What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We watched it last night, and I really enjoyed it. We have drug/alcohol addiction in our family, so I identified with that part of it and what the main character went through. I noticed that too, where mamaw had no money for food, meals on wheels came, but she was smoking a cigarette, and later there were soda pops on the pantry shelf. Was a little mixed up on the supposed ages....mamaw had the drug addicted daughter at age 13? Or maybe I was missing something. If so, they didn't look so close in age. Good movie.
The drug addicted daughter became addicted while working as a nurse, so I would imagine in her 20's. She became pregnant at 18, I think. Could be wrong about that piece, but she left Kentucky because she was pregnant. She was top of her graduating class, or second, don't remember, so she was smart and focused.

Sounds like she was more focused on mating than classes.

Effie Gray
An interesting movie, that I know not everyone will like. It is about a teenage girl who marries into a very wealthy, narcissistic family. She is savvy in dealing with her husband and his family. Dakota Fanning plays the role of Effie. She is no longer a child, but a woman.

Based on a true story, which makes it even more interesting.

Yep, the daughter was 18. But wasn't Mamaw 13 yrs old and pregnant when she left Kentucky and moved to Ohio?
Watched it again tonight. It made me think of you, raising grandchildren of adult children who have their own issues. It made me think of my own childhood, where there was always money for alcohol.

The movie spoke to me because it is about a dysfunctional family. At one point, there was money for cigarettes, but no money for food. My priorities are different than that, but have seen this in action.

They made a movie about my family?

They made a movie about my family?
Terrie9630, sadly, there are probably many families where there is always money for cigarettes and alcohol, but other things you and I consider essential items, such as food, take second place. Or the money spent on addictions removes enough money from the budget that other things such as savings, maintenance, etc., don't happen.

Last edited:
Started watching "Picard", as in Admiral Jean Luc Picard, formerly from Star Trek The Next Generation. Colorful language but other than that, i like it because I am not a critic. I am a fan. If you're a critic, you will not like it. There are Romulans in this series, haven't seen any Vulcans. There are synthetic intelligence machines and the Romulans now hate synth. Details in the series. Tidbit: Vulcans and Romulans are basically from the same race. They seem angry and self-righteous. I compare the Vulcans to the Elves (very wise), Romulans to the Dwarfs, and Klingons to the Orcs.
Heard about a new movie coming out in February called "LAND", with Robin Wright Penn (Princess Bride) as the lead and producer. Maybe she thought she should have her turn since her husband Sean had produced "Into the Wild". Looks like a good movie.

i confess to leaning towards simple shows and watch them over and over thru the years. i dont have real tv signal here so have a roku with netflix and huhlu, etc.i have a sort of rotation depending on what i feel like

WKRP
Longmire
cheers
monk
fraiser
ncis
justified
are you being served
my name is earl
rockford files
golden girls
band of brotherss
duck dynasty
and occasional dvds now and then
i like comedy, like blue collar comedy tour, jeff dunham,
ever hear of john pinette? a comedian recently passed, that guy is great. i still like to watch his stuff

Just an FYI for anyone interested. Daughter saw the new Wonder Woman movie yesterday and said it was lousy. Just another message movie to let us know how we're supposed to think. WW has been her favorite character since she was a kid so she took it really personally and called me up fuming about it. Guess I'll have to dig out the old TV series to calm her down. 😁

We are binge watching the old "The Amazing Race" seasons. They are on Amazon Prime. They have seasons 1 thru 29. They just finished season 32 on regular broadcast TV, so you can't stream the newest three seasons yet. Well, I think you can, but they're paid, and I'm talking about free streaming. (If you call Amazon Prime "free"!)

I'm afraid with the covid thing, this season 32 may be their last, which is why we're digging into the older seasons now. It's going to be quite a while before they can go gallivanting around through airports, dashing onto planes right and left again. The show is really going to bog down if we have to watch the contestants hang out waiting for covid test results and sit in quarantine before they can get on an airplane.

Short doc on Bloody babs aka Barbara Graham, usually don't watch these types of videos but 'i Want To Live ' came up on sidebar at YT.

Back