What's Everybody Canning?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently started canning. This last weekend I canned blueberry jam and raspberry jam. I'm wanting to do spaghetti sauce next as my husband practically lives off of it lol. There's tons of recipes for it but I was curious if y'all had any favorite pasta sauce recipes?
This is my favorite one that I have been using for the last couple years noe. I do add in more Italian type seasonings to taste for my family.
https://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/canned-spaghetti-sauce/

Oh very nice thank you!
Don't let the soy sauce or Worcestershire scare you. I was a tad worried the first year I made it but it really is good. In fact I had given a jar to my bachelor neighbor and for the past couple years now he brings me his tomatoes so I can make up and can spaghetti sauce for him. He supplies tomatoes and jars and in exchange he is a Mr Fix It so if my hunny can't or is too busy I take whatever down to him to work on. It's a barter type thing.

4 more pints of green beans this morning.
Only have 2 rows ..producing 4 pints every other day.

IMG_20200715_104534321.jpg

Jim

It seems like everyone I have heard from had very good luck with green beans this year. I ended up with around 80 pints when I was done with them this season. I can replant once it cools off some in September.

Planted all our beans Mine 1st, they just sprouted.

Jim don't you pressure can your green beans? Also, might ask someone at farmers mkt. if you could get some seconds - better for sauces anyways.
@Dani Down here at home, I can hardly keep a bean plant alive this year - last year they were a jungle. Up the mountain however, we just got our first pickin'.
I have a ton of tomatoes, but none are ripe yet.

Don't let the soy sauce or Worcestershire scare you. I was a tad worried the first year I made it but it really is good. In fact I had given a jar to my bachelor neighbor and for the past couple years now he brings me his tomatoes so I can make up and can spaghetti sauce for him. He supplies tomatoes and jars and in exchange he is a Mr Fix It so if my hunny can't or is too busy I take whatever down to him to work on. It's a barter type thing.
Oh I think it will turn out great! I'm just hoping I can get my hands on some maters that won't cost my arm and leg lolol

Right now my garden is basically done until I replant in September. I am babying my tomatoes to hopefully keep them alive until it starts to cool off some. The tomatoes I planted in the shade in the backyard from suckers are doing well and have started putting on tomatoes with quite a few blooms. The peppers in the garden are thriving with all this heat. With humidity factored in we have been running well over a hundred. I could be growing more dry type beans right now but I have plenty in storage. Purple hulls I got close to two gallons once dried and shelled and brown Crowder close to a gallon and a half. I'll start back when we are back down in the 90s ;) . Right now everything just wants to get Sun scorched including me.

Jim don't you pressure can your green beans? Also, might ask someone at farmers mkt. if you could get some seconds - better for sauces anyways.
@Dani Down here at home, I can hardly keep a bean plant alive this year - last year they were a jungle. Up the mountain however, we just got our first pickin'.
I have a ton of tomatoes, but none are ripe yet.

The wife only does canning by hot water vat. I guess that's her preference..
Tomatoes seconds are not showing up yet.
We are hoping to get some in a couple weeks.
One guy had "ugly" tomatoes , next town over he advertised, $ 1lb.

The Amish should have big boxes of them later for like $8-$10 .
But we bought about 25 lbs of canned whole tomatoes be today for $12. That will make 18-20 pints of sphagetti sauce.

We will use them if we can't get fresh ones.
Will probably use them anyway.

Jim

Last edited:

But we bought about 25 lbs of canned whole tomatoes be today for $12. That will make 18-20 pints of sphagetti sauce.

Jim
So I'm an inquisitive little creature~ It is touted as unsafe to water bath low acid veggies (like green beans) though I'm fully aware that food was water bathed before pressure canners were available. How long does she leave them in the water bath? Does she have any old references as to processing times? I'm curious as a cat here.

So I'm an inquisitive little creature~ It is touted as unsafe to water bath low acid veggies (like green beans) though I'm fully aware that food was water bathed before pressure canners were available. How long does she leave them in the water bath? Does she have any old references as to processing times? I'm curious as a cat here.
She adds a teaspoon of sat to each pint.
She brings water to a boil, puts the beans in, adds hot water once and leaves pints in for 1 1/2 hours.
3 hours for quarts.

