What's everyone watching?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to think what I've watched that is new to me. A week or so ago, we watched a few episodes of The Unicorn. Not bad; kind of clever. We might stick with it a few more episodes. Then again, it's been a week or so, and we haven't found the time to watch again. But, we are casual TV watchers.

Also watched the first episode of Fauda. I'll watch a few more. First show was interesting.

You can watch it in English, but halfway through, I decided to turn off the English dubbing, and switched to the original Hebrew/Arabic with English subtitles. Seemed more authentic. The English dubbing made it seem less real. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but watching with Hebrew and Arabic made it seem like I was actually watching something in the Middle East. I find that I get used to reading subtitles pretty quickly.

This is definitely something I have to watch when the wife is not around, though. She doesn't like this kind of thing, which I get.

Thursday the NCAA women's softball championship games started. There have been some great games. Actually I started watching the regional finals last week!

Last night the ladies from the University of Alabama made it into the final 4 along with James Madison U. 2 teams left to be decided, UCLA and Oklahoma are playing now, 4th inning.

I'd heard the home team girls (UofA) had a great team this year so I started watching them in the SEC regional games, those young ladies kicked some butt. They got a pitcher named Montana that has broken unversity and NCAA strike out records all year. That young lady can throw a softball!!!

I continue on with Poldark, the 2015-2019 shows. 42 episodes, each an hour long.

I can view the 1974-75 series on Hoopla, but there is a limit of 10 episodes a month. Yesterday I realized it had been a month since I had viewed the first 10 episodes, so I began to watch the next 10. There are more that I will have to wait another month to watch more of. It is always interesting to see films that are made from the same books, but made years apart, with different script writers, and with different actors. Robin Ellis played Ross Poldark in the 1970's series, and plays a judge in the more recent series. I now wonder if some of the actors in the more recent series will play different roles in another series in a few decades.

We really don’t watch anything anymore. Unless you count our periodic viewing of some favorite YouTube channels.
My television hasn't been on an hour in the last year. Between COVID baloney and the election, I needed peace! Everything I watch is online. I used to watch a fair amount of YouTube, but have really backed off of that. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Peacock, Crackle, Pluto, YouTube (free movies), Acorn TV, Vudu, hoopla, Daily Motion, tubitv, Kanopy are what I use to watch movies and programs. There are so many options out there that are free now.

Short but interesting commentary on MLMs.

A student of mine tried to get me involved in an MLM. I'm tempted to share this video with him 😏
Also remember a friend from college who joined Herbalife. I didn't know it was an MLM at the time but the way she was talking about it sounded so weird to me, I just told her "nah, I'm good."

We really don’t watch anything anymore. Unless you count our periodic viewing of some favorite YouTube channels.

Same. I really don't watch TV anymore. The new movies and series I tried watching aren't as good. My watching is very nostalgic. I watch YouTube more than anything.

Last night and tonight I'm watching US men's and women's Olympic qualifying in swimming. I just watched a 17yrold girl from Alaska qualify. No matter what happens later this kid is going to the Olympics. She was 2nd in the race but only a few 1/1000's slower than the world record! She'll probably be wearing a medal in a few weeks. Her last name is Jacoby for our members from up north.

I find qualifying enjoyable, some swimmers went to the last Olympic's but there is always new crop of kids, some still in high school, going all out for a dream.

Lonesome Dove the Series (Youtube)
Lonesome Dove The Outlaw Years (Youtube)
Watch them in order, it is just two seasons & was in the 1990's so it is over.
I have never seen those. I remember that 1990 was the year that I finished Montessori Elementary training. It was grueling. I also bought my house that year and it needed so much work. I need to find these and watch them.

"Lonesome Dove the Series" is that the original mini-series with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall? or something that came later?

I enjoyed the Olympic qualifying this week in swimming, some exciting races. Looking forward, in about 7 days the "Tour de France" starts. I've been watching it every summer for the last several years. It's a bicycle race that's a little less than 4 weeks. Some of the scenery is stunning, the french country side is beautiful in summer. These days with cameras mounted on little drones the race footage is amazing.

They race for about 2100 miles over 25 days, there are days they don't race and other days of certian special events. Average day they race for 100+ miles. Some days it might only be 50 miles in the mountains, 10,00ft in elevation changes. Other days in flat country a day might be 150 miles. Can you imagine racing a bicycle over 100 miles everyday for weeks? By the end all the racers have taken a beating. Oh, and the wrecks, I've seen wrecks that have taken 20 riders out of the race... Some of the guys are racing with broken bones, stitches, bruises... The race is actually very grueling... Those bicycle guys are tough!

