What are you drinking?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mellow corn isn't bad either. a little secret is to wash off a piece of oak charcoal and drop it in for a month. sucks the headache out.
Use chared white oak to flavor moon shine. To get the headache out. Leave the bottle uncorked for 3 days and the bad crap will evaporate leaving you with a smooth taste

Feeling a little out of the loop because it's either iced tea or water 90% of the time. Once in a while an orange cream pop or an A&W root beer for a treat.
Used to enjoy trying out different beers with Husband. He used to brew his own and liked to try out local breweries. Right Brain makes one called Chubby Squirrel that I really liked.

Feeling a little out of the loop because it's either iced tea or water 90% of the time. Once in a while an orange cream pop or an A&W root beer for a treat.
Used to enjoy trying out different beers with Husband. He used to brew his own and liked to try out local breweries. Right Brain makes one called Chubby Squirrel that I really liked.
Had a buddy in Colorado Springs who brewed the best honey mead I have ever tasted, I would drink a 12 pac of Coronas. And give him the bottles he in turn gave me a 6 pac of the mead. I believe it was around 8%

Be on the look out for a bourbon
Named
Larceny. Smooth earthy barrel taste
I guarantee you will like it,
It's my favorite, I keep other stuff on hand for friends that want to mix a drink.

IMG_0532.jpeg

H2O, maybe some coffee, Saw a video short where it was said you should not drink caffeine the first 90 minutes you are awake.
This stop the 2.00 pm crash, many people have. Most people just drink more coffee in the afternoon.
Sorry I do not have a link for video shorts . :( :(

H2O, maybe some coffee, Saw a video short where it was said you should not drink caffeine the first 90 minutes you are awake.
This stop the 2.00 pm crash, many people have. Most people just drink more coffee in the afternoon.
Sorry I do not have a link for video shorts . :( :(
I drink water the first hour I'm up. Feeding the dog and cats, getting the dog outside for his business trip. Clean kitty pans, make the bed, etc.! THEN coffee!

Well, I decided to break with routine and have some wine coolers tonight, lol... now, classy guy that I am, I don't buy wine according to the high-falutin' standards of worldly and knowledgeable wine connoisseurs, I buy it according to HOW MUCH FRIGGIN' ALCOHOL it contains, lol. To paraphrase Monty Python, it can have "a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit"---and double as parts or carburetor cleaner---but as long as it has a minimum of 12% alcohol, it's good to go! Frankly, if I'm gonna do the whole wino thing, I'd rather have FORTIFIED WINE like THUNDERBIRD, "An American Classic!" Pure class with the T-Bird on a hot date, don'tcha know? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :oops:

Alas, no T-Bird in stock at the store, so I wound up buying heaps of cheap: a 1.5L bottle of Oak Leaf Cabernet Sauvignon (13% alcohol) which I'm drinking tonight, mixing it with cranberry juice & Honeycrisp apple juice, and another 1.5L bottle of Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio Colombard (12% alcohol) which I'll use to make a fruity cooler for tomorrow's ride. Not a GAY cooler, just a FRUITY cooler with Honeycrisp apple juice and maybe a dash of the cranberry juice, which I'm trying to get rid of in my fridge, lol. I can actually choke down this Cabernet Sauvignon with the fruit juices mixed into it, go figure, normally I'd be sprayin' the wine alone and reachin' for a beer, lol. 😒

Oh, and just so y'all know, I'm using a tall glass (actually made of glass) that holds at least a pint, and I have two ice cubes plus a plastic straw in my drink, lol. A PINK straw, no less... I'm trying to get rid of those too, and saving the other party colors for visiting guests. Somehow that reminds me of my brother Pete, who always bought pink lighters back in high school & college party days... less likely to be stolen, you understand, though one would occasionally go MIA, lol. Son!!! I'm tellin' ya, it takes a SPECIAL kind of DIRTBAG to steal a PINK LIGHTER! Damn... some people's kids!!! No class whatsoever! Moi, when I wanted to "borrow" a lighter, I went for the black ones or the purple ones, 10-4? ;)

Well, this cheap skid row vino is kicking in for real now, the straw helps in that respect, lol. Does anybody here remember making wine coolers out of Spanada and 7-Up? Back in high school days? The girls went for those wine coolers more than beers, so occasionally we had to oblige 'em and choke down that Spanada cr@p, lol. I'm talking mass quantities in those days, with half a dozen of us (or more) pounding those wine coolers... we were ALL about MASS QUANTITIES in those days, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, well, we had fun and occasionally got lucky, if the gal wasn't too busy blowing chowder into the Porcelain God, lol. Meh, those things happened, all part of the drill, ya know? :confused:

