Jakes CJ7 build

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't want a jeep without a winch. Any 4x4 for that matter
I’ve always had Warn winches, I bought this one from our local Harbor Freight. I bought the 2 year extended warranty because I’m not sure about it. All in it was $450 with the warranty so if works it was actually reasonable for a winch.

Stumbled across this and thought it fit here. Thanks Woody!
1656341812244.png

Saw a cool old Chevy pickup today, I almost turned around to get a pic, maybe I'll do it tomorrow since I know where it's parked, lol... looked like a late '40s or early '50s model, but nice, ya know? Nothing fancy, not showroom perfect, but in great shape! That's what I like about the Southwest, we're not in the Rust Belt so some of these old boys restore older vehicles and drive 'em around town, lol. It's like being in a time warp: I'll pull up, look over and see some sweet pickup or muscle car, just like back in the day! Jake is gonna be STYLIN' in that Jeep once it's done... and yeah, maybe you could've bought one that didn't need as much work, but the time you've spent together on this project is priceless! You'll be talkin' about it for the rest of your lives! In a good way! Jake's gonna have some good times with friends in that Jeep, exploring dirt roads & trails... maybe camping by some lake or river and having a blast! :camping:

Saw a cool old Chevy pickup today, I almost turned around to get a pic, maybe I'll do it tomorrow since I know where it's parked, lol... looked like a late '40s or early '50s model, but nice, ya know? Nothing fancy, not showroom perfect, but in great shape! That's what I like about the Southwest, we're not in the Rust Belt so some of these old boys restore older vehicles and drive 'em around town, lol. It's like being in a time warp: I'll pull up, look over and see some sweet pickup or muscle car, just like back in the day! Jake is gonna be STYLIN' in that Jeep once it's done... and yeah, maybe you could've bought one that didn't need as much work, but the time you've spent together on this project is priceless! You'll be talkin' about it for the rest of your lives! In a good way! Jake's gonna have some good times with friends in that Jeep, exploring dirt roads & trails... maybe camping by some lake or river and having a blast! :camping:
I could have bought a damn nice Jeep for what we will have in this one. With the health issues I had 18 months ago I have changed the way I think. All we really have is time and I really think about that now. I can’t think of any better way to spend that time other than building an old Jeep with my son.

Driveshafts are installed changed the fuel pump out and having issues. We have had 3 different pumps on it and all of them are putting out 30 pounds of pressure. Carburetors only need 5 to 8 pounds of pressure so these pumps are overflowing the carburetor. Another problem to solve.

D8E08A7A-186F-4388-90C9-200DCC77F796.jpeg
DE2CC6EB-FFE3-420E-9EFF-DA8449381463.jpeg

It's cheaper to buy than to restore but the time spent with your son is priceless.
Yep. My youngest son first vehicle was a beater truck. Starter went out. Son had the money for a rebuilt starter but didn't have the money to pay to have it installed.

We got the truck pulled over a ditch so we had room to work under the truck. Son was getting frustrated because he couldn’t see the one mounting bolt. You don’t need to see it, use your one hand to find the bolt and guide the socket over the bolt head. The smile on the son’s face when the engine started was priceless. He still talks about it.

Hashbrown I believe the best investment a parent can make is raising children into adults that contribute positive to society. You’re doing great.

My M38A1 with the 134ci 4cyl Go-Devil engine uses a dual-action mechanical fuel pump. It puts out about 5psi. (It also provides vacuum for the windshield wipers) One interesting thing about this fuel pump is that is has a priming lever.
1680355475185.png

Last edited:
Ordered a valve cover gasket and of course I got the wrong one but I guess that gives me the time to strip and paint the valve cover this weekend.

View attachment 106749
Thanks, it's been far too long since I have seen that kinda view :) 258?

Driveshafts are installed changed the fuel pump out and having issues. We have had 3 different pumps on it and all of them are putting out 30 pounds of pressure. Carburetors only need 5 to 8 pounds of pressure so these pumps are overflowing the carburetor. Another problem to solve.

View attachment 106383View attachment 106384
I set up a bypass at the Weber fuel inlet so that there is constant cool fuel going into the carb, that eliminates vapor lock on hot days, I used a fuel jet from a Holley carb to meter the bypass so that there is enough fuel pressure going into the Weber, the only issue is after the vehicle sits a few days the fuel line drains back to the tank, that problem could be solved with a low pressure check valve put in the bypass fuel line going back to the tank.

I set up a bypass at the Weber fuel inlet so that there is constant cool fuel going into the carb, that eliminates vapor lock on hot days, I used a fuel jet from a Holley carb to meter the bypass so that there is enough fuel pressure going into the Weber, the only issue is after the vehicle sits a few days the fuel line drains back to the tank, that problem could be solved with a low pressure check valve put in the bypass fuel line going back to the tank.
I made a spacer to go between the pump and the block which changed the angle that the rod contacted the fuel pump. It dropped the pressure to about 8 pounds and the added a regulator. I hope I don’t have vapor locking issues but if I do I will figure it out when I get there.

Back