What are you drinking?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water, black coffee, and sweet tea mostly. Protein shakes during the workweek.

93F47223-9811-4D2B-ACA5-81C57E056F91.jpeg

Finishing off the Octoberfrst. Time for the winter beers.

About to crack a cold beer and maybe watch a movie... windy day outside and colder tonight, so no plans to go anywhere. Not in the mood for home rehab work either, and chores are all done, so BEER it IS!!! Lol. :D

Not in a beer mood, I only had two this morning while I was posting that 'Dog Canyon' thread, so tonight I'm having wine coolers again... wanna get rid of the bottles on my fridge door! Tonight's flavor is 'Colombard Lemonade!' Not bad, really, and it makes a refreshing change from beer, lol. :D

Not in a beer mood, I only had two this morning while I was posting that 'Dog Canyon' thread, so tonight I'm having wine coolers again... wanna get rid of the bottles on my fridge door! Tonight's flavor is 'Colombard Lemonade!' Not bad, really, and it makes a refreshing change from beer, lol. :D
I'll toss a few of those down on the pool float once in a while! The green ones are good. There is a pink one in my beer fridge, will probably stay there until summer, lol!

I'm having a bottle of sweet red barefoot on my incarnation day, snake bites and water on Xmas and reposado on new years. I may not drink again until spring. :p

I was called into action this week. We attended a Christmas party in our old neighborhood. We used to have a Christmas party every year and I was required under penalty of Death to bring the blender and all the fixin's.

Rick's Brandy Alexander

Fill a regular size blender with Vanilla Ice Cream
Add 2 ounces of Brandy and 2 ounces of Dark Creme de Cocoa
Blend until smooth. Add additional ice cream to top off blender

The Dark Creme de Cocoa gives a richer flavor. Using 2 ounces of each liquor in a full blender gives a milder flavor, which the women really like. Nobody wants to have this drink knock their hat in the creek. It is almost a dessert, and they were thoroughly enjoyed. I know I made at least three, maybe four batches. You can add more liquor if you want them stronger, but keep the portions equal.

I was called into action this week. We attended a Christmas party in our old neighborhood. We used to have a Christmas party every year and I was required under penalty of Death to bring the blender and all the fixin's.

Rick's Brandy Alexander

Fill a regular size blender with Vanilla Ice Cream
Add 2 ounces of Brandy and 2 ounces of Dark Creme de Cocoa
Blend until smooth. Add additional ice cream to top off blender

The Dark Creme de Cocoa gives a richer flavor. Using 2 ounces of each liquor in a full blender gives a milder flavor, which the women really like. Nobody wants to have this drink knock their hat in the creek. It is almost a dessert, and they were thoroughly enjoyed. I know I made at least three, maybe four batches. You can add more liquor if you want them stronger, but keep the portions equal.
I can see this in our future.

Eggnog with a little 7 up.

I bought 3 types of egg nog today to sample them and see which one is best. I'm not done with the experiment yet, so I haven't determined which one is best. I asked someone if they ever drank eggnog, and the response was yes, with some type of alcohol in it. Not me, I just drink regular eggnog, but it reminded me of when we drank Tom and Jerry's in college.

Tom & Jerry, a hot alcohol drink

When I was attending College in Aberdeen, South Dakota, winters were frigid. It was always colder in Aberdeen than in hometown. In the winter, one of the alcoholic drinks that was served in bars was this warm drink called "Tom and Jerry".

In those days, I drank as much alcohol as I ever have, and that is not saying much. I can have a hangover and migraine from one beer. The same is true for most mixed drinks and even wine. So my drinking style amounts to having a taste or two of a drink.
Recently the topic of this drink has come up when I have been in the presence of a Tom and Jerry more than once.

Here is the recipe:

Tom & Jerry (the drink)

First prepare a batter, using a mixing bowl. Separate the yolk and white of one egg, beating each separately and thoroughly. Then combine both, adding enough superfine powedered sugar to stiffen. Add to this one pinch of baking soda and 1/4 oz. rum to preserve the batter. Then add a little more sugar to stiffen.

To serve, use a hot mug, 1 tablespoon of the batter dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot milk. Add 1 1/2 ounce rum. Fill the mug with hot milk within 1/4 inch of the top of the mug and stir. Add 1/2 ounce brandy and sprinkle a little nutmeg on top.

Latest posts

Back