ALRIGHT, I'M BACK TO MY VINO, I GOTS TALL GLASSES TO GO YET!!! I TOOK A PIC FOR YOUSE HEROES, COMPLETE WITH THE PINK STRAW, SINCE I'M MAN ENOUGH TO DISPLAY IT, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! o_O

IMG_2974.JPG

P.S. Nice 3G flip-phone in the background... didn't I say we were CLASSY here? Hey, at least the BOOK rocks, lol... er, I mean STRATEGIC RELOCATION, not the stinking phone book, AYE? :cool:

Last edited:
Aw man, now that brings up some memories! I remember buying a case of Boone's farm country quencher/wild mountain and my brother and I got started in on it right about 10:00 the night before Thanksgiving. Not only did we empty that case out, but somehow we managed to build a pyramid out of those empties! 0_0 Drunken engineering? who knows. anyway, I looked at it and the empty Boxes and said:
"Bro, I think we got a drinking problem, that was a two week supply!"
Yeah, problem was, we was out until Monday! :(

Wingnut, you talked me into it. I'm headed for the Jameson bottle. Don't do anything with the body until the morning. I have a tee time at 9:30. :drink buddy:

1669686953704.png

Wait a minute... I don't wanna be charged with "Contributing to the Delinquency of an Adult!!!" :eek:

Oh I don't need any help. I have been delingquent on a lot of things, but drinking was never one of them. Besides, this fulfills one of my true purposes in life: being a bad example.

Besides, this fulfills one of my true purposes in life: being a bad example.

Haha, Morgan101, I hear ya there! But here's MY story: with my nephew and his high school friends, I was the "good time uncle" who taught them how to par-tay without getting in trouble, lol. Well, less trouble, anyway... ya know that high school kids are gonna drink, with the exception of a few teetotalers, right? So what I did was take 'em camping in the big truck, losing the 53' wagon and using the road tractor as a 10-ton RV, lol. Once we were out in Lark Canyon or some similar primitive camping venue, they could cut loose all they wanted and NOBODY would be around to b!tch or whine about it, lol. I tried to teach 'em to find a good spot, hunker down, party hard and STAY PUT till morning... no DUI action, though they could cruise around in the immediate area (miles from pavement) without any hassles or worries. I also tried to instill this "party ethic" for citified use, getting rigged up to party and then hiding the car or truck keys till manana... walk wherever ya need to go, but don't DRIVE, aye? ;)

So, does THIS make me a GOOD UNCLE or a BAD UNCLE??? I'd like to think I was a GOOD UNCLE, but I'm sure some teetotalers will frown upon my actions, lol. Hey, at least they were SAFE in one bad@$$ remote mountain or high desert location when they partied, and there was NOBODY around to complain or call the cops about the truck stereo CRANKED to the limit, lol. No ghetto rap, just rock & roll, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, David Allan Coe, Marty Robbins et al round the blazing campfire under a million stars!!! I like to think that SOME of that training was put to good use later by those young adults... oh, yeah, I also let them take turns sleeping in the truck, as the LAST place on earth I wanted to sleep during my time off was IN the truck, lol. They ate that $h!t up, lol, while I enjoyed tent camping as I always have, it's no great imposition for me to sleep in a tent with a nice warm fartsack or two atop the sleeping pads and/or inflatable queen-sized air mattress, AYE? Not a problem... :camping:

i just got my christmas present from my 95 ur old daddy--God bless his redneck heart. it is a case of wine from a place in CA called NakedWines.com

my daddy, who can squeeze a nickle til the buffalo yelps. was very proud to tell me he got a case of 12 bottles including shipping for under $100. seems they have specials all the time, and he said he liked the wine.

it is a wine club. with first order it is membership BUT you can cancel at any time. he said heemailed them and told them up front hed like to buy a couple cases for christmas gifts but it was a one time thing and felt bad but couldnt afford to do a monthly account. they said that was ok, happens all the time and they are glad to move product hoping people will like it and want to join.

they send out discount cards all the time. my sister liked it so much she also ordered a case but when it arrived cancelled the membership and had no problem.

i opened a bottle of chardonnay and it is quite nice. this is a group of several small wineries trying to moved stuff.

link to some of their discount coupons. some very good deals. heck if the world is gonna go to crap, ya gotta have a bottle of wine, right?

https://www.groupon.com/coupons/nakedwines

"BOP, BAH-DAY, SHOOBIE DOOBIE DOOBIE DOO WAH!!!" :rolleyes:

Dang, these stout wine coolers are doing a NUMBER on my feeble brain, time to log out and watch some entertainment on the 65" Samsung 6 Series curved screen, AYE?!? :thumbs:

Now, Magus, PAY ATTENTION! I'm gonna watch ENTERTAINMENT, not STINKING GLOBALIST PROPAGANDA!!! :oops:

