Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got a dusting of snow yesterday, and the high temperature was 10. The real arctic blast arrived, and temps are below 0 with an expected 5" of snow after 5:00 pm. Temps aren't predicted to be above freezing until Friday. Glad I don't have to go anywhere.

Snowing and 28* here this morning. Got maybe 1-1/2 or 2" of fluffy snow on the ground overnight. Snow is supposed to end soon and then get more in a day or two. I doubt any of it will amount to much moisture.
Supposed to stay below freezing for a few days. Friday it is supposed to warm up again.
I hope this is the last gasp of winter.

Today nothing but cold temps
Monday evening overnight into tuesday morning accu weather is saying we're getting .50 to 1.00 inch of ICE
So what is going on out the middle of the country is hitting here monday night
Have to make sure the generator is full because that much ice will bring down trees and wires easy
Ah Winter

It is expected to get up to the high 30's today, I had just enough salt to do the drive and walkway to the front door. The nurse comes tomorrow to change the wife's dressing and to take blood, have to give her a clear path....

The forecast indicates that for the next few days it will keep warming up and we should have either rain or winter-mix this week, in any case they are forecasting above freezing days so things should get better soon......

Winter storm warning goes into effect for me in an hour... ends Tuesday morning. Supposed to get a few inches of ice/snow.

My heat is gas. The folks have central air and heat which they'll lose if the power goes off. I pulled an oak tree top up to the barn this morning with the tractor. The chainsaw is ready. I can cut them several days worth of firewood in about an hour. Hopefully I wont need it but ready if I do.

All my gas cans are full but one. I can run the generator until Wednesday morning continually. Hopefully I wont need that either.

fingers crossed...

its -12 now and still driopping. last night got to -8. and today got up to 4 briefly then hovered around 2 degrees til early afternoon then started dropping. not much snow just cold and windy.
got the wood stove blazing, an old fashioned oil heaters in bedrooms, we will be ok. im praying for those in the way of this bitter cold blast.

i learned a couple winters ago--fleece sheets and a down blanket and/or fleece blankets are the key to getting thru winter nights + fleece jammies. made a HBUGE differecne and worth every penny.

when it gets bad brutal cold, wear a jersey or knit cap to bed. it helps.
praying all are safe and warm.

C O L D

S N O W ...

I live 35 miles east of Paducah KY. 10 deg and starting to snow.

Hunker down baby.
FB_IMG_1613404460444.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
C O L D

S N O W ...
I live 35 miles east of Paducah KY. 10 deg and starting to snow.

Hunker down baby.
Jim
Well, hell has officially frozen over. :oops:
To put this in context, this is not just a 'light dusting'.
It is an epic, historic, once-every-10-years, snow event!
panic.gif

View from our front porch in South Louisiana:
IMG_20210215_094736.jpg

(yeah I know, we're just a bunch of candies):(
Since I can find something good in anything: Death To Mosquitos!!!:thumbs:

Last edited:
It is an epic, historic, once-every-10-years, snow event!View attachment 59306
View from our front porch in South Louisiana:
View attachment 59307
(yeah I know, we're just a bunch of candies):(
Since I can find something good in anything, Death To Mosquitos!!!:thumbs:
You have more snow than I do here in Montana

It is an epic, historic, once-every-10-years, snow event!View attachment 59306

Since I can find something good in anything: Death To Mosquitos!!!:thumbs:

I'm still on the wet side of this front, just got over an inch of rain. BUT the weather man still keeps saying the ice is going to get me.

A really hard, 3 day freeze, kills brown recluse spiders and fire ants... It'll kill off enough to set them back for several years.

Edit update... Just emptied the rain gauge. I got 2.41 inches since dinner time last evening. If this had fallen as ice I would be without electricity for a week.

Last edited:
Ticks do well to the arctic circle. So no, I've not noticed any drop in their populations because of a hard freeze.

Fire ants and brown recluse spiders are from the subtropics. They can't tolerate a hard freeze. By hard I mean single digits and teens and it stays below 20 degrees for about 3 days. This is why we don't see fireants in Kentucky. Ya'll get such an event almost every winter.

Back