Her mother did it this way.

We have never had bad green beans, and some have been canned for years.

We will not eat bought green beans.

Jim

She brings water to a boil, puts the beans in, adds hot water once and leaves pints in for 1 1/2 hours.
3 hours for quarts.

Jim
Thank you!!!!!! I will still pressure can, but in case of certain circumstances, I like to know these things :) Me thinks ye found a jewel in that wife of yours ☺

Jim
How long are those processed? I have only pressure canned? I did a quick search and saw only 30 minutes nutes. On the big computer I have an old Kerr book saved and I thought it was hours for water bathing low acid foofd. I am not the canning Nazi and would never lecture an old time canner. Just really wanting to knoe. There maybe a day we are not able to regulate a pressure canner and water bath would just be easier in a survival situation.

3 hours for quarts.

Jim
Apparently you answered before I even got the question out. Thank you!

Great minds think alike! That's some good to know knowledge!!

We have been canning this way for over 40 years.
My mother only used a pressure canner for everything.
She didn't teach me. ;)

Jim
My mother is now doing some canning, but growing up (& even now) she is of the opinion "It's easier to just buy a can of XX."

My mother has never canned anything and as far as I know my dad's mom didnt while I was around her and mom's mom did make jellies but again never when I was around since I only saw her once a year growing up. Mom is one that buys everything unless she gets it from me. I had to teach myself but I love to learn from others, especially the ones that have been canning for years.

My mother has never canned anything and as far as I know my dad's mom didnt while I was around her and mom's mom did make jellies but again never when I was around since I only saw her once a year growing up. Mom is one that buys everything unless she gets it from me. I had to teach myself but I love to learn from others, especially the ones that have been canning for years.
We should be neighbors Dani 😁. I think I’ve actually said this to a couple of folks over time, but finding folks who actually want to learn is a rarity. Maybe we could live on either side of Jim and Mrs and glean their knowledge 😉

We should be neighbors Dani 😁. I think I’ve actually said this to a couple of folks over time, but finding folks who actually want to learn is a rarity. Maybe we could live on either side of Jim and Mrs and glean their knowledge 😉

Y'all come on down.

Sorry though, the closest house to me is about a mile away.

We have been taught all our lives by older folks, still learning.

I experimented a lot over the years.
Heres a tidbit, I actually found to be,
Plant your beans , peas , corn , okra seeds while still frozen. Even if you buy you seeds, put em in freezer overnight, plant while frozen. They germinate and come up a lot faster , with less skips.

Jim

We canned all our maters that were ready today. We'll just be doing small batches for now. Probably have another batch to do by Monday or Tuesday. Later this summer we'll buy a bushel or two to do large batches.
Also cut up a bunch of bell peppers and loaded all 9 trays in the dehydrator. Some cut for fajitas and such, couple trays in bits and pieces. Wife puts those in a food processor when they are dry and grinds them to a powder. Makes a nice seasoning in chili and such if folks don't care for pepper pieces.
Here are a couple pics. The third pic is a German Queen tomato. Had the wife hold it so you can judge the size. That thing has BLT written all over it.
Bell Peppers.jpg
canned maters.jpg
German Queen Mater.jpg

We canned all our maters that were ready today. We'll just be doing small batches for now. Probably have another batch to do by Monday or Tuesday. Later this summer we'll buy a bushel or two to do large batches.
Also cut up a bunch of bell peppers and loaded all 9 trays in the dehydrator. Some cut for fajitas and such, couple trays in bits and pieces. Wife puts those in a food processor when they are dry and grinds them to a powder. Makes a nice seasoning in chili and such if folks don't care for pepper pieces.
Here are a couple pics. The third pic is a German Queen tomato. Had the wife hold it so you can judge the size. That thing has BLT written all over it.
View attachment 46683View attachment 46684View attachment 46685
That's gotta be a 3lb mater.

Wow, way to go.

Jim

Latest posts

Back