What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched 'LAWMAN' with Burt Lancaster, made in 1971... what a great movie! Ya know, Burt was a leading man in his day, a big star back when that actually meant something, and his portrayal of an upright lawman in this flick is damned good. The kind of lawman I can respect, unlike the corrupt trash I saw back in Kalifornia. And it might surprise some of you to know that I'm actually capable of respecting someone who upholds the law... the right way. Despite my phony charges, proffered after I attempted to expose corruption, I don't consider myself to be a criminal, though I did a few things in my youth which I'm not really proud of today, lol. And I don't hold it against the speed cops who actually caught me hauling @$$, they were just doing their job, 10-4? (A nod to Amish Heart here, lol.) Kinda like a "sin tax" for twisting the throttle or mashing the accelerator, lol... :oops:

Going back to the flick, the scenery is AWESOME! Was that Smith Rocks used as one location in the movie? Looked like 'Monkeyface' in one scene, and other shots reminded me of pics out of climbing mags back in the day. What a cool venue, and a great place to film such a Western, though I'm sure there were other locations. Ol' Burt was HARD in this flick, no bribery or corruption on HIS watch, lol... and the rich rancher who thought he was above the law finally met his doom, the coward. Sheeeee-it, if I were ever in that situation, I'd go out in a hail of bullets, no suicide involved... but actor Lee J. Cobb did a good job portraying that rancher. Robert Ryan was good as the bought-and-sold marshal who finally gains redemption. Great movie, I highly recommend it... I saw it before a long time ago, but it was good the second time around. :cool:

Just watched 'LAWMAN' with Burt Lancaster, made in 1971... what a great movie! :oops:

Going back to the flick, the scenery is AWESOME! Was that Smith Rocks used as one location in the movie? Looked like 'Monkeyface' in one scene, :cool:

I once lived in Newhall ca, has the cowboy walk of stars, lots of old and current (that time) movie and tv stuff. 100's of old westerns filmed there. I used to go to the old saugus speedway just a mile away, lots of Chip's episodes filmed there.

But I digress, did you ever go up to lone pine ca? The alabama hills are at the base of mt whitney. If there was a movie scene with huge granite bolders in an old western it was probably the ala hills.

There was little hotel there that had a big hot tub. People could sit in the tub and watch Mt. whitney in all kinds of weather. I saw the mtn under a full moon one night, very dry air that high up, crystal clear sky. Everyone should see that once.

There was an old steak house, the walls covered with signatures of every great star, fonda, wayne, ford, cooper... they all stayed in lone pine and ate at that steak house. JUst remembered, the hotel was the dow villa.

Last edited:
Yes, I've been to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills... not only were hundreds of Westerns filmed there, but the Alabama Hills have some fine "bouldering" for technical rock climbers, the rock is excellent! I had a blast truck camping in the Alabama Hills one long weekend, I know I have a shot of it in this link (2nd pic). 😒

Random outdoor adventure shots...

There are also shots of the primo granite crag I soloed above Horseshoe Meadow, which lies at an elevation of 10,000' in the High Sierras. The town of Lone Pine is cool, I met some classic characters there during my truck camping venture. That town has a lot of history, and not just film history... it's a pretty cool area too, lots of outdoor activities to enjoy! :cool:

P.S. I posted additional shots of the Alabama Hills & Horseshoe Meadow in "Wingnut's Crazy 'Trucking Daze' Thread!" ;)

Last edited:
Les Miserables

If you haven't seen it live, or you don't know the music already, I'm not sure a streamed movie is the best way to be exposed to the story...but it is a great story, and the music is amazing, so if this is the only way to see Les Miserables, then do it. Star studded cast. Hugh Jackman (the Wolverine, for pete's sake!) does an amazing job. So do the other actors (Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, and many more).

I've been lucky enough to see live performances of Les Mis twice in my lifetime (not on Broadway, but still...), and before I saw it live, I had listened to the Broadway CDs repeatedly, so I already knew the music and the basics of the story. This is one show that is more powerful if you already know what is going to happen...I guess the magic is in the telling of the story, not the revealing of it.

Last edited:
While I have never seen Les Misérables as a full performance...

There was a small christian school adjacent to The Ridge a few years ago. The building didn't have a theatre but they were determined to put on class musicals. They rented out a nearby mega- church dor the shows. They built the set behind the school building and they would rehearse outside in the back lot. On more than one occasion I snuck up and sat in the brush listening to the practice. They did Diddler on the Roof and Les Misérables. I enjoyed both.

Ben

Didn't party hard after all, no busthead cider & no tequila shots, just a few beers, lol... the rest & recuperation was enough to keep me happy. I wound up watching the Jackie Chan version of 'THE KARATE KID' earlier today, now I'm watching the Russell Crowe version of 'ROBIN HOOD' before I mack a burrito plate and crash. Manana, more painting... :oops:

The son purchased Disney+ and let me watch a bit of it, I got hooked on the StarWars series:

I would like to binge watch the The Mandalorian (season 1&2) followed by The Book of Boba Fett and then wrap it up with The Mandalorian season 3 sometime in the next couple of weeks, but there may not be time for that...