Last edited:
"Lonesome Dove the Series" is that the original mini-series with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall? or something that came later?

I enjoyed the Olympic qualifying this week, some exciting races. Looking forward, in about 7 days the "Tour de France" starts. I've been watching it every summer for the last several years. It's a bicycle race that's a little less than 4 weeks long. Some of the scenery is stunning, the french country side is beautiful in summer. These days with cameras mounted on little drones the race footage is amazing.

They race for about 2000 miles in about 25 days, there are days they don't race and other days of certain special events. Average day they race for 100+ miles. Can you imagine racing a bicycle over 100 miles everyday for weeks? By the end all the racers have taken a beating. Oh, and the wrecks, I've seen wrecks that have taken 20 riders out of the race... Some of the guys are racing with broken bones, stitches, bruises... The race is actually very grueling... Those bicycle guys are tough!
I have watched Tour de France with my daughter before. It is interesting to watch, to hear about all the places, the racers, etc. Daughter has ridden across Iowa in RAGBRAI at least twice, maybe a third time. That is almost 100 miles a day, but not for weeks, only for a week. It is a big party on wheels, eating all kinds of pie. One year when she got home, I asked her what kind of pie she had eaten. She started naming them and was well over 20 pieces of pie in a week. This was before her Celiac diagnosis. I have a cousin who lives in Iowa and rides in RAGBRAI almost every year.

https://ragbrai.com/

I enjoyed the Olympic qualifying this week in swimming, some exciting races. Looking forward, in about 7 days the "Tour de France" starts. I've been watching it every summer for the last several years. It's a bicycle race that's a little less than 4 weeks long. Some of the scenery is stunning, the french country side is beautiful in summer. These days with cameras mounted on little drones the race footage is amazing.

They race for about 2000 miles in about 25 days, there are days they don't race and other days of certian special events. Average day they race for 100+ miles. Can you imagine racing a bicycle over 100 miles everyday for weeks? By the end all the racers have taken a beating. Oh, and the wrecks, I've seen wrecks that have taken 20 riders out of the race... Some of the guys are racing with broken bones, stitches, bruises... The race is actually very grueling... Those bicycle guys are tough!

The Emcomm group I used to run supplied support for bike rides in our area. We usually did 6-10 events per year. The longest one was was 115 miles. Not the same as the TDF, nor were the riders near as skilled. But we saw all kinds of conditions from near 100 degree temps to freezing, sun to freezing rain. over 10,000' elevation changes. Any crash usually took out 5-10 riders at a minimum. They ride in packs and if anyone goes down, anyone behind them does as well. I enjoyed supporting these events and the terrain we we in honed our skills as well.. Not nearly as long as the TDF as our event was over in one day, but it was a fun event for us.

Any crash usually took out 5-10 riders at a minimum. They ride in packs and if anyone goes down, anyone behind them does as well.

The packs are amazing racing, 50-80-100 riders just inches from each other... and they are flying, 40-50mph sometimes. You're right... just one little bobble from one rider or a tire slips on wet pavement and all I can see on tv is bodies flying every which way... Its rare when only a couple guys go down, it's usually 10 or 15 riders, sometimes 20 guys. Most get back up immediately and continue, jerseys ripped, blood dripping.

These guys are as tough as any professional football player.

Last edited:
Ricky Schroder played newt Dobbs, later learned he was the son of Woodrow F. Calls played by Tommy Lee Jones in 1970 Series .
These are the story of Newt Calls after the 1970 show ended & newt drifts into a Montana hole in the ground called Curtis wells Montana 1878.
It aired in 1990's & is on youtube now.

Part II Newt Call ride off at the end of I & returns in II, same actor but some time after series I.

The packs are amazing 50-80-100 riders just inches from each other... and they are flying, 40-50mph sometimes. You're right... just one little bobble from one rider or a tire slips on wet pavement and all I can see on tv is bodies flying every which way... Its rare when only a couple guys go down, it's usually 10 or 15 riders, sometimes 20 guys. Most get back up immediately and continue, jerseys ripped, blood dripping.

These guys are as tough as any professional football player.

Lots of broken collar bones in those groups when they go down. We called in medical care one year 11 folks went down, 8 broken collar bones. I guess it's a common thing.

Latest posts

Back