Another new cat???😮🤔

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully the deworming will help. Affection (if he accepts it) is also helpful. They did studies and found that pets that get attention/affection while trying to recover from illness/injury do much better than ones that are only given treatment without affection.
He gets A LOT of affection!! He's all for it!! Not the unsure kitty he was when he first came!! The petting and brushing are SO important!! AND the dewormer for coccidia has definitely helped! He has his appetite back! I dewormed him with Strongid two weeks after he came, got Panacur a few days ago! Hopefully good updates coming!!

Sammy has really made strides this week! Still not much weight gain, but that's hard with the kind of heat we had here! His scraggly coat is shedding out and revealing a soft lush coat. I do think Peanut was right about him being a Birman, his coat doesn't mat, that's a Birman thing! His appetite is great and he's exploring more, following the two girl cats around. Hopefully he is on the right track, will take some pictures today. He still looks terrible compared to the other cats, but much better than he did!!

IMG_20230723_081558811.jpg
IMG_20230723_081623074.jpg

The second pic really shows that soft coat that's come through! No one worry, the empty bowl was a lure to get a picture. 😉

View attachment 112428View attachment 112429
The second pic really shows that soft coat that's come through! No one worry, the empty bowl was a lure to get a picture. 😉
I had two of those guys once, they are chatty as all get out! The oldest was named "Freedom" and the kitten that came with him was "Liberty" They both had collars on so tight they could barely breathe, When I nipped Freedom's off, he rubbed my face and made a noise that sounded like he said FREEDOM! Naturally the other was named Liberty.
Not the first time I ever had a cat speak English to me. ()_()

Looking good! Keep it up. Sometimes critters are even sicker than they appear... takes a long time for them to recover. Depending on age they may never fully recover, in spite of doing all the right things. But their lives are far better for it. ;)

Very proud of Sammy and Annie tonight! Heard growling just before taking Bear out for his final pee. That bad tomcat was having a standoff with Sam, Sam was growling! Holding his ground!! I opened the door and the tom took off! Little Black Annie ran him down and whooped his butt! She is little, but she was a mama cat, she knows how to take care of those bullies!! She and Sammy have become pretty close!!♥️😺

A new cat has wandered in this week here too, the poor old guy looks like hell! he's scared of his own shadow, For some reason, my Alpha male Womp is tolerating him, might be because they are the same breed?

@Pearl here's a pic of the birman i had for 16yrs. The markings on Sammy are very similar, the way the hair fluffs, even the brown shades. This cat had longer hair, told it was registered birman. She was a registered psycho for sure!!! 😁

View attachment 115260View attachment 115261
I'm sure he's a Birman, or Birman/ Maine Coon. His coat doesn't mat, and that color say Birman. But he is huge, big feet, long legs, just needs to keep filling out! His face is big too! I'm just so glad he is flourishing!

Sammy had the bad tom pinned against Bear's fence this evening! Bear and I were coming back from a walk and I thought Sammy was getting beat up!! Nope, he was hollering at the bad tom, had it down!! When Bear and I came around the house the tom took off!! Sammy now feels THAT good, so glad for him!

Sammy had the bad tom pinned against Bear's fence this evening! Bear and I were coming back from a walk and I thought Sammy was getting beat up!! Nope, he was hollering at the bad tom, had it down!! When Bear and I came around the house the tom took off!! Sammy now feels THAT good, so glad for him!
I want to laugh about it but I’ll bet you weren’t! Nice description. How did Bear feel about it? Our dog doesn’t like other cats.

He's claimed his turf!

My dog Princess is the same way with our older cats and the youngest one. When I first brought the youngest ones home I introduced them to Princess and told them they were her kittens. We kept them quarantined from the other cats, but Princess loved to go see them and touch noses. We lost poor Namir, but we still have Temjin & Princess adores her. If any cat so much as looks at her funny, Princess will defend her.

I'm very glad that Sammy is feeling better and has more confidence.

@Pearl what kind of flea meds did you use on Sammy? (asking for a friend 🐈‍⬛) Might explain why our kitty has been weird lately.
I make my own! Oil of citronella, once a week, just a drop or two on the shoulders and rear. Lemon juice every other week, just a few drops, shoulders and rear. A little garlic in canned food a few times a month! My oldest house cat has horrible reactions to flea control! Had to do it naturally!!

And peppermint oil can give cats aspiration pneumonia and cause organ failure. So its best to be careful with the use of it. Not sure if it causes any skin irritation or not.

I hope Sammy & other kitties are doing well still. Got my kitty Rupert on my lap purring away. He was a kitten in a semi-feral colony. My late elderly friends had been feeding them. The old man died and his son forced the widow to move away. Rupert had fleas that brought in earmites and gave him a bad ear infection. He was afraid of me & would run when I tried to help him. I'd already rescued his sister bc she had a severe eye infection & lost an eye. One day Rupert was spinning in circles bc of the ear infection & couldn't fun from me. When I picked him up he froze up, just petrified with fear. Took him to the vet, got him treated, brought him home & continued to give ear meds. He was happy to see his sister & they cuddled together. He also learned that he LOVES being held & petted. He's now super friendly and wants to cuddle with staff at the vet's office when I bring him in.

Latest posts

Back