Watching the Kentucky Derby.
They marched out all of the horses and named the owner's names...
One of them was owned by... Me!:oops:
(the owner's name was exactly the same as my legal name! gaah)
We didn't win.:(

I finished my Chinese show and now I really don't know what to watch. Not that I have a ton of time but I like to watch something before I go to sleep.
I wished I could watch something in English every once in a while but can't find anything I haven't either watched already at some point, or is "woke" and I turn it off by episode 3....
Maybe I will just watch Supernatural for the 4th time...( I have the DVDs)

I wished I could watch something in English every once in a while but can't find anything I haven't either watched already at some point, or is "woke" and I turn it off by episode 3....
Maybe I will just watch Supernatural for the 4th time...( I have the DVDs)
Yep, DVD's are good. They cannot be infected with a woke "trannys-mission". :thumbs:

(Get it? Transmission:D).
A good 'tranny' 4L60E:
24229175-n.jpg

Last edited:
Been paralyzed with grief all afternoon. Spent it on the couch watching movies. Watched Rampage, Clash of the Titans, Unstoppable and now I have Runaway Jury on.
Which version?

I loved the Harry Howsen (sp?) version. Scared the beegeebers out of me as a kid.

Ben

Which version?

I loved the Harry Howsen (sp?) version. Scared the beegeebers out of me as a kid.

Ben

I was too busy watching Ursula Andress as Aphrodite to be scared. Intimidating yes, scary, not so much... 🤣

Tonight I'm watching Knute Rockne, All American. Ronald Reagan played the 'Gip'.

Filmed in 1940 just before the war, great old movie.

Last edited:
So, last night I watched one of my favorite Westerns... 'JOE KIDD' with Clint Eastwood. Such good scenery in that flick, much of it filmed in the Alabama Hills outside Lone Pine, CA, with Mt. Whitney towering above the eastern escarpment of the Sierras. Great film, made when crews had already dialed in Technicolor & Panavision. The story is classic too, and even as the bad guy Robert Duvall was good, lol. Once Clint got rid of his "dude suit" from a night on the town, his attire was stylin', just the way a Western man should look, lol. Gotta love the train wreck too, that was a cool old train, yeah? :cool:

After that movie ended, I started watching 'CHARLEY VARRICK' with Walter Matthau... another old school actor I like. I only got about halfway through that one, I'll watch the rest tonight. Walter Matthau was a pretty funny guy, and he starred in a whole heap of films... I can't really recall a Walter Matthau film I did NOT like. Maybe he didn't get top billing and publicity like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Steve McQueen, et al, but Walter was a star in his own right. Some of his work is downright hilarious, and this world can use a little laughter, ya know? Too much bad news as it is... :confused:

Been paralyzed with grief all afternoon. Spent it on the couch watching movies. Watched Rampage, Clash of the Titans, Unstoppable and now I have Runaway Jury on.

I don't know if this will help, but there is one movie I watch when I am in a really really bad mood and unhappy. Saturday Night Fever. It makes you feel better about your own life no matter what, watching those bunch of loosers and thinking about what it would be like to have THEIR lives and living in a craphole like NYC. Try it, really. It can't hurt

Finished watching 'CHARLEY VARRICK' this afternoon, then watched a couple more movies... 'GHOST RIDER' (the original movie) and 'REAL STEEL' (this one seemed like a remake of the original, which I enjoyed). Was there a remake of 'REAL STEEL' which also starred Hugh Jackman? I'm pretty sure that's what I saw today, but it was still entertaining, though I think I liked the original movie better. Meh, no worries, at least I got to rest & relax, so I'm hoping to finish the bathroom floors manana... we'll see how well I sleep tonight. I'm off, y'all be good, and "HASTA LUEGO!" 🤠

I have gone down the rabbit hole with "Bosch" an Amazon Prime series about a police detective in Los Angeles. It is raw as you would expect but I like the characters you are suppose to like, and hate the characters you are supposed to hate. IMHO it is very well done.

The odd thing about it, the main character I believe played by Titus Welliver, has the exact same voice as Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs. It is uncanny how much alike they sound.

Speaking of going down the rabbit hole, we watched the first season of Rabbit Hole.

We had ordered Walmart+ for a family member, and it turned out that we got the Paramount+ streaming service with it, even though we didn't sign up for it. When everyone at my wife's job was talking about this show, and we found out we had the service already, we decided to watch the show.

It is kind of a crazy show, but we enjoyed it. It has kind of a 24 / Person of Interest feel to it. I recommend it.

I have gone down the rabbit hole with "Bosch" an Amazon Prime series about a police detective in Los Angeles. It is raw as you would expect but I like the characters you are suppose to like, and hate the characters you are supposed to hate. IMHO it is very well done.

The odd thing about it, the main character I believe played by Titus Welliver, has the exact same voice as Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs. It is uncanny how much alike they sound.
That is a great series. I started watching it and couldn't stop. I saw both series. It is something I'll watch again some time.

Back