Is anyone seeing a lot of flu?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Winds-of-change's advice- don't keep your hands on the wipe on the shopping cart. Wipe the handle well, then let it dry before you touch it. A lot of germicidal cleaners work not only by killing germs on contact, but also killing them as the germicide dries. Make sure after your shopping is done that you wash your hands really well. Plain old soap, running water and a good 20 seconds of thorough rubbing is a great way to get rid of any lingering flu viruses.

I didn't realize that and will change my shopping with carts routine! Thank you!

I met with folks from both the Arizona State Health Department and my County Health Department today. Flu is still really bad in Arizona, and we've not yet hit the peak. The H3N2 strain is really virulent this year and seems to be the one causing most of the hospitalizations, secondary infections, and deaths. We are also starting to see a spike in Flu B, mostly the Yamagata strain, which so far doesn't seem as deadly. I agree with Winds-of-change's advice- don't keep your hands on the wipe on the shopping cart. Wipe the handle well, then let it dry before you touch it. A lot of germicidal cleaners work not only by killing germs on contact, but also killing them as the germicide dries. Make sure after your shopping is done that you wash your hands really well. Plain old soap, running water and a good 20 seconds of thorough rubbing is a great way to get rid of any lingering flu viruses.
Dr. Prepper, I am a lab tech. We are starting to see Flu B more often. At first it was just Flu A. This is s terrible flu season.

Dr. Prepper, I am a lab tech. We are starting to see Flu B more often. At first it was just Flu A. This is s terrible flu season.
It sure is. The CDC released today that there have been 53 pediatric deaths so far this year, and almost 600,000 lab confirmed cases since October 1. For every lab confirmed case, there are 5-10 cases of flu that either did not get treated or else were treated without the lab test being done. That is a lot of sick people, and it's not over yet!

It sure is. The CDC released today that there have been 53 pediatric deaths so far this year, and almost 600,000 lab confirmed cases since October 1. For every lab confirmed case, there are 5-10 cases of flu that either did not get treated or else were treated without the lab test being done. That is a lot of sick people, and it's not over yet!
Yes. From what I understand, the peak is two weeks away.

Thought this was important to share:
Unusual symptoms being linked to the flu;
http://www.wave3.com/story/37428162...ndiana-influenza-outbreak-makes-national-news

(SNIP): ". . .
With type A, patients are more likely to have a high fever, headache, body ache, sore throat and a cough.

Type B is normally milder, but can still be dangerous.

More patients experience vomiting and nausea with strain B and now some people are experiencing hives and rashes.

Both of those, unusual symptoms when it comes to diagnosing the flu."

Start wearing N95 or N100 masks. New study shows confirms it's in the air around the person who has flu & is breathing.

Plug your ears and closes your eyes too. I change my clothes soon as I get to my van. I've had the flu twice in my lifetime. Both times it almost killed me. Taking care of hubby last month was no fun. Wake up with him coughing in my face. I couldn;t leave him hardly breathign so I slept next ot him whole time. He got pnemonia but would not go to doctor. He was real sick! I just kept praying for forgiveness and hoping for at least outskirts of heaven if I got to go there.

Don't think it's the flu. Just a dull pain from my right shoulder, up the back of my neck to just behind my right ear. Started a week ago along with a constant headache. Last two nights I slept like a dead man and this morning the headache is almost gone along with the pain. Think I must have pulled a muscle a thinking too hard?

Don't think it's the flu. Just a dull pain from my right shoulder, up the back of my neck to just behind my right ear. Started a week ago along with a constant headache. Last two nights I slept like a dead man and this morning the headache is almost gone along with the pain. Think I must have pulled a muscle a thinking too hard?

How's your heart? When have you had a check up last? Just saying. The symptoms don't always present like we've been taught (left arm, etc). Do t mean to scare just make aware....

How's your heart? When have you had a check up last? Just saying. The symptoms don't always present like we've been taught (left arm, etc). Do t mean to scare just make aware....

Thats what I was thinking too. Hubby has been hurting left side his chest for over a week, I thought it may be plurusy 'spl' and told him to go to dr. He said soon as flu season calms down because this one people are getting twice according to news. He said it feels liek his heart, but he does things sometimes he shouldn't and hurts himself. He needs to go and I can raise enough cane to make him but today he feels better. Happens again he will go flu or no flu. He hasn't had a check up for years for his heart,he did have complete blood count las year.

My annual checkup was 18 years ago. I'm 10 pounds overweight, health is excellent and the heart (the last time I checked) was still beating. Grandpa lived to 100 and Dad into his 90s.

Carotid Artery is in front of the ear...

I just kept praying for forgiveness and hoping for at least outskirts of heaven if I got to go there.

Just avoid talking politics when you get to the Pearly Gates and you are a shoo-in. ;)

Just avoid talking politics when you get to the Pearly Gates and you are a shoo-in. ;)

I think your right about that. You know thats how Lucifer got thrown out thought he was going to take over or make changes. Of course I would never have the following he had. 1/3 of the angels went with him.
Anyway hubby is doing better but I'm not going round 2 with this crapola he will go to the hospital if he gets sick again or if his chest hurts him. If I have to stick a see thru plastic bag over my head in the waiting room.

Haven't seen any flu, but then we don't go to town any more than we have to, we wipe carts and avoid people that are coughing. After seeing certain people getting sick, I believe that the PTB have designer diseases, all setup to affect races, genetics and blood types, I remember hearing that SARs from a few years back was mainly affecting Asians people.

