to visit family, but Amtrak is cancelled until it warms up. No school tomorrow...started a new puzzle...Wizard of Oz 1000 piece with the kids. Between that, laundry, cooking, and dealing with the animals and their frozen water tomorrow, that'll be about it.

Yesterday K and I moved our food stores and started an inventory. I have several boxes of Augason Farms pantry sized cans that expire in a few years. They no longer make the pantry sized cans and half of the food they no longer sell! I may have to switch to Thrive foods to replace some of the food. We have not moved all of it or inventoried it all yet but we got the bulk of it done. I need more shelves and cabinets for it all!

Trying to stay on top of everything.

Tax returns were accepted and we should get our refunds in the next week.

Watched Run Hide Fight and liked it! Very good movie. I am wondering if it will be released on DVD. It is worth having a copy of. Just doing our part to support conservative media/entertainment.

We have quite a bit of the the Thrive stuff. Made green chile chicken enchiladas for dinner. Hubby said it was good, I'm not fond of the chiles.

Today I made a grocery store run, picked up some meat (chuck roast and pork tender loins) and fresh fruit. I did get the wife's favorite Ice-cream, she say's not to get it but when she gets upset or is not feeling well she really craves it..... I just can't let her down when she need a fix...

We were talking about the changing times, I don't know where it came from but the wife talks about there coming a day when good is as evil and evil is for good....

Then someone talked about pot being legal nation wide soon, I'm sad to say it will not be long. I am the only one in my family who didn't smoke, my baby sister preferred the organic stuff, I saw how pot smokers pull the smoke deep in their lungs.... When she died her lungs were full of black tar... Not pleasant thinking about slowly suffocating. In 10 to 20 years we will see the true results of all the liberal ways.... Like I said, I'm the only one who didn't smoke, I have outlived all my siblings and some of their kids. I have to wonder when we will stop killing ourselves with selfish choices...

Latest posts

Back