What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some details are coming out about the shooting. The lady who runs my church's coffee shop used to attend that church and has been in contact with people she still knows over there. It apparently was an ex boyfriend/ex girlfriend thing. I understand that rumors are flying after something like this and confirmation is going to take a while. But psychos are everywhere and it feels like they're closing in on us, doesn't it? Even church isn't safe any more, especially for women.

Go heeled, even at church. It could save a life...
Slow day today, I'm in recovery mode... sometimes, even beer catches up to me. I managed to down a sandwich, now it's time for a shower... no beers today, lol. :rolleyes:
😁😉

While I was not playing customer support gambit with Verizon I weeded and planted today. Absolutely perfect conditions for weeding. Perfect weather and the soil was at that sweet spot where there was enough moisture to pull weeds roots and all but not muddy. Weeded more than I planned.

Ben

I am attempting to get the energy to go through the big storage building to locate the very sturdy table that weights a ton to put the freeze dryer on. It'll take two people to haul it where I need it, but so will the freeze dryer. I am suspecting that the table is in the building with lots of boxes on it, so I am procrastinating. Grandson will be home from work in an hr or so, so he'll have to help me move it in and down the stairs. He has a blind date tonight at the local burger place where his twin sis works. She will be spying on him for sure. Visited mom this morning, and she was very confused but settled down after we got to talking. I got a few things cleaned up for her, found her toothbrushes in the kitchen, pillowcases in the bathroom, and took out her trash. She had ice cream melting in the fridge. The nurse came and got her for her hair appointment, and that'll make her happy. Neighbor just came by and brought two huge bags of lettuce she grew.

Two nights ago after work I started to change the transmission filters on my truck. First, my large piece of cardboard was gone, apparently when the boys used it last and decided to "clean" the garage they threw it away. It was old, not very dirty though, but unless they dump a few gallons of stuff on it there was no need to throw it away. But, wouldn't you think they would mention it so new cardboard could be obtained to replace it? I also discovered that my new, large, full can of Brake Parts Cleaner was almost empty. The boys asked if they could use some and I told them if you use a little that is fine but if you use a lot I will need a full can to work on my transmission. I was really not happy at this point because things were already apart and I had no other vehicles to go to the store.

So, I disconnected what I thought were the lines to the transmission cooler and drained it, and was surprised at how little drained out, but what do I know? Apparently I know more today than at that time because I learned the power steering pump had a cooler as well. Guess what happened when I removed the transmission pan, yup, even after letting it drizzle out for a while the remaining fluid splashed all over me and the floor. You know, the floor that did not have cardboard. Used my soaked Tshirt for the rag to slop it up and tossed the shirt, and finished working on it that night with my bare back on the dirty floor. The next morning after I completed the transmission and filled the fluid I went to take it for a drive to warm it and check the fluid level and it would not steer, at all. I sat for a couple minutes and wondered if they plumbed the transmission through the power steering pump to connect both systems because they both use the same fluid. It would be a surprise but modern engineering of vehicles is real goofy. But, no, a little inspection revealed the power steering did have a cooler and now it has 2 quarts of new fluid keeping it happy. Anyways, part 3 of the boys annoying the heck out of me, I grabbed my new small torque wrench, I got it for Christmas and I personally never used it, and the boys left it set at 90 inch-pounds even though I specifically told them to back off the spring tension when they were done. So, I don't know how accurate it is after sitting a month with pressure on the spring but it was what I had so I used it and hope the bolts for the pan are actually close enough to 120 inch pounds. I will look at it this weekend to see if anything is leaking.

I need a very large locking cabinet to keep the GF's kids out of my stuff, or they need to get their own place to live.

Woke up this morning and realized my youngest turned 12 YESTERDAY. I sent him a few texts for a happy last day of school but I had not looked at the date and did not realize it was his birthday. UGH!!! He didn't mention anything about it or mention cake or a party but I suspect they will be doing that tomorrow/Saturday so that is probably why he didn't bring it up.

Went to the small town to buy some brake parts cleaner to stock up my shelf and to give a new can to the neighbor who gave me the last of what he had, which was barely enough. He said I didn't have to but it is the right thing to do or you run the risk of not being allowed to borrow stuff again. On the way home there was an old Dodge pickup on the side of the highway overheating. I stopped and offered help but he was just waiting for it to cool off so he could top it off again and keep going. He had what he needed but while talking he mentioned an occasional problem with vapor lock while driving in the desert heat. I was familiar with the old Mopar engines and told him to go to the parts store in the small town I just came back from and showed him how to reroute his fuel line from the fuel pump away from the engine and up over top to the carburator. The fuel line was resting on his water pump and that was causing the vapor lock. He is heading to Idaho pulling a utility trailer full of heavy stuff and the truck was loaded too. He plans to take all the back roads, not sure if that is to avoid traffic and long steep grades on the freeway or if his vehicle registration is expired and he is trying to avoid the cops, but either way he will have a nice trip if his truck holds up.

