What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting here whining and snivelling to my lovely bride about how miserable I feel with this bug I am battling
sick.jpg
1517651840870_image.jpg

How do you make your dog food, we want to make ours but a couple of our dogs have allergies. And they are 10 y.o. The large dog is 17 going on 18 y.o. Vet can't believe it and he is the one who gave her to us. Old dog can eat ANYTHING.

I make it in a crockpot, actually 2 crockpots. I throw in raw cut up chicken and hamburger, add frozen peas and green beans, a can of kidney beans, a sliced sweet potato or two, a bag of baby carrots, a handful of brown rice and add plenty of chicken broth. Let it cook until it smell like dinner and then I pressure can it.

@The Innkeeper have you had a course of antibiotics for the cold that you have ? or tests done to find out what sort of bug it is ? . Hopefully the doctors can find some way to cure it for you.
no, there is a cold/flu bug running around that lasts about 10-14days. I will just let it run it’s course other than some symptomatic relief and rest.

My eldest granddaughter wanted to make a doll house today. Soooo, we made a doll house. She would measure and tell me how big of a board she wanted, and I would cut it and tack it together and she'd finish it off. For a nine year old I thought she did good. The important thing is, she felt she did good!
20180317_181102.jpg

Antibiotics do nothing for colds and flu. Antibiotics work on bacterial infections. Cold and flu are caused by viruses.

My eldest granddaughter wanted to make a doll house today. Soooo, we made a doll house. She would measure and tell me how big of a board she wanted, and I would cut it and tack it together and she'd finish it off. For a nine year old I thought she did good. The important thing is, she felt she did good!
View attachment 5444
@gumpy or should I say Grampy.? Way to go.

Last edited:
Innkeeper and Meerkat, I hope you both feel better quickly!

I stayed home from Church today as I woke up with a very sore throat. Gargled with peroxide and had some chicken broth for breakfast. Not doing much today, besides eBay.

Yesterday, I bought potting soil and top soil. The kid never showed up to put the cart together, so for now, the dirt is staying in the back of the jeep. Got some tomato starts (2 types), rosemary, sage, eggplants, and a Fooled you Pepper. Supposed to taste like jalapeno, but without the heat. DH isn't supposed to have much spicy any more.

Antibiotics do nothing for colds and flu. Antibiotics work on bacterial infections. Cold and flu are caused by viruses.

Very true, though there are some good (clinically tested) antiviral herbs that work well if started early against colds/flu.

This is year two of my "get serious about learning how to garden" regime and I started a bunch of herbals. Echinacea Angustifolia is one of them, if started at the first signs of cold/flu symptoms it has been proven to shorten the duration. Feverfew is also supposed to be very effective.

I have 18 little Echinacea Angustifolia transplants started from seed and waiting to be planted in 2 weeks. The flowers/leaves have antiviral properties (best fresh and tinctured in alcohol, the dried herbs oxidize and lose efficacy). I don't trust "airy fairy" herbal sites but there are a lot of clinical studies done on the popular herbs.

It is a native species and not easy to find seeds for. I ended up ordering some seeds from the U.K. and then found out the Federal Department of Agriculture actually hunts down folks that bought seeds from foreign countries on ebay and seizes the seeds or rips the plants out of your garden! Yes, for reals. It is to protect against invasive species which does make sense, and they don't contact everyone, but the risk is legit. So don't order seeds from foreign vendors.

I won't do it again. Though those "foreign" seeds didn't germinate for me...so I had to buy another batch of seeds from a US vendor who's name I can't recall.o_O

Last edited:
Innkeeper and Meerkat, I hope you both feel better quickly!

I stayed home from Church today as I woke up with a very sore throat. Gargled with peroxide and had some chicken broth for breakfast. Not doing much today, besides eBay.

Yesterday, I bought potting soil and top soil. The kid never showed up to put the cart together, so for now, the dirt is staying in the back of the jeep. Got some tomato starts (2 types), rosemary, sage, eggplants, and a Fooled you Pepper. Supposed to taste like jalapeno, but without the heat. DH isn't supposed to have much spicy any more.