I think your right about that. You know thats how Lucifer got thrown out thought he was going to take over or make changes. Of course I would never have the following he had. 1/3 of the angels went with him.
Anyway hubby is doing better but I'm not going round 2 with this crapola he will go to the hospital if he gets sick again or if his chest hurts him. If I have to stick a see thru plastic bag over my head in the waiting room.

Make him go. It can literally mean life or death. I’m not kidding.

Also, I work in a hospital lab. Every year I test HUNDREDS of flu swabs.........many that are positive. And I haven’t had the flu in years. Wash your hands, use hand sanitizer, keep your hands away from your face. You’ll be okay.

Thought this was important to share:
Unusual symptoms being linked to the flu;
http://www.wave3.com/story/37428162...ndiana-influenza-outbreak-makes-national-news

(SNIP): ". . .
With type A, patients are more likely to have a high fever, headache, body ache, sore throat and a cough.

Type B is normally milder, but can still be dangerous.

More patients experience vomiting and nausea with strain B and now some people are experiencing hives and rashes.

Both of those, unusual symptoms when it comes to diagnosing the flu."

ReadyMom,
I am now starting to see an increase in Flu B, but unlike other years, I am seeing patients who are just as sick with Flu B as with flu A! It used to be pretty rare that we admitted a patient with Flu B, but this year they are coming to us bordering on septic with superimposed pneumonia and strep throat. It is a rough flu year, that's for sure!

What a change a month has made in the flue situation. Since the original post It's exploded! It's by the Grace of God my wife and I haven't caught it!
Angel-animated.gif

So glad you haven't got the flu yourself and your wife @gumpy it is really nasty. If I was over there knowing what we went through over here I would be wearing a mask when I went out that I brought from home.

The reason why it is so severe in my opinion is that a lot of people don't isolate themselves or keep their germs to themselves at home but instead choose to go out and infect others. Most people should know to stay at home if you are sick or should have been brought up with that knowledge at least :confused: .

We had a lot of our church members who came to church with it for weeks, dare I say it most inconsiderate of them too. We stay at home when we are sick but it seems we are a minority in our group of acquaintances.

Amen! Our church was hit hard with it. Our pastor has been out for two weeks! Probably 1/2 the congregation has had it.

The wife came down with it while traveling to keep from bringing it home to me. She further delayed her trip to Hawaii, just in case, as her friends husband has rather fragile health.

@gumpy we had people out with the flu for 2 - 3 months some of them before they recovered, we were fortunate that even with pneumonia we were back on deck within a month. We thought we were over it and it had a second turn at us and pneumonia set in and it took 2 courses of antibiotics before we were over it and another couple of weeks before we got our full strength back. So you may find people will be sick for longer than 2 weeks too.

@gumpy we had people out with the flu for 2 - 3 months some of them before they recovered, we were fortunate that even with pneumonia we were back on deck within a month. We thought we were over it and it had a second turn at us and pneumonia set in and it took 2 courses of antibiotics before we were over it and another couple of weeks before we got our full strength back. So you may find people will be sick for longer than 2 weeks too.

There has been! In Tennessee alone there has been 7 children that have died from it. That was from a week ago. There was 20 something deaths in Kentucky reported but surely they weren't all children!!

@gumpy we also had deaths here because of the flu and most were people who should have been rather healthy in their 20's and 30's, a few children and some elderly people too. My friend who is in an aged care facility told me that during that time she saw people and after that they vanished after being in quarantine, the admin shut down the whole facility during that time too so no-one could go in or out unless it was staff.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/37453156/school-closings-for-thursday-friday-because-of-the-flu

5 school districts have closed here because of the flu. :(

My 84-year-old dad is a pastor of a rural church. Weekend before last there was a regional conference he attended. I begged him to go. He also visits the sick at the hospital every Sunday afternoon.

Like me he takes my poke root tincture for arthritis which is also a powerful antiviral. He hasn’t had the flu in 4 years since he started taking it for arthritis. At his age the flu would wipe him out… knock on wood or praise God… which ever you prefer.

http://www.wbrc.com/story/37453156/school-closings-for-thursday-friday-because-of-the-flu

5 school districts have closed here because of the flu. :(

My 84-year-old dad is a pastor of a rural church. Weekend before last there was a regional conference he attended. I begged him to go. He also visits the sick at the hospital every Sunday afternoon.

Like me he takes my poke root tincture for arthritis which is also a powerful antiviral. He hasn’t had the flu in 4 years since he started taking it for arthritis. At his age the flu would wipe him out… knock on wood or praise God… which ever you prefer.

If I want to 'knock on wood,I just smack my head'! 'Praise God' suites me.
faith.jpg

All the schools closed down early over here until after the Chinese New Year holidays as a precaution. After SARS, Hong Kong dont screw around. So
far my family has been lucky, hand washing and gargling warm water all the time, just the usual head colds.
We have a nasty cold that has been making the rounds in the restaurant for the last 3-6 weeks. My head chef has had this cold 3 times already. It don't help that he smokes a pack a day and eats instant noodles for breakfast....

So far Hong Kong has had 130 something deaths, mostly over 75 and under 6 years old, for a city of close to 8 million that actually isn't that bad of a number I don't think.
The Bishop for our Church is in Singapore for two weeks so no Liturgy until he gets back.
My wife and I may even skip one more after he gets back just to err on the side of caution.
Faith is a big necessity in this, but we also give the Holy Mysteries the Orthodox way, bread, wine and a shared spoon for the whole congregation, I know this is probably needless worrying as the alcohol in the wine should kill any viruses but..... I am a compulsive worrier...

Latest posts

Back