I am attempting to get the energy to go through the big storage building to locate the very sturdy table that weights a ton to put the freeze dryer on. It'll take two people to haul it where I need it, but so will the freeze dryer. I am suspecting that the table is in the building with lots of boxes on it, so I am procrastinating. Grandson will be home from work in an hr or so, so he'll have to help me move it in and down the stairs. He has a blind date tonight at the local burger place where his twin sis works. She will be spying on him for sure. Visited mom this morning, and she was very confused but settled down after we got to talking. I got a few things cleaned up for her, found her toothbrushes in the kitchen, pillowcases in the bathroom, and took out her trash. She had ice cream melting in the fridge. The nurse came and got her for her hair appointment, and that'll make her happy. Neighbor just came by and brought two huge bags of lettuce she grew.
Is that the same freeze dryer that @Double R was struggling with?

Ben

I need to not be a slug today. Want to get the marker lights on the trailer, do the ironing, weed the tomatoes and beans, get chili ingredients ready for the chili cookoff next weekend - maaaaybe use a vtg. veg. slicer ;)
Is there a picture of this mystery vintage vegetable slicer?
I want to see it please.

Had early morning fasting labs in next town over at VA CBOC clinic.
Had eye exam while there for new glasses.
Went to Alidi's while there too.
Reading forums,sipping tea.
Last evening went to American Legion meeting.
Some how or another I became Finance Officer.
We will see how that goes........
I have several upcoming Doctor's appointments coming up starting today.
Next Wednesday.
And one the following week too.
Not to mention Dad's Doctor's appointments too.
Our Post is in trouble.
It's like all small Posts it's membership is dying.
There only a handful of people that volunteer to do things anymore.
I donated some food stuff to a local Veteran who had a house fire.
House is completely gone.
Will be making Christmas gifts for another local family that came out of a bad situation.
Soon to be ex husband will be in the "big" house by the time the divorce if final.
He also will be ex communicated from their church.
At least I try to give back to my community when I can.

Last edited:
I wonder if throwing a few rubber snakes around where the birds are would encourage them to find a new home?
We have plenty of real ones here and it don't faze them a bit.
I kinda like having them around though, so I am not the only crazy creature here :thumbs:🤪.

Edit: Hateful or crazy? You decide, in 38 seconds...

Last edited:
I’m feeling a little better today. Made some beef jerky, dried some red bell peppers, and made a couple loaves of zucchini bread. Hubby was disappointed it wasn’t banana nut bread but still managed to choke down half a loaf in a sitting. 🙄 😆. Fixin’ to put some steaks on the grill I marinated with the jerky and the squash casserole in the oven. 😋

Busy week at work. Too many projects going on to keep up with. And I can't get enough time from the boss to let him know I'm getting backed up. Trying to figure out how to manage it all and not being successful yet.
Haven't gotten much done around the house, just hoe'd some stuff in the garden and pulled a few weeds from the beds.

Busy week at work. Too many projects going on to keep up with. And I can't get enough time from the boss to let him know I'm getting backed up. Trying to figure out how to manage it all and not being successful yet.
Haven't gotten much done around the house, just hoe'd some stuff in the garden and pulled a few weeds from the beds.
Gonna have to have a boss chat!!

What am I doing today................SWELTERING. It is HOT. It "might" get to 90* tomorrow or Sunday.

Last edited:
Took my daughter up to the farm to see my sister and brother in law while they're home from Turkey. They leave on Sunday to go visit their daughter in Minneapolis before flying out on Tuesday. My daughter went with her aunts to a knick knack shop while my brother, BIL, and I assembled a new shed for Pops, to replace his old garage that burned down. It's one of those "shed in a box" kits and it's pretty flimsy. We got everything anchored down to his old garage slab and got everything put up except the doors...
20220603_170327.jpg

I don't think these things are made to handle the kind of weather you get out in the country. We'll see how it holds up.

We went in to see mom at the nursing home afterward. Got home at 10:45, and headed for bed. We're going to a parade in a neighboring town in the morning...

We have a local charity that converts inexpensive sewing machines to treadles (or rehabs antique ones) and donates them to families in areas where electricity isn't available. It's amazing the difference it makes in their lives!
I have a friend in the Atlanta area who works at a recycling center. She can weld. She converts them to hand crank machines and donates them to charity.

How was it?
It was a nice time. They expanded the vendor areas, so we kept getting lost. Lots of wood "charcuterie" boards, that must be the "in" term for a cutting board. I still call em meat and cheese trays. Lori worked with a caricature artist to get a drawing her on her Toby(he is a horse), she can't wait till it's delivered. Lots of stained glass, metal sculptures, fiber arts too.

Pretty much all well of our price range, darn artists charge for the time they spend creating :)

Latest posts

Back