There, see how EASY that was? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! But "I STILL LUV YA, MAN!!!" ;)

Same goes for 'DOOM & GLOOMER' Jazzy!!! Where would we be without the two of ya? Keep up the good work!!! :eek:

ALRIGHT, I'M OFF TO GET SNOCKERED... AND MACK ANOTHER TURKEY PLATE B4 I CRASH!!! CHEERS!!! :cool:
TOMORROW, WE RIDE!!! WOOHOO!!! NO DIRTY GLOBALIST SWINE PERMITTED!!! :dancing:

"BOP, BAH-DAY, SHOOBIE DOOBIE DOOBIE DOO WAH!!!" :rolleyes:

Dang, these stout wine coolers are doing a NUMBER on my feeble brain, time to log out and watch some entertainment on the 65" Samsung 6 Series curved screen, AYE?!? :thumbs:

Now, Magus, PAY ATTENTION! I'm gonna watch ENTERTAINMENT, not STINKING GLOBALIST PROPAGANDA!!! :oops:

There, see how EASY that was? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! But "I STILL LUV YA, MAN!!!" ;)

Same goes for 'DOOM & GLOOMER' Jazzy!!! Where would we be without the two of ya? Keep up the good work!!! :eek:

ALRIGHT, I'M OFF TO GET SNOCKERED... AND MACK ANOTHER TURKEY PLATE B4 I CRASH!!! CHEERS!!! :cool:
TOMORROW, WE RIDE!!! WOOHOO!!! NO DIRTY GLOBALIST SWINE PERMITTED!!! :dancing:

lol wingnut looks like them wine coolers done kicked in for ya. have a lovely evening and enjoy yourself.
ah but kind sir, i feel i must strongly protest the doom and gloomer title, really, im a ray of sunshine, i swear! just pointing out the building storm clouds over the ridge glaring at us getting ready to kick our tuckus is but a mere gift displaying my super powers.
dont ya know, theres always some jazz before a storm. :p

Last edited:
Over the weekend, I had a bottle of white wine that I didn't like. I have a rule, that I don't drink anything I don't enjoy (that's how I try to save my liver), so I almost poured it down the drain.

But, rather than throw it away, I made wine spritzers. In a tall glass:
  • ice cubes
  • generous pour of wine
  • generous pour of pink grapefruit juice (I like grapefruit juice. You can use another juice, such as a shot of lemon juice.)
  • fill glass with club soda. (I used La Croix Pamplemousse...which is just club soda with a hint of grapefruit, but no sweetness whatsoever. All the sweetness comes from the wine and the juice. The club soda just adds fizz.)
The spritzers tasted great...and went down a little too fast. :)

As far as Thunderbird is concerned, I understand that it is fortified wine (wine with alcohol added, and some flavoring). Most wines are 12-14% alcohol, so if 14% is what you are looking for, I'm not sure you need to go to Thunderbird. I suppose some wines are as low as 6%, so maybe they are beefing up that wine to give it more kick?

Sherry is also a fortified wine...and it is usually around 17-21% alcohol. So, if you want more punch than regular wine, you might consider looking into buying some sherry, so you can look down your nose at Thunderbird drinkers... ;) ...and sherry might taste better?...and you can add flavoring if you want (like the juice). I've actually never been a fan of sherry, but it is extremely popular in Spain, where it originated. A cheap port might also work. Port is wine that is fortified (alcohol added) before fermentation is complete, so it has more sugar already in it.

[Side note: My wife would buy "cooking sherry" at the grocery store, which is an undrinkable sherry. I pointed out to her that she can buy actual, drinkable (and cheap) sherry for much less at the liquor store, and cook with that. The bottle is probably twice the size, and the cheapest ones will cost about the same...much less per ounce. So, there is a tip for you: don't buy cooking sherry; buy drinking sherry. Why would you want to cook with something that is undrinkable? Some cooking sherry has salt added, so it is shelf stable. You can add salt to your dish if you use drinking sherry...or add salt to the drinking sherry so you don't have to refrigerate it.]

Last edited:
I'm enjoying a Southern Tier Old Man Winter beer right now. I have an experimental beer I'm brewing that's ready for the keg tomorrow, a German (not American!) Budweiser-style beer in the fermenter, and also a Fat Tire clone in another fermenter. And, I'll be kicking off a cabernet sauvignon tomorrow.

I'll taste samples of these, but they're intended as gifts for others. It's inexpensive, hones my skills, and I've never had any complaints (but I have received empty bottles back for refilling).

Sounds good... I'm just having a tinny of domestic after a long day on my feet. Goldurned ex-Infantry feet are TIRED, so I'm sitting down and relaxing for a change. Not in the mood to party heavily tonight, but a few cold beers sound good... :)

Latest posts

Back