Front Porch Chit Chat

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this at WM yesterday... I'm always astonished when someone loses a front hub. Are they hearing impaired? Have no feeling in their arms? How does a hub fail without the driver knowing something serious was wrong days before it happened?

I've had two hubs fail when driving, on a tractor and a truck. In both cases my only surprise was that it took so long!

It's not like this is an Indy car crashing at 230mph when a hub failed. Its a pickup cutting across the parking lot.

Oh, the white building in the far distance. They call it the multiplex, its also where the farmers market is located. I've sold tons of peaches at that place.

View attachment 78803
The hub on our flatbed failed like that but that was on an overloaded trailer an 11 mile long gravel road. Not a smoothish parking lot.

Saw this at WM yesterday... I'm always astonished when someone loses a front hub. Are they hearing impaired? Have no feeling in their arms? How does a hub fail without the driver knowing something serious was wrong days before it happened?

I've had two hubs fail when driving, on a tractor and a truck. In both cases my only surprise was that it took so long!

It's not like this is an Indy car crashing at 230mph when a hub failed. Its a pickup cutting across the parking lot.

Oh, the white building in the far distance. They call it the multiplex, its also where the farmers market is located. I've sold tons of peaches at that place.

View attachment 78803
I lost a front wheel off my machine at work last summer. It was a sudden bearing failure in a tight curve with a lot of superelevation. The front axle had shifted. It started to howl and I immediately called the mechanic on the radio. He came over, listened to it, and said it was a stuck brake. So he unhooked the brake and said run it. By this time it was getting hard to move the machine. It didn't stop howling. About 10 minutes later I finished for the day and we all headed for the hole, about a mile and a half away. There was smoke and a bad burned metal smell by this time. I told the foreman I probably wasn't going to make it into the hole. Sure enough that wheel fell off going through the switch into the siding where we were parking. We had to get a semi wrecker out there to set my machine off the track and I got three hours of OT putting the new axle on. The director of equipment maintenance tried to hang me for not greasing my axles, but somebody pointed out that the mechanics inspected all the other axles and they were adequately lubed so it didn't make sense that the broken one was not. It didn't make any noise or vibration until it happened, it just failed...

@Spikedriver 's post got me to thinking back to the time I was driving a 4X4 on an off road course. There was a long sweeping washboard curve that we were expected to maintain 55mph on (monitored by tachograph), the metal on the front A arm connection just failed and the left front wheel just came out of the wheel well (A arm and all), twisted around until it was touching the drivers side door. Yep, at 55 mph things were exciting for a second or two. Just like Spike, I got to sit out in the Sonoran sun for about 3 hours till the wrecker could come out from town and haul it back to the shop.

That had to be one of the most fun jobs I ever had....

Same to you @UrbanHunter!
I’m supposed to be sleeping but can’t so browsing land for sale online. At least I can dream one way or another 😉 Hope you have a great day!
I too dream of being able to move to a place where I can have a patch of woods, a big garden, and an escape from the city lights.....

Hope you can locate a place before long. Then the fun starts, moving.

Thanks!
Eeeeeeeekkkkkkk We’ve been prepping here for that but still have a lot to work out. Like how to get our cattle equipment and tractors there. We’ve lived here our entire adult lives so it will be a test I’m sure. Lol We work well together and are pretty determined so we will see how it goes. I’m nervous but excited to finally do it.

Thanks!
Eeeeeeeekkkkkkk We’ve been prepping here for that but still have a lot to work out. Like how to get our cattle equipment and tractors there. We’ve lived here our entire adult lives so it will be a test I’m sure. Lol We work well together and are pretty determined so we will see how it goes. I’m nervous but excited to finally do it.
@Double R how heavy is the tractor, Erica? I'd take it up to the nearest co-op, weigh it, and then if you've got a big enough truck I'd just trailer it. Might mean an extra trip, but it'd be a lot cheaper than hiring somebody to truck it - unless you could hire somebody that could haul everything else in the same trip. Know anybody with a Kenworth and a van trailer that you might need able to hire?

@Double R how heavy is the tractor, Erica? I'd take it up to the nearest co-op, weigh it, and then if you've got a big enough truck I'd just trailer it. Might mean an extra trip, but it'd be a lot cheaper than hiring somebody to truck it - unless you could hire somebody that could haul everything else in the same trip. Know anybody with a Kenworth and a van trailer that you might need able to hire?

I can haul it fine (the big one) but legally I can not. Takes a class A. I no longer have one. We have 3 tractors to go. The other two i could haul legally. We were discussing seeing if it’s possible to hire a rig to take it all in 1 load. Not sure how that works anymore. Been a long time since I’ve driven truck.
I figure I can’t work those details out till we have a location for them to go.
And no. Everyone I knew with rigs fled the state and I think all are retired now

I can haul it fine (the big one) but legally I can not. Takes a class A. I no longer have one. We have 3 tractors to go. The other two i could haul legally. We were discussing seeing if it’s possible to hire a rig to take it all in 1 load. Not sure how that works anymore. Been a long time since I’ve driven truck.
I figure I can’t work those details out till we have a location for them to go.
And no. Everyone I knew with rigs fled the state and I think all are retired now
If you're hauling your own, not for hire, you should be able to haul it without the class A. I'd look into that...

I hired a trucking company to get my crap across Canada. One semi is allowed to carry 58,000 lbs. Pretty much amounts to anything you can fit on a 53' deck and strap down. By far, it's the best way to ship farm machinery. With things the way they are now, the cost of shipping will be less then trying to buy again and hoping you get it.

One truck carried the big tractor, car, horse buggy and a whole pile of smaller farm implements in, around and under everything. Both the car and tractor were filled inside after being driven on. That trucker looked like he was moving the Beverly Hillbillies.

Two more trucks carried 40' loaded seacans and had shop equipment and freezers and general junk on the 13' poop decks. Those truckers were running around gathering up hoses, greese buckets and anything else they could throw on the heap. We made sure to tip them their hourly wages because they were not just standing around, but being genuinely helpful.

We had to hire a boom truck to load and unload all that stuff. They agreed to make sure the tractor was delivered first so we had it to help unloading all the odd stuff.

I don't know what they charge now or the availability but if you can, skip the moving companies and hire a trucking company for the actual hauling. If you can be flexible with dates and let them go when they have a load arranged for return at the other end, they might even knock some more off the price. Mine did. They ended up storing my loaded trailers in their yard for 3 months, which was great for me because I was able to buy a place for them to take it too. They didn't charge for storage (my stuff was clogging up 3 trailers) because they were able to return with full loads and not empty trucks.

I realize that you live in a crime ridden area, so if you do buy your own sea cans and load them on the ground, you can have the boom truck load the container on the truck backwards so that it is impossible to open the doors until it is sitting back down on the ground. By buying your own containers, you can keep them for storage or get your money back selling them. You can also start loading them at your leisure.

Latest posts

Back