Snappy, :Thankyou::heart:

Very true, though there are some good (clinically tested) antiviral herbs that work well if started early against colds/flu.

This is year two of my "get serious about learning how to garden" regime and I started a bunch of herbals. Echinacea Angustifolia is one of them, if started at the first signs of cold/flu symptoms it has been proven to shorten the duration. Feverfew is also supposed to be very effective.

I have 18 little Echinacea Angustifolia transplants started from seed and waiting to be planted in 2 weeks. The flowers/leaves have antiviral properties (best fresh and tinctured in alcohol, the dried herbs oxidize and lose efficacy). I don't trust "airy fairy" herbal sites but there are a lot of clinical studies done on the popular herbs.

It is a native species and not easy to find seeds for. I ended up ordering some seeds from the U.K. and then found out the Federal Department of Agriculture actually hunts down folks that bought seeds from foreign countries on ebay and seizes the seeds or rips the plants out of your garden! Yes, for reals. It is to protect against invasive species which does make sense, and they don't contact everyone, but the risk is legit. So don't order seeds from foreign vendors.

I won't do it again. Though those "foreign" seeds didn't germinate for me...so I had to buy another batch of seeds from a US vendor who's name I can't recall.o_O
You know I have noticed a lot of the American sights won't ship to foreign countries. I imagine that would be the same in reverse. I'm guessing you are absolutely correct about the invasive issue. You might think the FEDS would be decent about it but then again maybe not.......

You know I have noticed a lot of the American sights won't ship to foreign countries. I imagine that would be the same in reverse. I'm guessing you are absolutely correct about the invasive issue. You might think the FEDS would be decent about it but then again maybe not.......

I was told AFTER I ordered seeds about the Fed issue on a specialty garden forum. I looked up the law and it is legit and yes they DO hunt some folks down.

Even worse, some local library seed banks have been shut down by the feds to prevent "agro-terrorism". See here: http://cumberlink.com/news/local/co...cle_8b0323f4-18f6-11e4-b4c1-0019bb2963f4.html

While I fully understand the concerns over invasive species, agro-terrorism at local library seed banks is more than a bit insane. The feds can't follow up on flagged terrorists or lunatics that go on to commit mass shootings or bombings but they DO have the resources to target small town library seed banks? Because ISIS may be plotting to submit Kudzu seeds into a library seed bank? Yeah I am sure that is a headline they would covet "Kudzu discovered in Mechanicsburg Virginia vegetable garden, ISIS has claimed responsibility".

Last edited:
I'd appreciate some prayers please.
My cat Dus is dying of cancer.
I'm going to get the vet to come and do a home visit so he can be put to sleep in the comfort
of his home while in the arms of the person who loved him like a child.
I refuse to allow his last moments to be in a frightening environment with strange smells and sounds.
Dus has been with me since he was 4 weeks old, been my absolute comfort and companion
for the last 10 years.
This little soul is more than "just a cat".

I'm utterly broken.

I'm going to get the vet to come and do a home visit so he can be put to sleep in the comfort
I refuse to allow his last moments to be in a frightening environment with strange smells and sounds.
Dus has been with me since he was 4 weeks old, been my absolute comfort and companion
for the last 10 years.

I'm utterly broken.

Sorry Tank-Girl. Prayers provided.
angel_smiley007.gif

for the last 10 years.

I'm utterly broken.

I'm so sorry! I know how difficult it is to lose a friend who has meant so much!

for the last 10 years.

I'm utterly broken.
So sorry to hear Tankgirl....My best Buddy in the world is in my Avatar...I know it will be a very sad day when I say goodbye to Larry.....Prayers for you to have the strength you need to get through this and Peace to your friend who I am sure has been very fortunate to be so well loved by a true companion.....

for the last 10 years.

I'm utterly broken.
Sorry, Tank-Girl. Prayers for you and Dus. You're a good cat-mom, one of the best.

Latest posts

Back